5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overland Rack Suggestions

RollingLL

Reaction score
I just installed a soft roll up tonneau cover and probably should have thought this through before selecting a cover… but, here we are.

I’m looking for an overland rack that can be used for camping, preferably with a tent on top (whatever that’s called), and that works with a soft roll up tonneau cover.

Bonus points for something that doesn’t break the bank! Ram 3500, 2022, with 6’4” bed.

Thanks!!

DCGEM

Reaction score
A roof top tent. So, you want to budget build a rack. I have (and still am) using Unistrut or Superstrut to construct suitable and very stable racks for off road (static) use. Never had an issue with strapping anything on them at all while driving (dynamic load). There are tons of options for connectors and angles and such. A properly prepped and painted rack from this stuff has lasted a great long time without chipping and all that. Still looks good after many trips into the Colorado wild. I’m in the process of putting another rack together for my current truck.

If you want something off the shelf, Leitner Designs or RCI off road both have good products.

The benefit of a custom job is just that: you can make what you want (height, width, accessories, etc.).

Or you can get a $300 ladder rack from Harbor Freight and take it off when you are not using it.

cervelo15

Reaction score
I’m also watching this, as this just piqued my interest. I’m looking for an overland rack that doesn’t interfere with a soft roll up cover.

im interested in it because our luggage for trips has expanded exponentially (not sure how that happened). So I figured having this rack I can store my bike and a hard box with lock to put some luggage in and still put more stuff in the bed of the truck. Also can use it to take out the kayak and SUP.

Plus we do some beach driving, so I can mount the common tools on the side panels for easy access instead of them sloshing around in the bed of my truck.

SkeeterJackson

Reaction score
There is a company called Billie Bars that i just stumbled upon. It looks like you can install these with a soft tonneau cover installed as well.

Users who are viewing this thread