5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ORP Spring Difference?

fire_mike

Reaction score
I know the ORP springs are obviously 1" taller (for ride height), but is there any other difference between them and the non ORP springs? Specifically are the ORP springs the same rate and do they ride the same?

I'm thinking of doing the 5100's front and back, but I'm trying to decide on ORP springs for my nonORP truck. I can do ORP front and rear with the front 5100 at #5, or I can keep my springs and do the front at #7 and add a 1" spacer in the rest - if I'm not mistaken the end result in ride height is the same either way I go.

Also, I'm planning on running 33" tires (275/60R20) - is that enough tire, or will that look too small?

puba08

Reaction score
Ride height will be the same either way. Depends if you want to spend the money on coils.
Tire size is all preference. IMO 33” are too small. Why not go with 275/65R20. 34/11 roughly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

fire_mike

Reaction score
Ride height will be the same either way. Depends if you want to spend the money on coils.
Tire size is all preference. IMO 33” are too small. Why not go with 275/65R20. 34/11 roughly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Biggest reason for the 33" tire is to avoid load range E tires and their weight / size effects on the fuel economy. Although I don't know that it would be that much of a difference in the real world of driving. Now if you tell me the E tires beefier sidewall will improve handling, I might be sold ;)

Last edited:

ff13375

Reaction score
I know you said 33 but maybe this will help for reference. Mine are 275/65/18(32). Front Bilstein setting 5 with OPR springs. Rear Bilstein and 2in spacer. Diffently want bigger tires but only have 6k miles on the these so going to hold off.
20201014_171103.jpg

fire_mike

Reaction score
I know you said 33 but maybe this will help for reference. Mine are 275/65/18(32). Front Bilstein setting 5 with OPR springs. Rear Bilstein and 2in spacer. Diffently want bigger tires but only have 6k miles on the these so going to hold off.
View attachment 72469
That does help! Your tires are a tad small, but not too bad. I’ve seen pics of 34’s and 33.5’s (285/60/20), and they look good. I can’t imagine 1/2” shorter tires would make much of a visual difference (compared to the 33.5” tires).

ScottChurch

Reaction score
I have a 3.5” lift consisting of the ORP springs in the front and a 2” spacer. My rear lift is 2” achieved by a spacer as well. I have a 33x12.5r20 tire and I did it largely for the same reason as you, wanting to cut down on rotational mass. I don’t think they are too small, but only you can make the final decision.
462863B1-DF0A-4F3A-90CF-0AE9D99F18C4.jpeg
03F59A84-A7DE-4BE5-A3DB-75CF3EA72459.jpeg

CJR28

Reaction score
I just had 275/65R20 Duratracs installed on my BTS, the truck was supposed to have the springs replaced with ORP springs(see the Built to Serve thread) but the dealership installed the same springs by accident. I also had them put the 5100s on the front on setting 4 and it almost leveled my truck. I have about a 1/2 inch of rake now and it looks good with the 275/65s. I agree 33s would look too small and so far the 34s drive and handle better than the stock oem Falkens

Ibanez540r

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but curious if fire_mike ever pulled the trigger. I'm curious what he went with and the look. Trying to make a similar decision to the OP.

fire_mike

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but curious if fire_mike ever pulled the trigger. I'm curious what he went with and the look. Trying to make a similar decision to the OP.

I don't have much in the way of pics of how my truck is now, but I do have this one. I ended up going with Eibach shocks al the way around with my non off road springs. Front is set at the highest notch (2.75"), and I added a 1/4" spacer that I made. Rear has a 1.5" spacer to keep some of the rake (little more noticeable in person than in this pic). I kept the stock 20's and put on 275/60R20 Toyo AT3's - I didn't go taller because I didn't want to kill fuel economy too much just for looks. I now have 1.5" wheel spacers in front and 1.75" in back so the wheels aren't tucked in (they are on in this pic).

Truck pic.jpg

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have much in the way of pics of how my truck is now, but I do have this one. I ended up going with Eibach shocks al the way around with my non off road springs. Front is set at the highest notch (2.75"), and I added a 1/4" spacer that I made. Rear has a 1.5" spacer to keep some of the rake (little more noticeable in person than in this pic). I kept the stock 20's and put on 275/60R20 Toyo AT3's - I didn't go taller because I didn't want to kill fuel economy too much just for looks. I now have 1.5" wheel spacers in front and 1.75" in back so the wheels aren't tucked in (they are on in this pic).

View attachment 108610
How's your MPG? It looks very nice. Also what do you think about the Eibach coilover kit?

fire_mike

Reaction score
What brand of wheel spacers did you go with

I got Coyote ones from Amazon. They are beefy as hell, and well made.

How's your MPG? It looks very nice. Also what do you think about the Eibach coilover kit?

MPG isn't bad at all. I have the 5.7 eTorque with 3.92 gears. I went on a trip from Phoenix to Colorado a couple months ago, and averaged almost 20 mpg. A couple weeks ago I did a 2,900 mile road trip from PHX to Montana and Yellowstone, and that trip averaged 18.9 - problem was from Salt Lake to Flagstaff we were driving into a 20-30 mph wind almost the whole damn time (driving 78-80mph). Around town the worst I get is usually in the 15's.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got Coyote ones from Amazon. They are beefy as hell, and well made.

MPG isn't bad at all. I have the 5.7 eTorque with 3.92 gears. I went on a trip from Phoenix to Colorado a couple months ago, and averaged almost 20 mpg. A couple weeks ago I did a 2,900 mile road trip from PHX to Montana and Yellowstone, and that trip averaged 18.9 - problem was from Salt Lake to Flagstaff we were driving into a 20-30 mph wind almost the whole damn time (driving 78-80mph). Around town the worst I get is usually in the 15's.
Man not bad at all. Great looking truck!

20on22s

Reaction score

View attachment 108610
How’s the ride quality on the highest notch on the eibachs? I’m debating between sticking with my nonORP springs or replacing with front eibach springs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/