5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P1400 code from getting a custom tune?

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
Hi to everyone, I’ve got a 2022 rebel gt that I got in December. Bought the extended warranty 140,000km or 6 years. I wanted to get a custom tune, but, I’ve been told that it would leave a permanent P1400 code that the dealer would/could see if there ever was ever a warranty claim. Is this true? And if so, didn’t Dodge come out with their own program, power brokers I believe it’s called?
Would appreciate any advice to this situation. The custom tuner is in Ottawa, they said they stay within the manufacturer specs, so it wouldn’t void the warranty. I asked them about the P1400 code and they said that was an old issue. Would like to have a solid answer.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hi to everyone, I’ve got a 2022 rebel gt that I got in December. Bought the extended warranty 140,000km or 6 years. I wanted to get a custom tune, but, I’ve been told that it would leave a permanent P1400 code that the dealer would/could see if there ever was ever a warranty claim. Is this true? And if so, didn’t Dodge come out with their own program, power brokers I believe it’s called?
Would appreciate any advice to this situation. The custom tuner is in Ottawa, they said they stay within the manufacturer specs, so it wouldn’t void the warranty. I asked them about the P1400 code and they said that was an old issue. Would like to have a solid answer.
My 2022 has a tune and I don't have ANY codes. It triggers some communication codes when applying the tune, but I can wipe them and remove from history.
None of them are P1400.

What tuner are you using? Who unlocked your PCM? PCM exchange?

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
My 2022 has a tune and I don't have ANY codes. It triggers some communication codes when applying the tune, but I can wipe them and remove from history.
None of them are P1400.

What tuner are you using? Who unlocked your PCM? PCM exchange?
It would be a HPT unlocked ecu that they order and tune on the dyno, but before I go ahead, I wanted to make sure that this code doesn’t void the warranty. Apparently it can only be seen by the dealer if they looked deep enough and it’s a permanent code that flags your info in their system.

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
It would be a HPT unlocked ecu that they order and tune on the dyno, but before I go ahead, I wanted to make sure that this code doesn’t void the warranty. Apparently it can only be seen by the dealer if they looked deep enough and it’s a permanent code that flags your info in their system.
It’s a code that reads “aftermarket calibration detected”

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Even if they see a code it doesn't matter. They can't void your warranty for having a custom tune, unless the tune caused the warranty problem which at that point it was your fault and not a warranty problem anyways.

I am using my factory installed ECM that was unlocked by Diablosport after shipping it to them and everything I read from it still shows factory.

Not sure if you are referring to this "After Market ECM Detected: Default", but mine was at default before and after it was unlocked and tuned.

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
Even if they see a code it doesn't matter. They can't void your warranty for having a custom tune, unless the tune caused the warranty problem which at that point it was your fault and not a warranty problem anyways.

I am using my factory installed ECM that was unlocked by Diablosport after shipping it to them and everything I read from it still shows factory.

Not sure if you are referring to this "After Market ECM Detected: Default", but mine was at default before and after it was unlocked and tuned.
And you haven’t yet had the opportunity to see if the dealer or FCA plays hardball with warranty issues? How’s the tune with fuel and performance? Obviously you usually give up one for the other, but the tuner guy said fuel mileage and performance would be gained. It sounds great, but again, warranty is the main concern and the gains is neck and neck.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
And you haven’t yet had the opportunity to see if the dealer or FCA plays hardball with warranty issues? How’s the tune with fuel and performance? Obviously you usually give up one for the other, but the tuner guy said fuel mileage and performance would be gained. It sounds great, but again, warranty is the main concern and the gains is neck and neck.
A dealer can decline your warranty for any reason they want if they prove it.
If you are worried about a warranty you shouldn't install a single thing in your truck.
If you do something to your truck and it causes damage, you can't expect a warranty to cover it, you caused the damage.
If you never changed your oil and after 40k miles youe engine sized, do you expect them to replace it for free under a warranty? Nope.

The tune does nothing but makes the truck preform better (assuming the tuner isn't a idiot and makes your truck knock or do bad things).

You will notice improvements in driving, probably not with mpg though. It will not make it worse.

Would you be getting a tune for the ECM and TCM or just the ECM?
I found my truck did a lot better with the TCM tune then just the ECM

I tuned my new 2018 Silverado with 400 miles.
I tuned my 22 Ram as soon as Diablo could unlock the 2022 PCM (was different then 2021).

