5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P1DF3 Code - dealer say will reset in 800-1000 miles??

NewToRAM

Reaction score
Hey all... I recently replaced the battery on my 2019 Laramie with 53K miles. After replacing the battery all is well and starts fine with no CEL lights on the dash. As I live in an area that requires an every-other-year emissions e-check I stopped into the self test kiosk and the scanner reported that it couldn't communicate with my ECU. The full service bay reported the same problem. Returning home my scan tools reports the same code P1DF3. I called the dealers service department and the service advisor asked if I had changed the battery recently. When I acknowledged I had he said that the ECU would inititate but might take 800-1000 miles. Does this sound right?? I've never heard of this before.

NewToRAM

Reaction score
Yes I did. I never start it up and put it in drive right away. It runs fine with no CEL lights

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes I did. I never start it up and put it in drive right away. It runs fine with no CEL lights
It probably won't take that long, but he told you longer, because if he told you 100 miles, and it didn't re-set at 110, you would worry.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It needs a couple of Start/Stop Cycles to reset it properly.

I will be pulling my TIPM soon to wire in my Cab Clearance Lights in the '21 1500 Laramie.
There are no fuse contacts in F12 for the lights.

Malodave

6of36

Reaction score
It needs a couple of Start/Stop Cycles to reset it properly.

I will be pulling my TIPM soon to wire in my Cab Clearance Lights in the '21 1500 Laramie.
There are no fuse contacts in F12 for the lights.

Malodave
That's because they don't offer them on your truck, so they don't have the contact.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's because they don't offer them on your truck, so they don't have the contact.
Well I found out that F12 fuse slot does get power with the Running lights. So I
will pull the TIPM and solder on an Inline fuse to the PCB and out the Top of the
Fuse section. The connect the wire to the Cab Lights. The Correct Pad for power
is the side torward the center of the Truck. The Micro2 inline fuse holder will be
here Friday.

Malodave

Edit: It is actually F11 not F12

Last edited:

6of36

Reaction score
Well I found out that F12 fuse slot does get power with the Running lights. So I
will pull the TIPM and solder on an Inline fuse to the PCB and out the Top of the
is the side torward the center of the Truck. The Micro2 inline fuse holder will be
here Friday.
I would actually get the right connector, and install it from the bottom of the fuse box, in the open slot. Has a much cleaner look. But then, I own the proper crimper for factory connectors.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
here Friday.

Malodave

Edit: It is actually F11 not F12
Where is the TIPM located on tue DTs?

Jako

Reaction score
Hey all... I recently replaced the battery on my 2019 Laramie with 53K miles. After replacing the battery all is well and starts fine with no CEL lights on the dash. As I live in an area that requires an every-other-year emissions e-check I stopped into the self test kiosk and the scanner reported that it couldn't communicate with my ECU. The full service bay reported the same problem. Returning home my scan tools reports the same code P1DF3. I called the dealers service department and the service advisor asked if I had changed the battery recently. When I acknowledged I had he said that the ECU would inititate but might take 800-1000 miles. Does this sound right?? I've never heard of this before.
I have been told by my mechanic that some vehicles do not reset very readily in the 50-100 mile range.

The process can be speeded up by following certain steps. I do not know them for the Ram but became aware of the procedures when trying to pass the NY inspection for a Honda Fit. Below is an example for a Honda.

6of36

Reaction score
That is what thought you may say, it's not a TIPM. It is a PDC.
Different people have different terms for different things. Some are carry overs. Someone was asking about an inertia switch, and I had no clue what he was talking about, until I searched it. As a mechanic from years past, we always called them roll over switches. Terms change. You being a current mechanic, know the proper current terms.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Different people have different terms for different things. Some are carry overs. Someone was asking about an inertia switch, and I had no clue what he was talking about, until I searched it. As a mechanic from years past, we always called them roll over switches. Terms change. You being a current mechanic, know the proper current terms.
To a point you are correct, calling a fuse box a module I think needs to be corrected. I think the last time I quoted a TIPM it was around $1300 and a PDC is about $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online