5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opportunity Came My Way.... Borla Exhaust.... Questions... B2 Fab

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So an opportunity has come my way where I can upgrade to a new aftermarket exhaust system. I also have the B2 Magnaflow muffler and 5” B2 black tips installed and I have the resonators sitting waiting to be installed but then this opportunity has risen and I think I want to take advantage of it while I can..

So I have settled on getting something from Borla, I think they have the best sounding exhaust for the 5.7 Hemi. I think Corsa is too raspy sounding and doesn’t enhance the deep sound of the HEMI very well. So I just can’t decide between the S-Type and Atak. I like the sound of the B2 Magnaflow, no complaints there. I just want something a little louder and more tuned to help out the MDS sound. From video’s I have seen it seems the MDS is well hidden with these exhaust plus no drone.

I don’t want annoyingly and obnoxiously (sp?) loud exhaust. Background, I used to have a 2007 Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins with 5” straight pipe from turbo to dual 8” stacks in the bed right behind my window. I DO NOT want that again (nor to my neighbours lol).

So what would you guys recommend I get based on my little story of my cummins and the fact I don’t want to to be annoying. Is the ATAK really loud both outside and inside the truck? I come home from work at 1:00am in the morning and sometimes I leave for work at 3:00am just depends on work.

I am leaning more towards he S-type but I’m also a gluten for punishment. I do want to have quite times in my cab while commuting with a little bit more noise then the B2 kit. I can survive a little loud cab noise, more so when I punch it I want to hear it roar!!

Also if this opportunity works out, I will be selling off my B2 magnaflow (20,000km/12000miles on it), resonator deletes powder coated black (never been installed) and B2 5” factory tips (1000km/620miles on them). I will try local as shipping might be crazy. You never know.

Anyhow I appreciate any advice.. I‘ve only got a few days to decide.

Reaction score
After I sell my B2 stuff I was planing on doing 1 of 2 things when I get the money.

A) Get a Vararam intake, looks really nice and sounds great as well. Only issue is they don’t sell within Canada. So I think it’s like $650 Canadian by the time it gets here I think. I can also get he S&B for $400 Canadian. So I don’t know for sure.

B) Forgo the above option and opt for getting a leveling/lift kit. Not sure which one yet but I will research when I am ready. I will be keeping the stock tires for now until I can get some 33s or 35s. I have 3.21 gears so I don’t know if it will be sluggish with 35s. Anyhow for now I just want to give it a higher stance. I love the look of the Sport Canadian model that I have but I want the truck to sit a little higher.

Not sure which option I want to go with first.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
To me if your current exhaust on hand is doing for you, then I say stick with that. As you e said anything louder you really don’t want and doing an Atak you’ll regret lol. Secondly I would wait on the lift since you’re sticking with stick tires. Find exactly the look that you want including the lift and then purchase as you can. I personally would hold off on the sounds ( CAI) and put that money towards tires and lift.

popcenator

Reaction score
The S-Type and ATAK (front what I hear) are both very loud. I was surprised by the S-Type when I first started my truck after install, and that was after months of reading how loud it was and reading the same reactions from people. Having said that, I love the tone. I ended up putting the resonator on and it's perfect for me now. Sure it's loud, but it's not a loud exhaust that sounds like crap, it's the best sounding exhaust for this truck and I've heard quite a few around here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Based on your wants/needs I would probably choose the Touring or S type. The ATAK will be too loud for your situation and you’ll likely regret it and that’s coming from someone who owns one and loves it.

ClayFire2

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So an opportunity has come my way where I can upgrade to a new aftermarket exhaust system. I also have the B2 Magnaflow muffler and 5” B2 black tips installed and I have the resonators sitting waiting to be installed but then this opportunity has risen and I think I want to take advantage of it while I can..

So I have settled on getting something from Borla, I think they have the best sounding exhaust for the 5.7 Hemi. I think Corsa is too raspy sounding and doesn’t enhance the deep sound of the HEMI very well. So I just can’t decide between the S-Type and Atak. I like the sound of the B2 Magnaflow, no complaints there. I just want something a little louder and more tuned to help out the MDS sound. From video’s I have seen it seems the MDS is well hidden with these exhaust plus no drone.

I don’t want annoyingly and obnoxiously (sp?) loud exhaust. Background, I used to have a 2007 Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins with 5” straight pipe from turbo to dual 8” stacks in the bed right behind my window. I DO NOT want that again (nor to my neighbours lol).

So what would you guys recommend I get based on my little story of my cummins and the fact I don’t want to to be annoying. Is the ATAK really loud both outside and inside the truck? I come home from work at 1:00am in the morning and sometimes I leave for work at 3:00am just depends on work.

