5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordering New Side Steps This Weekend - Letting Community Decide Which Ones I Go With!

N-Fab EpYx or N-Fab 3" Round Steps

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SlowPoke

Reaction score
They don’t necessarily have a drain hole but they have cuts on the steps . Even if you were to get water on them I don’t see the water being held on the step because of the design. Mud might be a different story, but water and snow shouldn’t be an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not the steps. The bar that runs along cab.

SlowPoke

Reaction score
This. Letting water in, with no way to drain out.
f7b07df3b7aaab9a38ab2e768e5e060c.jpg

SlowPoke

Reaction score
Lol no no. Don’t do that!!

So it’s not enclosed. Good info

Alexxmackk

Reaction score
This. Letting water in, with no way to drain out.
f7b07df3b7aaab9a38ab2e768e5e060c.jpg

I apologize I miss understood. But yea the back is open so whatever goes through will come out

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
Holy crap. You did go get pics!

Thanks man!

Also for what it's worth.. I'm 6'7 with a size 15 shoe and there isn't a whole lot of room on the step but there's enough for me to still easily use it but I can't fit my whole foot o nit... My wife however with normal chick feet has zero issue.

Jokersreven9e

Reaction score
I voted N-Fab EpYx, but make sure you read the reviews carefully, there are apparently some issues with quality control and the powder coating coming off and rusting from a few sites when I looked into them for my truck a few months ago.

Maybe get them spray bed lined before installing?

Also, if you haven't had running boards installed on your truck before, you will need to clean the bolts on the body. Highly recommend a 8mm x 1.25mm die to clean the threads. Will make your life a lot easier. Buy the die, thread it on, then use a 1" socket wrench to screw it down all the way to the bottom cleaning all the theads. The bolt threads will be so clean when you are done you will be able to thread on the nuts with you fingers. RAM recommends 15 ft-lbs of torque for the nuts.

Here is a link for the die: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015UXIOE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Great idea, ordered the die.

After cleaning the threads via a die, do you paint or rubber coat any remaining part of the exposed threads to prevent rust (whatever is exposed still at the end after the step and nut is secured)?

If so, thoughts on what to use to coat them?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

After cleaning the threads via a die, do you paint or rubber coat any remaining part of the exposed threads to prevent rust (whatever is exposed still at the end after the step and nut is secured)?

No, I think they are stainless or special coated, they haven't shown any rust at all, though I live in a non-rust belt state.

However, if they do start showing signs of rust, I would just spray them with Corrosion-X annually. You can get it in a spray can, works amazing on removing existing rust and preventing it. Works amazing on all metals and even live electronics. We use them on our RC boats, which have sensitive electronics and run in salt water, spraying down electric motors and radio/receivers, protecting electronics from salt water.

If you use it on rusty metal, just spray and leave it, in a few days the rust will disappear completely. It will also prevent rust from appearing.

You can get smaller cans for cheaper than this, but here is an example: https://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-X-Corrosion-Technologies-91002-Corrosionx/dp/B0009GYRWW

Tex_Ram

Reaction score

I live in Houston so not much rust but I didn't coat mine with anything and was under there yesterday and there is zero rust on the exposed threads almost 9 months later.

Users who are viewing this thread