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
They would tweak both the ECM and TCM and said they say within the factory specs. They are a very reputable shop. Hmm I’ll have to weigh the pros and cons out on this one. I actually don’t mind the etorque shutting down in traffic and the eco doesn’t bother me when just coasting or foot of the gas driving. I just want the pedal lag gone and an extra 80-100 hp/torque isn’t a deal breaker.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
They would tweak both the ECM and TCM and said they say within the factory specs. They are a very reputable shop. Hmm I’ll have to weigh the pros and cons out on this one. I actually don’t mind the etorque shutting down in traffic and the eco doesn’t bother me when just coasting or foot of the gas driving. I just want the pedal lag gone and an extra 80-100 hp/torque isn’t a deal breaker.
Well you are not getting 80-100 hp or torque from a tune.

You can turn off auto start-stop using an auto start-stop eliminator cable which just gives the truck memory that you turned it off.

For eco, I assume you are referring to MDS going down to 4 cylinders. That would require a tune, or at a minimum an unlocked ECM using a stock tune with a modified parameter. If you didn't have a GT you could put your truck into gear select 8, but I don't think you can do that on a GT? (or can you?)

The pedal lag will likely stay. I have it on my 22 with a tune
You can get other plug in devices like a Sprint Booster, Pedal Commander, etc.
I have the Sprint Booster and it doesn't reduce lag like it says, but it does adjust the sensitivity of the pedal on the fly which is still nice so I kept it.

There are other devices like the Pulsar you can look into which might be more up your alley. It goes between your PCM and the truck and sends fake signals etc to make the truck drive in different modes, not as good as a tune but I hear only good things about it and it's untraceable as you aren't unlocking your PCM or adjusting the actual tune.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Everything that @Darksteel165 said holds true. I will add that if you choose to go with the Pulsar, you might have the same experience as me. The Pulsar doesn’t work well on the GT, as it always forces the truck to start in first gear and you manually have to shift. I never did get any confirmation from Diablo/Edge that they fixed it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Everything that @Darksteel165 said holds true. I will add that if you choose to go with the Pulsar, you might have the same experience as me. The Pulsar doesn’t work well on the GT, as it always forces the truck to start in first gear and you manually have to shift. I never did get any confirmation from Diablo/Edge that they fixed it.
Yes be very careful with ANYTHING because it's a GT. I think it's fair to say almost nothing has been tested on it, and I wouldn't expect a lot of bug fixes tbh.

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
Yes be very careful with ANYTHING because it's a GT. I think it's fair to say almost nothing has been tested on it, and I wouldn't expect a lot of bug fixes tbh.
Well… I’ve got some food for thought to chew on. I really appreciate your opinions and thoughts/knowledge on this subject that I’ve been pondering. Maybe I’ll wait till something comes out for the GT’s with their etorque 5.7 mds configuration, that will improve the performance without issues. And by the way, on the 80-100 hp/trq from the tuner guy, maybe his dyno results are inflated?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well… I’ve got some food for thought to chew on. I really appreciate your opinions and thoughts/knowledge on this subject that I’ve been pondering. Maybe I’ll wait till something comes out for the GT’s with their etorque 5.7 mds configuration, that will improve the performance without issues. And by the way, on the 80-100 hp/trq from the tuner guy, maybe his dyno results are inflated?
Saying a tune can add 80-100 hp\trq is deceiving.

Depending on how many parts you install, a tune can increase by that much but the tune itself will not add that on a stock truck.
The numbers he is claiming is a 25% increase in power... a tune is not going to do that.

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
Saying a tune can add 80-100 hp\trq is deceiving.

Depending on how many parts you install, a tune can increase by that much but the tune itself will not add that on a stock truck.
The numbers he is claiming is a 25% increase in power... a tune is not going to do that.
I know, that’s why I’m gonna think and research more before I do anything. 👍🏻thumbs up to your input, really appreciate it

Choate

Reaction score
Not sure about GT but I can easily eliminate eco mode on my big horn with the gear select. All you have to do is in any gear push the - and it’s off. That will even take the truck out of eco mode. Then what gear you’re in shows up on the dash. Then push + until that goes to 8. Or you could leave it in whatever gear you’re in but it won’t shift any higher. I do this all the time. Usually when it goes into eco

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
Not sure about GT but I can easily eliminate eco mode on my big horn with the gear select. All you have to do is in any gear push the - and it’s off. That will even take the truck out of eco mode. Then what gear you’re in shows up on the dash. Then push + until that goes to 8. Or you could leave it in whatever gear you’re in but it won’t shift any higher. I do this all the time. Usually when it goes into eco
I have the paddles and the shifter with the + and - on both so maybe I’ll try it, but I actually get good mileage with the etorque and eco working together.

Users who are viewing this thread