I am leaning more towards he S-type but I’m also a gluten for punishment. I do want to have quite times in my cab while commuting with a little bit more noise then the B2 kit. I can survive a little loud cab noise, more so when I punch it I want to hear it roar!!

Also if this opportunity works out, I will be selling off my B2 magnaflow (20,000km/12000miles on it), resonator deletes powder coated black (never been installed) and B2 5” factory tips (1000km/620miles on them). I will try local as shipping might be crazy. You never know.

Anyhow I appreciate any advice.. I‘ve only got a few days to decide.
I'd be interested in the b2 black tips.. I'm in Maryland but depending on cost of shipping I'd be willing to pay that.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I'd be interested in the b2 black tips.. I'm in Maryland but depending on cost of shipping I'd be willing to pay that.

I will keep you in mind, but not sure what the shipping would be. I want to try to sell this as an all in one package, and will probably try local selling first as I know there are a bunch of 5th generation trucks running around my area. I think as a package dealer it will be appealing to people.

Reaction score
It doesn’t sound like the atak is what you want if you come home at 1am or leave at 3am. I just got my s-type installed today and it is much louder than what I heard in sound clips so I can’t imagine how loud the atak is in person. I’m hoping my s type will settle down after a couple thousand miles, as other posters have said. The cruising in-cabin speeds are also much louder than sound clips but you can still have a conversation. If the sound doesn’t mellow out, I’m seriously considering buying the resonator that borla offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
To me if your current exhaust on hand is doing for you, then I say stick with that. As you e said anything louder you really don’t want and doing an Atak you’ll regret lol. Secondly I would wait on the lift since you’re sticking with stick tires. Find exactly the look that you want including the lift and then purchase as you can. I personally would hold off on the sounds ( CAI) and put that money towards tires and lift.
My current exhaust setup is working out for me, correct. But I would like something a tad bit louder then what I have. Plus the opportunity I have will not cost me any money. I think you are correct the ATAK will probably be too loud for what I want and I would regret it. I wish I could have LOUD when I want and MODERATE when I want. The best of both worlds. I agree I think I'd rather put the money towards lift/tires over the CAI. But that Vararam sure looks nice, but $600-800CDN by the time it gets to me sounds too much.

The S-Type and ATAK (front what I hear) are both very loud. I was surprised by the S-Type when I first started my truck after install, and that was after months of reading how loud it was and reading the same reactions from people. Having said that, I love the tone. I ended up putting the resonator on and it's perfect for me now. Sure it's loud, but it's not a loud exhaust that sounds like crap, it's the best sounding exhaust for this truck and I've heard quite a few around here.
I think I will go with the S-TYPE and if it's too loud then I can always get the optional resonator from Borla down the road. Can you still hear the radio or phone call inside the cab? Can you talk to passengers front and back seats easily?

Based on your wants/needs I would probably choose the Touring or S type. The ATAK will be too loud for your situation and you’ll likely regret it and that’s coming from someone who owns one and loves it.
Yes I think the touring might be not loud enough, maybe comparable to the B2 Fabrications kit. I think I will go with the S-Type, like I said above the ATAK sounds nice (minus the popping sounds) as I heard it in person on a friends truck months ago. I just wouldn't want it that loud all the time, and well there is no way to pick and choose when you want it loud or not lol...

Does anyone have a comparison from the B2 Fabrications kit (with resonators) compared to the Borla S-Type (without the Borla resonator up front)? How do they compare as far as outside noise and inside the cab noise? A lot louder, a tiny bit louder or the same?

Reaction score
It doesn’t sound like the atak is what you want if you come home at 1am or leave at 3am. I just got my s-type installed today and it is much louder than what I heard in sound clips so I can’t imagine how loud the atak is in person. I’m hoping my s type will settle down after a couple thousand miles, as other posters have said. The cruising in-cabin speeds are also much louder than sound clips but you can still have a conversation. If the sound doesn’t mellow out, I’m seriously considering buying the resonator that borla offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I think I might go the same route. I think I will go with the S-Type and if it is too loud I will get the Borla resonator to calm it down. I am not against having a louder exhaust, as like I said my last truck was a lift 2007 Ram 2500 Cummins with dual 8" stacks. I just want to be able to have a conversation in the truck without yelling, or have a cell phone conversation without the person not knowing what I am saying. I know I have the acoustic sound windows that bring cab noise down a bunch, not sure if all models have this feature or not. But I know it helps keep my cab quiet.

Worst case, I hang onto all my B2 stuff (muffler, tips and resonator deletes) until I know for sure the S-Type is what I want to stick with. If not, then I can remove the Borla and put my B2 stuff back on. But before I do that, I would try the resonator from Borla.

All I can do is try it and see.

