5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opportunity Came My Way.... Borla Exhaust.... Questions... B2 Fab

Shmannion13

Reaction score
Installed borla s-type just about two weeks ago and when I get on the truck and it’s high rpm right before it changes gears I hear a noise almost like a horn or something. I have no idea what it could be looking for any help

popcenator

Reaction score
Installed borla s-type just about two weeks ago and when I get on the truck and it’s high rpm right before it changes gears I hear a noise almost like a horn or something. I have no idea what it could be looking for any help
I think I know what you're talking about. I don't think it happens all the time, at least not that I notice, but I get it too. I'm wondering if it's some sort of resonance at a certain frequency.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Shmannion13

Reaction score
Yea I don’t think it’s all the time I didn’t hear it at all today.
I think I know what you're talking about. I don't think it happens all the time, at least not that I notice, but I get it too. I'm wondering if it's some sort of resonance at a certain frequency.

definitely not all the time I had to adjust one of the tips it’s was a little off and when I retightened all the clamps it was gone for couple days thought maybe the clamp didn’t seat correctly. But then two days ago it happened again and haven’t happened again since it’s weird. But when I show ppl the exhaust and I get on it then u hear that noise ( most people don’t even hear it ) it’s embarrassing a little bit. But otherwise borla s-type is very nice, cold starts are not that bad, amazing deep tone at idle. Little loud when driving around town and constantly accelerating but that’s what I paid for and then at cruising hwy speeds it quiets up a lot and u hardly notice it especially with any music on till You have to pass that slow driver in the left lane

popcenator

Reaction score
Yeah, like I mentioned, my theory is that the larger tips coupled with tone of the muffler creates a resonance in certain situations. I don't believe that you can really hear it over the exhaust itself outside but it doesn't really bother me.

Reaction score
Well I have everything almost set to go here... I’ve picked the shop that I want to order and do my install of the S-Type (place in Toronto called NoyzBoyz).. Just need to speak with my insurance adjuster on Monday to make sure everything is a go with the new shop I choose to do my install (I sure hope he doesn’t make me go back to the shop that didn’t fix my current setup 100% correctly, it works but not to my standards)

I’ve also talked to the shop and ordering an intake while I am doing my exhaust. So looks like I will probably be getting an intake as well. I would like the Vararam, but he doesn’t think he can get it because no supplier he deals with can get it. He will keep trying.

This is the order I want my intakes until he gets one of them
1) Vararam
2) S&B
3) AFE Max Force 2 (dry filter model)
4) AFE Momentum (dry filter model)

For some reason I though AEM made one for our trucks, but I can not for the life of me fine one on their site. Only a drop in.

Anyhow hopefully Monday to Tuesday I hear back from the Insurance company and maybe next week or the week after I will have my new muffler installed and intake.

Reaction score
Also, he the guy at the shop mentioned something called Sprint Booster. Apparently it just plugs into your throttle pedal, and remove the delay you get when you hit the pedal to go. You get instant power, no lag like you do right now.

Any use one of these before?

popcenator

Reaction score
I have the Sprint Booster. It does reduce the delay, but even at the highest setting it's still there. It's more for increasing throttle sensitivity.

Reaction score
I have the Sprint Booster. It does reduce the delay, but even at the highest setting it's still there. It's more for increasing throttle sensitivity.

Do you think it’s worth the price? I believe he told me $300cdn ($220 us) but might be able to give me better price because of the exhaust system and intake.

popcenator

Reaction score
Do you think it’s worth the price? I believe he told me $300cdn ($220 us) but might be able to give me better price because of the exhaust system and intake.
If you can get it cheaper, probably. I took it back out when I went for service and I really don't think the throttle delay is that bad honestly. I'll reinstall it, but I'm not going to be in a rush to do so.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I believe you are describing the MDS system. This happens when it engages and switches to from 8 to 4 cylinders.
It is the reason I got rid of my B2 exhaust. I just could not stand it every time MDS engaged/disengaged.

Cheers,

ClayFire2

Reaction score
I believe you are describing the MDS system. This happens when it engages and switches to from 8 to 4 cylinders.
It is the reason I got rid of my B2 exhaust. I just could not stand it every time MDS engaged/disengaged.

Cheers,
I've never heard this type of noise with my B2 at all. Also if its the MDS you can just deactivate it by tapping the gear - button on the steering wheel just make sure you have your gear setup to 8 and everything is great. I actually get better mpg by always deactivating. Just sucks cause you have to do it everytime you start your truck.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I've never heard this type of noise with my B2 at all. Also if its the MDS you can just deactivate it by tapping the gear - button on the steering wheel just make sure you have your gear setup to 8 and everything is great. I actually get better mpg by always deactivating. Just sucks cause you have to do it everytime you start your truck.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
Yeah. I got tired of having to do this every time I started the truck. Fortunately I had saved the stock exhaust so I just put it back in and sold the B2.

popcenator

Reaction score

Cheers,
This is different. I know what he's talking about as I get the sound too, but it's not MDS related. This happens when you get on it which MDS is not active then.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This is different. I know what he's talking about as I get the sound too, but it's not MDS related. This happens when you get on it which MDS is not active then.

