5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OPT 7 Installation with MFT - Multi Function Tailgate

RamVader

Reaction score
I installed the OPT 7 Triple Row LED light bar this weekend. I have the MFT ( Multi Function Tailgate ) and read somewhere that it will not fit. After hours of test fitting and a few cuss words. I made it work! I decided to post what I did just in case anybody else wants to do this set up with their MFT.

1. If you are doing this by yourself ( which I did ) I highly recommend you get a couple of 1.5" L brackets and some heavy duty peel & stick Velcro to temporarily hold the light bar in place so you can make your marks to line up you clips etc. This will save you a lot of frustration on trying to hold the light bar straight and lined up with the top of the bumper to mark your lines. Plus it is a ***** to fish out when falls down into the bumper. The 2 bumps on both ends of the plastic backing need to be cut out so the bar can sit further back to prevent rubbing. NOTE: the bottom row of LEDs needs to be flush with the top of the bumper or it will sit to high and rub on the tailgate!

Step_1.jpg
Step_2.jpg
2. I lined up the actual LEDs 1.5" from the line on the bumper on each end so the LEDs are centered
Step_3.jpg
3. I cut a thin piece the loop / soft side of the heavy duty the with of the top of the light bar and stuck it to the top of the bar to prevent scratching the tailgate from scratching. There is maybe 1-2 mm of clearance at the most!
Step_4.jpg
4. You definitely want to get yourself a pair of these surgical locking pliers ( I don't know the official name for them ) Harbor Freight sells them in a set. They work great for holding the clips while you drill / screw the clips in.
Step_5.jpg
5. I used a Dremel with a bit to cut out the plastic bumps on each end. I then covered the holes with the Hook / rough part of the Heavy Duty Velcro. This step kills two birds with one stone. It covers the hole and it provides and extra attachment point for the light bar. I peeled off some of the red plastic covering over the sticky tape on the back of the light bar and stuck the peel & stick loop / soft end to the back ends of the light bar so it can attach to the Hook Velcro covering the hole.
Step_6.jpg Step_7.jpg
6. I picked up a set of rubber washers from Harbor Freight. I ended up using the 4 X 16 X 4mm size washers from the set. No washers on the two end clips. 2 washers on the two clips on each side one clip in from the ends. 3 washers on the center clip. The light bar comes with 4 clips. I did not feel it was enough. I ended up using an extra clip that I had. It looks different from the rest but it works. These clips are pretty much universal. The extra clips that I have were from some under cabinet LED lighting strips. I also stuck the loop / soft side of the Velcro to the top of the clips to prevent scratching the tailgate.
Step_8.jpg Step_9.jpg
Here is a list of the tools and supplies I used. I mounted the clips with 6-32 Stainless steel screws with stainless steel washers and stainless steel nylon LOCK nuts to prevent vibrating loose. I also used dielectric grease in all of the electrical plugs. Including the Curt 5 pin wire harness
Tools_&_Parts.jpg
I hope this help anybody that wants to add the OPT 7 Triple light bar with MFT

RamVader

Reaction score
I forgot to include a photo of the finished product.
ae790d01fc942ac4cffd863bb893767d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skater

Reaction score
Great write up and explanation RamVader. Thank you for taking the time to put this together for the forum. (y) (y)

Smoke

Reaction score
Good afternoon, I am thinking about installing the same bar on my 2020 mft also, Have you had any issues since the install as far as the tailgate hitting or rubbing.
Thx
I forgot to include a photo of the finished product.
ae790d01fc942ac4cffd863bb893767d.jpg

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Hell of a write up man. I've considered adding a light bar there in the future so this is very helpful when the time comes. How does it look at night? As badass as I'm imagining?

rotts4u

Reaction score
I want to do this in a 2019 Ram without the split tail gate. Has anyone done that yet? with a full write up etc?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want to do this in a 2019 Ram without the split tail gate. Has anyone done that yet? with a full write up etc?
A few threads available if you search. You can mount with included clips by using spacers under the clips. I used 1/2" spacers on outside clips and 1/4" spacers on the insides.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

RamVader

Reaction score

No issues since install

RamVader

Reaction score
Hell of a write up man. I've considered adding a light bar there in the future so this is very helpful when the time comes. How does it look at night? As badass as I'm imagining?

