5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overland

Camden

Reaction score
I’m starting my research for setting up my 21 Ram 1500 Bighorn for Overlanding. I’ve never done it before so I want to learn. Anyone got some input/recommendadtions from experience on the do’s and dont’s? IMG_8520.jpeg

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thanks for the tag @Eighty

@Camden you can do a quick search of my posts or you can also visit my site where I got technical discussions, findings, and stuff. Shameless to say my build is practically the Bible of Overlanding Ram 1500 DT that aims to go fast in the desert and overland as it condenses what I've learned from personal experience and professional experience as a technician/ outfitter in the past 6-going-to7 years, hence the stuff I buy are mostly top-of-the-line stuff that cost.

Here's a few things that I always recommend people starting out:
  • Before you start dumping money into your build, make sure you are OK with camping and "roughing it." I always tell my customers to buy a Coleman ground tent and sleeping bags and go spend a night at dispersed campsites to see how it goes. If that's something you see yourself doing, then go for it.
  • Overlanding involves off-pavement driving on trails, fire roads, etc. Make sure you are ok. Take your truck on some beginner trails and try it out to see how comfortable you are with off pavement driving. If that's something you enjoy, the proceed. If you already have trail experiences, then it's perfect.
  • I always tell people to have big budget for vehicle based equipment. Your truck build is something you will rely on to go out, have a great time, and come home. That said, do NOT ever cheap out on your truck build. You will want quality suspension, quality wheels and tires, and quality armors from companies that are reputable. Unlike popular opinion, Bilstein is the lowest priced suspension I'd get, mid tier would be Ironman 4x4 FCP kits, and top end would be Fox 2.5/ King/ Carli/ Thuren stuff. Wheels and tires are simple: Toyo, Falken, BFG are all solid choices, and Method and KMC are both solid choices for wheels. Armor go with White Knuckle Offroad and RCI. Both are reputable companies that are proven (and I had personal experiences with banging up their stuff on the trail before).
    • Auxbeam and the sort are popular on the forum but I personally do not have good relationship with these Chinese stuff. I can't count how many Auxbeam and Chinese knockoff lights that I had to fix/ replace for customers due to poor quality. Go with proper American made products like Baja Designs and Switch Pros.
  • For your other lifestyle equipment, it's okay for you to go cheap and gradually upgrade. These are not the things you depend your life on, so it's ok. Only exception is sleeping bag and sleeping pad. Buy quality stuff because your life will depend on those.
And no, gourmet coffee is NOT required to be an overlander. Stopping at STarbucks is also not required.
Feel free to ask me anything and everything. I'm here to help!

The Technical Stuff
The Build Thread

Users who are viewing this thread