5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outside temp reading 10-20 degrees high

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi all,

First real glitch (minor) is that all of a sudden the truck is telling me I’m back in Phoenix. It was 90 outside this pm here in Raleigh area and the truck said it was 110. Flashbacks to Phoenix. Anyway, as I drove, it dropped to merely 10-11 degrees high but didnt resolve itself even after an ignition cycle. Heres a picture of driving along when the phone said 91 and the truck said 101... Ideas welcome. I searched the forum for old threads, I know I have seen something but did not find it in 1.2 milliseconds...

Attachments

• 8BFB9F7A-F604-4BFD-B142-E34DDB5F8E3B.jpeg
    8BFB9F7A-F604-4BFD-B142-E34DDB5F8E3B.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 25

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

First real glitch (minor) is that all of a sudden the truck is telling me I’m back in Phoenix. It was 90 outside this pm here in Raleigh area and the truck said it was 110. Flashbacks to Phoenix. Anyway, as I drove, it dropped to merely 10-11 degrees high but didnt resolve itself even after an ignition cycle. Heres a picture of driving along when the phone said 91 and the truck said 101... Ideas welcome. I searched the forum for old threads, I know I have seen something but did not find it in 1.2 milliseconds...
This has been reported by a few members on the A/C threads recently.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Yes I remember reading about a few complaints just didn't find it under “outdoor temperature” as all that did was bring up a bazillion ac threads... You can sure tell that’s a “hot” topic. :LOL:

Sspearsau

Reaction score
I am in Florida, and mine is doing this exact same thing. 92 degrees outside, temp gauge reads 110 degrees. In the morning before the sun beats down on it the temperature seems pretty accurate. Afternoon, it is always way off. It's almost as though the thermometer is inside the car, because I do not doubt 110 is accurate for my interior temp.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I am in Florida, and mine is doing this exact same thing. 92 degrees outside, temp gauge reads 110 degrees. In the morning before the sun beats down on it the temperature seems pretty accurate. Afternoon, it is always way off. It's almost as though the thermometer is inside the car, because I do not doubt 110 is accurate for my interior temp.
Maybe speedy can tell us where the sensor is located.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
This thread from January tells us that it is not a common thing but does happen, and the sensor is on the bottom of the drivers outside mirror... No resolution was reported though.
Ambient temperature sensor

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Hopefully someone else will have heard of a fix. A google search showed some RAM owner complaints from 2013 on.

V8Spock

Reaction score
Same for me. Temp is usually much higher than other readings from my house or nearby city.

Couldn't find a TSB on the subject but, I'm having the latest recall done next week and will ask the dealership.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Same for me. Temp is usually much higher than other readings from my house or nearby city.

Couldn't find a TSB on the subject but, I'm having the latest recall done next week and will ask the dealership.
Thanks. I haven't taken mine in for anything yet, not even close to the first oil change (probably 4K ish), so I’m just waiting.

BOZ

Reaction score

Did you get any insight from the Dealer??? obviously a chronic problem...there must be 3 or 4 threads on this topic... It is awful when something doesn't work, it hits a new level when it tells you the wrong information. We need a fix.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Nothing new that I am aware of. Other than moving the sensor or there being a future TSB...

Mill4570

Reaction score
Passed a bank today, it said the outside temp was 60 F. Truck had 57 F. 10 minutes later, I passed another bank that had the temp at 58 F. Truck still indicated 57 F. I also got stuck in some traffic that had the driver’s outside mirror in the sun. Truck continued to indicate 57. I have a 2020 Limited so I hope this issue has been resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread