5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Options for talking on the phone with CarPlay

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Been using CarPlay for awhile, as I have a non-nav radio. When I get or make a call, the only options my phone give are CarPlay and speaker. Bluetooth gives an extra option for private calls straight on the phone itself. I sometimes use this option when the other party can’t hear me too well, but I don’t want to unplug my phone and lose my Waze map.

Is there any way to enable the “iPhone” option when using CarPlay?

Thanks

Spokes

Reaction score
You should be able to select your phone under the device manager option.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean. Can you explain in further detail? Thanks

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Been using CarPlay for awhile, as I have a non-nav radio. When I get or make a call, the only options my phone give are CarPlay and speaker. Bluetooth gives an extra option for private calls straight on the phone itself. I sometimes use this option when the other party can’t hear me too well, but I don’t want to unplug my phone and lose my Waze map.

Is there any way to enable the “iPhone” option when using CarPlay?

Thanks
It's a safety thing, and I don't think you can switch to talking on the phone itself when using carplay. But I can't say I've ever had anyone not be able to hear me talking handsfree through the truck mic and speakers.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's a safety thing, and I don't think you can switch to talking on the phone itself when using carplay. But I can't say I've ever had anyone not be able to hear me talking handsfree through the truck mic and speakers.
I gotcha. I talked to one of my friends who has an aftermarket radio (not in a ram) which has CarPlay. His gives the option. Another reason I would like that to work is for if you get a phone call you don’t want everyone else in the truck to hear.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I gotcha. I talked to one of my friends who has an aftermarket radio (not in a ram) which has CarPlay. His gives the option. Another reason I would like that to work is for if you get a phone call you don’t want everyone else in the truck to hear.
Aftermarket radios are kind of exempt from a lot of the safety features OEM stuff has to abide by.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
just to clarify, this is what I’m looking for

1673922787717.jpeg

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Can someone see if their iphone has the same behavior using carplay (plugged in)?

Users who are viewing this thread