100% there are times I like the quiet stock sound on longer drives. But the stock sound doesn't put a smile on my face like the Magnaflow does. And the bigger smile I am sure the Borla will give me.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I think I might go the same route. I think I will go with the S-Type and if it is too loud I will get the Borla resonator to calm it down. I am not against having a louder exhaust, as like I said my last truck was a lift 2007 Ram 2500 Cummins with dual 8" stacks. I just want to be able to have a conversation in the truck without yelling, or have a cell phone conversation without the person not knowing what I am saying. I know I have the acoustic sound windows that bring cab noise down a bunch, not sure if all models have this feature or not. But I know it helps keep my cab quiet.

Worst case, I hang onto all my B2 stuff (muffler, tips and resonator deletes) until I know for sure the S-Type is what I want to stick with. If not, then I can remove the Borla and put my B2 stuff back on. But before I do that, I would try the resonator from Borla.

All I can do is try it and see.

100% there are times I like the quiet stock sound on longer drives. But the stock sound doesn't put a smile on my face like the Magnaflow does. And the bigger smile I am sure the Borla will give me.
Looking forward to your review!

popcenator

Reaction score
My current exhaust setup is working out for me, correct. But I would like something a tad bit louder then what I have. Plus the opportunity I have will not cost me any money. I think you are correct the ATAK will probably be too loud for what I want and I would regret it. I wish I could have LOUD when I want and MODERATE when I want. The best of both worlds. I agree I think I'd rather put the money towards lift/tires over the CAI. But that Vararam sure looks nice, but $600-800CDN by the time it gets to me sounds too much.

I think I will go with the S-TYPE and if it's too loud then I can always get the optional resonator from Borla down the road. Can you still hear the radio or phone call inside the cab? Can you talk to passengers front and back seats easily?

Yes I think the touring might be not loud enough, maybe comparable to the B2 Fabrications kit. I think I will go with the S-Type, like I said above the ATAK sounds nice (minus the popping sounds) as I heard it in person on a friends truck months ago. I just wouldn't want it that loud all the time, and well there is no way to pick and choose when you want it loud or not lol...

Does anyone have a comparison from the B2 Fabrications kit (with resonators) compared to the Borla S-Type (without the Borla resonator up front)? How do they compare as far as outside noise and inside the cab noise? A lot louder, a tiny bit louder or the same?
Yes you can. It's a very Jekyll and Hyde system. Acceleration was pretty loud, but when you got to cruising you almost couldn't even hear it. The only reasons I put the resonator on were the cold starts are very loud and I wanted to respect my neighbors as all have small children (as do I), and my system had some drone during acceleration. Not a ton, but enough, when combined with the other reason, to warrant the resonator.

ClayFire2

Reaction score
I will keep you in mind, but not sure what the shipping would be. I want to try to sell this as an all in one package, and will probably try local selling first as I know there are a bunch of 5th generation trucks running around my area. I think as a package dealer it will be appealing to people.
Totally understand! I have the b2 straight pipe from them already. I looked for the tips but they are unavailable. I appreciate though and good luck!

Reaction score
Does anyone have any comparisons with the Borla S-Type and the B2 Fabrications Magnaflow Muffler?

I am going with the S-Type either way if this opportunity comes to light.

WR986

Reaction score
I am also looking at the B2 for mine. Does it drone? With my tires not a big deal but curious

Also LOVE that color lol

Attachments

• Truck.jpg
    Truck.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 39
Reaction score
I am also looking at the B2 for mine. Does it drone? With my tires not a big deal but curious

Also LOVE that color lol

I don't see too many of our Pearl Blue bothers/sisters in my area, so I am glad I don't have a "dime a dozen" colour (color for you Americans)

Beautiful truck you got there... I am having my rims powder coating black in the next few weeks... I was debating on adding blue to my rims but not sure. I like your setup. I was debating on a 6" lift, but I think I am going to end up with the 2" Mopar or 4" BDS. Just came out of a 2007 Ram 2500 Cummins with 9" of lift, don't need another high monster lol...

As for the B2 Magnaflow, I don't find there is any drone at all. The only time I really had any drone was when I was pulling my Dad's boat for him (roughly 3000-3300lbs total) and it was mostly when climbing some hills or passing on the highway. Other then that I think it's fine. I can hardly hear the exhaust inside of the truck while cruising on the highway (100-120km/hr) unless I stomp on it and open it up. Cold start it's pretty loud, actually sounds louder then it was when I first put it on. Idle you can hear it, but it's not annoyingly loud (read my first paragraph, I had a 2007 Ram 2500 Cummins lol plus with the added twin 8" stacks in the bed) so I know what annoyingly loud is lol.

The B2 system no longer uses Magnaflow for the mufflers, he is using his own muffler now which is supposed to be the same quaility as the Magaflow so I can't speak for the sound of the new muffler he uses. He is a great guy to deal with.

