5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outside air temp reading

Kenco037

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed how inaccurate the outside air temperature reading is? Even when truck is started first time in morning, it's like 5⁰F higher then my other thermometers. When truck sits in the sun, it takes forever to even come close to actual temperature. Where is the sensor?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I notice it's inaccurate when first taking off, seems to update after you drive a bit. Similar to the TPMS, which needs to turn a few rotations to update the readings, it usually shows the last readings from the last time I drove it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed how inaccurate the outside air temperature reading is? Even when truck is started first time in morning, it's like 5⁰F higher then my other thermometers. When truck sits in the sun, it takes forever to even come close to actual temperature. Where is the sensor?
Sensor is in driver's side mirror. Sitting in sun will heat soak the sensor, and before it can cook down the surrounding plastic has to as well. It's meant more for reading temp while driving, or for turning on A/C or heater on auto setting, or remote start.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
86 different threads on this. Some moron at Ram decided it would be a good idea to move the sensor from the perfect location behind the grille to the driver side exterior mirror. So now the sensor gets heat soaked really bad in the sun, AND the housing of the mirror gets heat soaked which transfers heat to the sensor via conduction. Pure stupidity for them to move the sensor to that location.

If you drive at highway speed for 5-10 minutes the sensor will acclimate most of the way and provide a decently accurate reading, but without airflow constantly passing over the sensor you will see abnormally high readings.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
86 different threads on this. Some moron at Ram decided it would be a good idea to move the sensor from the perfect location behind the grille to the driver side exterior mirror. So now the sensor gets heat soaked really bad in the sun, AND the housing of the mirror gets heat soaked which transfers heat to the sensor via conduction. Pure stupidity for them to move the sensor to that location.

If you drive at highway speed for 5-10 minutes the sensor will acclimate most of the way and provide a decently accurate reading, but without airflow constantly passing over the sensor you will see abnormally high readings.
Well, with the sensor behind the grill it would get heat soaked by the radiator after shutting engine off, or sitting at idle

St-na

Reaction score
Sensor can be reached from this opening.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230204_202541.jpg
    Screenshot_20230204_202541.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230204_194726.jpg
    20230204_194726.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 35

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine said 89 in central iowa, but the temp was really only about 82, so that’s off by 7!

Kenco037

Reaction score
Ok..that explains alot. But temp is still inaccurate when first starting in morning, before sun can heat it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok..that explains alot. But temp is still inaccurate when first starting in morning, before sun can heat it.
What are you comparing the temp to? Another thermostat at your house? News forecast?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you read your manual, at least my last one, it states the outside temperature will only be accurate above 35 MPH. It has to have airflow. Try laying a thermometer on asphalt, and see if the temperature reads the same as other thermometers.

Users who are viewing this thread