Well if you are coasting along, and you “get on it”, MDS disengages and produces the same note. That’s what I assumed he was talking about (and is what I’ve experienced).

Cheers,

popcenator

Reaction score
Well if you are coasting along, and you “get on it”, MDS disengages and produces the same note. That’s what I assumed he was talking about (and is what I’ve experienced).

Cheers,
Yes, I know what you're talking about, he said high RPM after you've been on it. Different scenario.

WR986

Reaction score
I've read some conflicting post on the topic of tire sizes. I've read some people say up to 35" and the truck will adjust for the tire difference (overall 2.9" larger diameter stock to aftermarkets). Then I've read others that indicate what you just spoke about, getting a programmer.

Prior to the programmer, did you have shifting point issues or anything else like that? Or just that the speedo was off by a few miles/km per hour?

Where there issues with the electronic stability control? (I assume this is what you meant by electronic ride control and not the air ride system)

Thanks for the heads up tho.

The speedo was off which started my looking into it.
After looking into it and thinking about it the programmer made sense to me.
I've added diameter and mass to the tire/wheels and the computer isn't set for that.

After the programmer was used on her, she accelerates with more pep and smoother.
Shifting just seems correct now and not labored.
The handling was noticeably improved and is a much nicer ride.
It now rides and drives more like a stock truck.

The programmer itself isn't real expensive but in my experience very worth it for a truck with larger tire/wheel combo.
If had just fixed the speedo, i may hesitated but with all it improved id recommend it.

Reaction score
So, I was out and about today and seen another 5th GEN with a Borla exhaust I could tell by the tips. It sure had a nice rumble at the light, wasn’t overly loud at all, actually quite impressive and definitely annoyingly loud. A few notches louder than my B2 magnaflow for sure. So anyhow I roll up beside guy and asked him what Borla, he told me it was the ATAK. I turned around said I couldn’t figure out if it was the S-Type or Atak. I ask if it was too loud inside on the highway, he said no it wasn’t loud and you could hardly hear it. He did say that there was a little drone on the highway but not really bad.

Anyhow I am sort of thinking maybe I should order the ATAK instead of the S-Type. I figure if I couldn’t tell the different if that was the ATAK or S-type, then why not go with the ATAK then since I though maybe it could have been the S-Type. When he took off at the light it sounds so nice, I really actually liked it. I’m only worried about the inside if I can talk on the phone normally or listen to my radio at volume level 23-24 which is where I listen to it at the current moment and I can barely hear the magnaflow it wouldn’t bother me if the ATAK was a little louder then that.

The only worry is cold start, since this was on the road I wouldn’t hear how loud it is on cold start. More importantly winter cold start. I am also ordering the Borla Resonator so I figure if I get the ATAK and it’s too loud I can throw that in there and tone it down. I believe the reasontor will bring it down to S-type levels, is this correct? Like I said I didn’t find the ATAK too loud when I heard it, so if I would the reasontor on it would really quite it down.

You think I should go with the ATAK?

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My friend has the Atak on his 5th gen and I’ve owned the other two on mine. Cold starts on the S-type are loud so I can’t imagine how much louder the Atak would be. Unless you park away from your home or don’t have neighbors I say no for the Atak. But like you said you’re also ordering the second pice to tone it down as needed, so go for it. :)

Reaction score
My friend has the Atak on his 5th gen and I’ve owned the other two on mine. Cold starts on the S-type are loud so I can’t imagine how much louder the Atak would be. Unless you park away from your home or don’t have neighbors I say no for the Atak. But like you said you’re also ordering the second pice to tone it down as needed, so go for it. :)

Well that was why I was thinking about it because of the resonator that will tone it down. I read it’s only a step down so it will not bring it down to an S-type just somewhere in the middle. The driving around isn’t really the issue, it sounded nice. Man I am back and fourth on this lol..

I do live in a townhouse complex which means were are really close. I mean my house is attached to 5 other house on my side of the street, with that being said....

I did have the 2007 2500 Cummins Diesel with stacks, starting at all times of the day (3:00am, mightnight, 1:00am etc.) He is the other part that makes me think, I will be ok. My neighbour just purchased a 2004 Corvette with Corsa exhaust, some new cams and produced 580hp, even at idle I was standing no more then 8ft from him and couldn’t barely hear him. So I wouldn’t be the guy with the loudest vehicle on the street.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered the ATAK. Go big or go home. Its not as loud on the trucks as it is on something like a Mustang plus like you said you are getting the resonator so if it ends up being too loud you can tone it down.

Users who are viewing this thread