I just want a little extra rumble which is why I am going to end up with the S-Type exhaust, I had an insurance job done on my truck (rear ended back in December) and my exhaust system that got hit back then was never fixed correctly (the shop tried to add extension pieces of pipe and heated/bent pipes at the Y but it was not to my satisfaction) so I talked to my insurance company and they have no problem with replacing my exhaust with the S-Type (they need to replace my full exhaust system anyhow, so I figured why not try for the Borla instead of getting a factory exhaust and then having to reinstall my B2). Just waiting on final approvals from the adjuster and I soon shall have the Borla system.

Reaction score
Well I got the news I was waiting for..

The insurance is approving the Borla Exhaust, they just need to price out the factory exhaust to see how much of the Borla exhaust they are paying and if I have to pay any and then we order. The adjuster thinks The factory exhaust will be way more then the Borla anyhow. Which from the pricing I got on the factory system from flange/muffler all the way back including the black chrome tips its $2900cad!!!!

So I have asked if I can also order the Borla resonator as well if the price is below what the stock system is appraised at. He said that will not be a problem. I even asked for it not to be installed so I can do it at a later time and he has no problem with me ordering it and taking it without being installed.. So this is amazing news.

I figured, if the insurance is going to pay for the resonator (and besides they are saving money going Borla and not stock anyhow probably) that I should just get it while I can. If I decide it’s too loud I will put the resonator on... If I am ok with the noise level then I’ll turn around and sell the reasontor to someone. More money towards my lift kit I want.

WR986

Reaction score
I don't see too many of our Pearl Blue bothers/sisters in my area, so I am glad I don't have a "dime a dozen" colour (color for you Americans)

Beautiful truck you got there... I am having my rims powder coating black in the next few weeks... I was debating on adding blue to my rims but not sure. I like your setup. I was debating on a 6" lift, but I think I am going to end up with the 2" Mopar or 4" BDS. Just came out of a 2007 Ram 2500 Cummins with 9" of lift, don't need another high monster lol...

As for the B2 Magnaflow, I don't find there is any drone at all. The only time I really had any drone was when I was pulling my Dad's boat for him (roughly 3000-3300lbs total) and it was mostly when climbing some hills or passing on the highway. Other then that I think it's fine. I can hardly hear the exhaust inside of the truck while cruising on the highway (100-120km/hr) unless I stomp on it and open it up. Cold start it's pretty loud, actually sounds louder then it was when I first put it on. Idle you can hear it, but it's not annoyingly loud (read my first paragraph, I had a 2007 Ram 2500 Cummins lol plus with the added twin 8" stacks in the bed) so I know what annoyingly loud is lol.

The B2 system no longer uses Magnaflow for the mufflers, he is using his own muffler now which is supposed to be the same quaility as the Magaflow so I can't speak for the sound of the new muffler he uses. He is a great guy to deal with.

I just want a little extra rumble which is why I am going to end up with the S-Type exhaust, I had an insurance job done on my truck (rear ended back in December) and my exhaust system that got hit back then was never fixed correctly (the shop tried to add extension pieces of pipe and heated/bent pipes at the Y but it was not to my satisfaction) so I talked to my insurance company and they have no problem with replacing my exhaust with the S-Type (they need to replace my full exhaust system anyhow, so I figured why not try for the Borla instead of getting a factory exhaust and then having to reinstall my B2). Just waiting on final approvals from the adjuster and I soon shall have the Borla system.

Good to hear. I want to sound more like a truck so sounds like B2 will be the choice.
If you haven't been told there is a problem with the speedo after you change tire sizes.
Cant fix it at the dealer like older models. My dealer bought me a programmer from Rough Country. Not only fixes the speedo, but tells the electronic ride control about the bigger tires and adjusts the shift points in the trans. Rides, Shifts and handles better than ever now. So something to consider but I really recommend it.

Reaction score
Good to hear. I want to sound more like a truck so sounds like B2 will be the choice.
If you haven't been told there is a problem with the speedo after you change tire sizes.
Cant fix it at the dealer like older models. My dealer bought me a programmer from Rough Country. Not only fixes the speedo, but tells the electronic ride control about the bigger tires and adjusts the shift points in the trans. Rides, Shifts and handles better than ever now. So something to consider but I really recommend it.

I've read some conflicting post on the topic of tire sizes. I've read some people say up to 35" and the truck will adjust for the tire difference (overall 2.9" larger diameter stock to aftermarkets). Then I've read others that indicate what you just spoke about, getting a programmer.

Prior to the programmer, did you have shifting point issues or anything else like that? Or just that the speedo was off by a few miles/km per hour?

Where there issues with the electronic stability control? (I assume this is what you meant by electronic ride control and not the air ride system)

Thanks for the heads up tho.

Users who are viewing this thread