5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Over-the-air software updates?

DevinB

Reaction score
Have a 2021 Limited...came out to the truck one night in the garage to get something and it was right in the middle of a software update...uhhh ok. Didn’t know that was a thing or that they could update my truck without my consent/knowledge or even tell me what was in the update? Guess there’s a cellular SIM in there somewher. At any rate, after the first update the audio system sounded WAY bette. Boomy bass was gone. I think it just did another update today...because now my apple car play doesn’t work with either my phone or my wife’s and there’s some new icons on Uconnect that were not there before....

What’s been your experience with these updates, if any?

CanRebel

Reaction score
Have a 2021 Limited...came out to the truck one night in the garage to get something and it was right in the middle of a software update...uhhh ok. Didn’t know that was a thing or that they could update my truck without my consent/knowledge or even tell me what was in the update? Guess there’s a cellular SIM in there somewher. At any rate, after the first update the audio system sounded WAY bette. Boomy bass was gone. I think it just did another update today...because now my apple car play doesn’t work with either my phone or my wife’s and there’s some new icons on Uconnect that were not there before....

What’s been your experience with these updates, if any?

It has satellite radio connection. near back window on top. It's one the things people complain that sometimes leaks.
Above the 3d brake light, that some times has caused leaks as well.

Interesting that they are able to access it with your truck off. Unless you had it on.

My truck just over month old, no updates yet, plus I'm in Canada. We either don't get them or they are usually delayed :)

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
It has satellite radio connection. near back window on top. It's one the things people complain that sometimes leaks.
Above the 3d brake light, that some times has caused leaks as well.

Interesting that they are able to access it with your truck off. Unless you had it on.

My truck just over month old, no updates yet, plus I'm in Canada. We either don't get them or they are usually delayed :)
It makes sense that they would be slower in Canada. There's a reason they say, "How do you make an old Canadian laugh? Tell him a joke when he's young." :LOL:

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine updated on Wednesday. I didn't notice anything new. To the OP, what new options did you get?

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine updated a couple of days ago as well. I haven't noticed any changes nor have I tried my apple car play to see if it still works. I'll have to check it next time I go out.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
is there any possibility this is a reason peoples batteries are running down?

this need looked into.
That seems unlikely. The power draw from a 45 minute software update should be insignificant.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The antenna for the satellite radio is also a cellular antenna, and somewhere in the truck, the rest of the cellular hardware for AT&T 4G LTE. That is how these receive their updates.

Its the same signal you'd get data on if you pay FCA's hotspot fees.

DevinB

Reaction score
Mine updated on Wednesday. I didn't notice anything new. To the OP, what new options did you get?
As far as I can tell, a new audio eq button right from the Home Screen (You used to have to drill down through the settings menu by starting the upper right of the screen)...along with a new “Phone” legend that changes to CarPlay when you plug in an iPhone...some of the font looks different too.

Wish there was a list of defects fixed or features added per OTA update. You guys aware of any info like that? And is there a setting where I can change these updates to ask me first whether I’d like to apply the update or not? Often with these updates when they fix three things they break one...like my damn CarPlay. Used to use it every day.

DevinB

Reaction score
The antenna for the satellite radio is also a cellular antenna, and somewhere in the truck, the rest of the cellular hardware for AT&T 4G LTE. That is how these receive their updates.

Its the same signal you'd get data on if you pay FCA's hotspot fees.
Thanks. Figured there had to be cellular data service built in somewhere....guess I should read the manual........later

DevinB

Reaction score
the first time I observed it in my garage, the screen was displaying update progress info...with a status bar...even saw a .jar file being extracted (type of zip file used to aggregate many files into one, popular for sw update delivery) had the word update in multiple places...I should’ve made a video...instead I just stared at it for like five minutes to watch it do it’s thing… And then I said…” Damn it’s alive”...And went back inside. That first update was when it fixed the default EQ settings that made every song sound like a rap song. They probably fixed a number of other things too, but that’s what I noticed most. The second update, I never saw it happen Because it occurred while I was at work… But when I got into the truck and tried to plug my phone in… It glitched out and wouldn’t work… And then I noticed some of the new icons that weren’t there before… And I knew what had happened.

Users who are viewing this thread