Looks awesome at night! The white reverse light also helps with the reverse camera.

tac842

Reaction score
A few threads available if you search. You can mount with included clips by using spacers under the clips. I used 1/2" spacers on outside clips and 1/4" spacers on the insides.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Why did you used 2 different sides spacers?

bazbob

Reaction score
RamVader, thank you for all the pictures, instructions and details for doing this. I've got a Ram just like yours and Ive been wanting to do this!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Skater

Reaction score
RamVader, thank you for all the pictures, instructions and details for doing this. I've got a Ram just like yours and Ive been wanting to do this!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
RamVader did not remove his tailgate to install the OPT7. I removed mine and it made the process and install far, far, far easier; however, I followed all other instructions put together by RamVader.

Reaction score
I installed the OPT 7 Triple Row LED light bar this weekend. I have the MFT ( Multi Function Tailgate ) and read somewhere that it will not fit. After hours of test fitting and a few cuss words. I made it work! I decided to post what I did just in case anybody else wants to do this set up with their MFT.

1. If you are doing this by yourself ( which I did ) I highly recommend you get a couple of 1.5" L brackets and some heavy duty peel & stick Velcro to temporarily hold the light bar in place so you can make your marks to line up you clips etc. This will save you a lot of frustration on trying to hold the light bar straight and lined up with the top of the bumper to mark your lines. Plus it is a ***** to fish out when falls down into the bumper. The 2 bumps on both ends of the plastic backing need to be cut out so the bar can sit further back to prevent rubbing. NOTE: the bottom row of LEDs needs to be flush with the top of the bumper or it will sit to high and rub on the tailgate!

View attachment 62901
View attachment 62902
2. I lined up the actual LEDs 1.5" from the line on the bumper on each end so the LEDs are centered
View attachment 62903
3. I cut a thin piece the loop / soft side of the heavy duty the with of the top of the light bar and stuck it to the top of the bar to prevent scratching the tailgate from scratching. There is maybe 1-2 mm of clearance at the most!
View attachment 62904
4. You definitely want to get yourself a pair of these surgical locking pliers ( I don't know the official name for them ) Harbor Freight sells them in a set. They work great for holding the clips while you drill / screw the clips in.
View attachment 62905
5. I used a Dremel with a bit to cut out the plastic bumps on each end. I then covered the holes with the Hook / rough part of the Heavy Duty Velcro. This step kills two birds with one stone. It covers the hole and it provides and extra attachment point for the light bar. I peeled off some of the red plastic covering over the sticky tape on the back of the light bar and stuck the peel & stick loop / soft end to the back ends of the light bar so it can attach to the Hook Velcro covering the hole.
View attachment 62906 View attachment 62907
6. I picked up a set of rubber washers from Harbor Freight. I ended up using the 4 X 16 X 4mm size washers from the set. No washers on the two end clips. 2 washers on the two clips on each side one clip in from the ends. 3 washers on the center clip. The light bar comes with 4 clips. I did not feel it was enough. I ended up using an extra clip that I had. It looks different from the rest but it works. These clips are pretty much universal. The extra clips that I have were from some under cabinet LED lighting strips. I also stuck the loop / soft side of the Velcro to the top of the clips to prevent scratching the tailgate.
View attachment 62908 View attachment 62909
Here is a list of the tools and supplies I used. I mounted the clips with 6-32 Stainless steel screws with stainless steel washers and stainless steel nylon LOCK nuts to prevent vibrating loose. I also used dielectric grease in all of the electrical plugs. Including the Curt 5 pin wire harness
View attachment 62910
Why did you use a different number of washers when mounting the clips?

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Why did you use a different number of washers when mounting the clips?
He did that because that plastic piece under the tailgate isn't flat it curves just a bit hence using different number of washers. I went with the 48 inch version and didn't have to use any washers as it doesn't curve as much versus the 60 inch version.

Armyof1

Reaction score

View attachment 62901
View attachment 62902
View attachment 62903
View attachment 62904
View attachment 62905
View attachment 62906 View attachment 62907
View attachment 62908 View attachment 62909
View attachment 62910
2 years later and its still helping others! Thanks brother been searching far and wide for ideas on how to install,,,!

Users who are viewing this thread