5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions on 18" vs 20" on a 6" lift

suli

Reaction score
Well, getting to the point I'm going to need a new set of tires, so of course looking to ask Santa for a lift and new wheel/tires. 😅

Now for the tougher part: 18" vs 20" rims.
As I laid out below, and since I'm not super crawling with my jeep buddies on their trails, I think the 20s may be better since I do still tow/haul quite a bit and should have enough side wall for the little bit of off-road/air-downs I actually do. I think the 18's with the larger sidewall with 35's may tend to wallow a bit under towing/hauling load. However, the 18 tires are usually lighter than the 20 tires as well, but not sure how much pain the heavier un-sprung weight would really matter.

How do I use my truck?
- Towing small trailers & car trailer
- Hauling 1ton loads of wood pellets
- Commuting to work
- Road trips (~4hr)
- Off-road adventures (not just gravel driveways, occasional jeep trails)

Truck setup?
- 2019 NBS, Laramie
- 6" lift (probably going to go BDS)
- 35" tires (not going 37's, and yes I have 3.92 factory gearing)
-- Prob looking for another set of Wrangler Duratracs, they were amazing on my last truck and loved those tires
-- Also considering the General Grabbers as well

Thoughts from the Ram crew?
Haha, I feel like this could turn into a Thanksgiving Diner Table politics blow-up debate!

Last edited:

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you don't offroad much(I assume you don't with a 6 inch lift) you will be good with 20's which are better for towing.

Cygnus A

Reaction score
I think 20s are better for on road. That is what I am going with.

mrclortho

Reaction score
Being a bit of an old school wheeler, and a Jeeper, the mantra is smaller wheels. More sidewall rides better to an extent. Unfortunately, 18s are the smallest diameter wheel we can run on the newer Ram but work pretty well with 35's.

I haul a 7,500# trailer and use the truck for truck stuff.

ram31.jpg

ride6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread