5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Out of my 2018 Ecoturd and into a 2020 Limited 5.7

patriot_tech

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just bought my 2020 Limited yesterday. Got a smokin' deal on it. Traded in my 2018 Ecodiesel - because while I liked most everything about the truck, the engine is a piece of crap. Hopefully this one works out better.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well welcome and please,post in your signature more information about that Limited..

CortC

Reaction score
I have owned a 5.7 (Good engine just very thirsty especially while towing) in a Jeep GC, the previous ecoDiesel in a 2015 Jeep GC, and a 3500 and 2500 with the Cummins and liked all of them and never had an issue with any of them. Currently have a 2020 1500 with the new ecoDiesel and love it.

Why are you calling the ecoDiesel a turd? Perhaps a little more context would be more helpful and productive?

patriot_tech

Reaction score
I have owned a 5.7 (Good engine just very thirsty especially while towing) in a Jeep GC, the previous ecoDiesel in a 2015 Jeep GC, and a 3500 and 2500 with the Cummins and liked all of them and never had an issue with any of them. Currently have a 2020 1500 with the new ecoDiesel and love it.

Why are you calling the ecoDiesel a turd? Perhaps a little more context would be more helpful and productive?
I loved mine at first too. Summer of 2018 I was getting 28 MPG. That disappeared that winter and never came back. 21 is the best I got recently. Glad I paid $1 more per gallon for diesel. The ecodiesel is riddled with issues. There is an active recall because the EGR cooler cracks, leaks coolant into the motor, causes soot to build up in the intake which eventually starts a fire under the hood and bye-bye truck or coolant destroys motor. Mine had $6000+ of work done in the last 6 weeks. They are replacing cracked coolers with the same unit (which will crack again) because the recall units to correct the problem won"t be out until at least April. I don't know if any changes were made to the current models, but a word of warning - WATCH YOUR COOLANT LEVELS. The only way to ensure a reliable vehicle is to tune and delete the EGR. Otherwise, it's not if but when you'll have problems. In my case it was 42K miles and
Check out ram1500diesel.com to learn more. I apologize if I came off harsh, but I have had a very negative experience with the ED's.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just bought my 2020 Limited yesterday. Got a smokin' deal on it. Traded in my 2018 Ecodiesel - because while I liked most everything about the truck, the engine is a piece of crap. Hopefully this one works out better.
Do you say your 2018 Ecodiesel was a POS due to reliability problems, or was it drivability problems? And if it was due to drivability, was that after the AEM (approved emissions modification) was made? Just curious what you had trouble with on your 2018 ED.
BTW, and I have no relation to Banks Engineering at all, but the do offer their Derringer tuner system for the 2014-2018 Ecodiesel in Ram 1500s, and all of Banks stuff is, I believe, EPA and CARB certified. Anyone should double-check on the certifications, but here is the link to Banks' "Derringer" tuner page for the ED: https://www.bankspowerproducts.com/Banks-Power-66581-Derringer-Tuner-with-iDash-1-8-p/66581.htm
I don't know if the Derringer fixes the AEM drivability problems or not, but I do know that Banks takes their engineering seriously, they are data-driven people, and they play by the rules. Might be worth a look for anyone who still has a 2014-2018 Ecodiesel that is having drivability problems.

HST

Reaction score
Gen 3 eco diesel has at least 80 new design changes . banks was the only company from day one to be 50 state legal and carb certified .

patriot_tech

Reaction score
Do you say your 2018 Ecodiesel was a POS due to reliability problems, or was it drivability problems? And if it was due to drivability, was that after the AEM (approved emissions modification) was made? Just curious what you had trouble with on your 2018 ED.
BTW, and I have no relation to Banks Engineering at all, but the do offer their Derringer tuner system for the 2014-2018 Ecodiesel in Ram 1500s, and all of Banks stuff is, I believe, EPA and CARB certified. Anyone should double-check on the certifications, but here is the link to Banks' "Derringer" tuner page for the ED: https://www.bankspowerproducts.com/Banks-Power-66581-Derringer-Tuner-with-iDash-1-8-p/66581.htm
I don't know if the Derringer fixes the AEM drivability problems or not, but I do know that Banks takes their engineering seriously, they are data-driven people, and they play by the rules. Might be worth a look for anyone who still has a 2014-2018 Ecodiesel that is having drivability problems.
My truck was not subject to the AEM. It covered up to 2016 iirc. The issues are with reliability. Like I said, for the vast majority of my ownership I was very happy with the truck. MPG was my only disappointment. For me it was both a work AND personal vehicle. I could not afford to be without it. I was told by my service adviser that it was going to be April before I got my truck back because even the existing bad parts were hard to get. FCA is covering loaners for that long. Then a week later they said it was done because they found a cooler somewhere.

CortC

Reaction score
Sorry you had issues, fuel economy dropping from 28 to 21 is very strange unless there was something very wrong.

The 3rd gen in the 2020 has been great, much more refined than my previous eco...

I am getting: 18 City, 23-25 combined and 29-31 Hwy depending on cruising speed.

Users who are viewing this thread