5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions on drive thru car washes

cw_mi

Reaction score
So i bought my truck at the worst possible time in Michigan. Salt spray, snow, ice...etc. It's killing me to see this truck getting dirty. I really can't hand wash it due the temps and i'm afraid to use the brush at the quarter car wash, so i end up just hosing it down. It's tough getting it clean that way. Just a little hesitant on a drive thru.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KRField

Reaction score
Got to a boat store, bass pro, or cabelas and get starbrite salt off. Then go to Lowe’s or tractor supply and get a pump sprayer. Add 2-4oz of salt off and the rest water. Apply solution to the truck and let it dwell for a few minutes (don’t let it dry, if it starts to just reapply the solution) then pressure rinse off. It will dissolve and neutralize the salt on the truck and be safe to pressure wash off. Then run truck through a TOUCHLESS wash or do a rinseless/waterless wash at home. The spinning brushes in a drive through will mar the crap out of the paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cw_mi

Reaction score
Got to a boat store, bass pro, or cabelas and get starbrite salt off. Then go to Lowe’s or tractor supply and get a pump sprayer. Add 2-4oz of salt off and the rest water. Apply solution to the truck and let it dwell for a few minutes (don’t let it dry, if it starts to just reapply the solution) then pressure rinse off. It will dissolve and neutralize the salt on the truck and be safe to pressure wash off. Then run truck through a TOUCHLESS wash or do a rinseless/waterless wash at home. The spinning brushes in a drive through will mar the crap out of the paint.

The salt off isn't harsh on the paint ? That sounds like a great idea, spray it down and just go thru the quarter car wash

Rich

Reaction score
I agree. I use the TOUCHLESS car washes in the winter. They don't clean well and leave a residue and I don't towel if off after as I don't want scratches on my black paint, but it does keep the heavy crud off the truck.

It's hard here in NH also, with all the salt and corrosive roadway 'pretreatment' that they put on the road. Try to wash your truck when it's 21F outside! You should see the icicles hanging from the touchless car wash! The truck comes out coated in ice, but a lot cleaner. LOL

I do it again when it warms to 32F or warmer.

KRField

Reaction score
The salt off isn't harsh on the paint ? That sounds like a great idea, spray it down and just go thru the quarter car wash

Wont harm paint, it can be used on bare aluminum. It has PTEF (similar to Dupont’s trade mark stuff) in it as well, so will add a little protection as well. Nothing like a true wax or sealant, similar to a spray retailer. It’s also great for undercarriage cleaning.

Rich

Reaction score
Wont harm paint, it can be used on bare aluminum. It has PTEF (similar to Dupont’s trade mark stuff) in it as well, so will add a little protection as well. Nothing like a true wax or sealant, similar to a spray retailer. It’s also great for undercarriage cleaning.

Or get the salt-off, put it in a pump sprayer and spray it on before you drive into the touchless car wash! Then your driveway isn't covered in ICE when below freezing weather. ;)

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All great advice. Always use touch less and be aware of ever using the foam brush at a car wash in the self wash bays. Will scratch the heck out of paint. People use these on their old beaters and scrub mud and sand off their vehicles and leave them very abrasive for the next person.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You just need to find a reputable car wash. Car washes are mandatory IMO in the winter so that the undercarriage gets washed thoroughly. I am particular about my truck when it’s nice out and I want it spotless but I can’t ignore it in the winter and the benefits of getting salt off underneath.

frankismint

Reaction score
Depends on the color. My last 2 trucks were silver and grey. Any handwash was fine. My new truck is black. There isn’t a car wash in existence that won’t put swirls in the paint. Trick is to use a bunch of microfiber mitts and never re dip them in the bucket. Even a 2 bucket method isn’t good enough IMO.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
I have factory stock 2020 Longhorn EcoDiesel WITHOUT air-suspension (I didnt want to deal with that headache, so ordered mine specifically without it) - Most car washes are 7 feet in my area for height clearance.

Would that clear my truck ? I tried in one car wash, but it seemed too close to the Height Clearance pole and didnt want to block the automatic carwash line, so I just left.

I would go back with a buddy/spotter and try. I think the truck height is less than 84" for sure but its scary to try without anyone from outside spotting. For just me as driver, going in the truck driving up slowly, coming out - checking clearance, then advancing further etc seems too much.

Thoughts or suggestions ?

Thanks

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have factory stock 2020 Longhorn EcoDiesel WITHOUT air-suspension (I didnt want to deal with that headache, so ordered mine specifically without it) - Most car washes are 7 feet in my area for height clearance.

Would that clear my truck ? I tried in one car wash, but it seemed too close to the Height Clearance pole and didnt want to block the automatic carwash line, so I just left.

I would go back with a buddy/spotter and try. I think the truck height is less than 84" for sure but its scary to try without anyone from outside spotting. For just me as driver, going in the truck driving up slowly, coming out - checking clearance, then advancing further etc seems too much.

Thoughts or suggestions ?

Thanks
If your truck is at stock height, with stock size tires, it'll fit under the 7 foot clearance easily. If you've added a lift or bigger tires, all bets are off. My Laramie has the ORG, which supposedly raises the truck 1 inch. I use local touchless car washes with 7 foot clearance with no issues.

I kind of miss the radio antenna I had on my 4th gen trucks. If the antenna cleared, the cab would clear. With 5th gens it's tougher to know for sure from inside the cab.

Nomad

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Limited Eco with air suspension and at normal height setting, I take mine through the touch less wash all the time. Never had any issues, also used to take my 2014 Big Horn Eco through with no issues. Nice not having to get out for the mirrors now that I can do it from inside the truck.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just bought a new 2014 ram sport and was wondering if anyone had any experience when washing.. is it better to wash it yourself or does the drive-thru self-clean work great? any input would be appreciated!
Not sure how you are defining "better". But no machine wash does as thorough of a job as you can do if you wash by hand.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ram is a Huckleberry. Truck-inAutomaticCarWash.jpg

I can see all the worried Daisy trucks out there with the scene below, "OH, oh , no please, my clear coat might get micro scratches from your bossom!"
8a05f22aa9299f1622378af5b3ff1161.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread