5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions New or Used with current enviroment

tdog65

Reaction score
I've been lurking and watching the "Price off MSRP" thread especially. I don't really need a new truck current Ford has been great ride but have wanted one of the new Rams since they came out in 19. I almost never buy new as usually you can if you look enough find a year old used truck for quite a bit off. I'm looking at Limiteds' maybe longhorn used with avg miles 15k-25k loaded for 44-46k. The used market doesn't seem to have dropped in pricing yet as much as I thought they would. These are the prices I've been seeing before the pandemic. I found a fantastic loaded 19 white limited with only 5k miles on and its had some aftermarket done on it (lift, tires and wheels bed covers, ram step , window tint) for 49k at a dealer but gun-shy on why it would have been traded back in with only 5k miles. It's pretty much set up the way I would like it. I know the discussions of the pricing on the new ones dropping, wouldn't you think the used market would drop as well?

How many of you add the extra warranty when you buy used or new. Pretty sure I would on this truck which adds 2k to bottom line on average thru Ziegler.

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
I've been lurking and watching the "Price off MSRP" thread especially. I don't really need a new truck current Ford has been great ride but have wanted one of the new Rams since they came out in 19. I almost never buy new as usually you can if you look enough find a year old used truck for quite a bit off. I'm looking at Limiteds' maybe longhorn used with avg miles 15k-25k loaded for 44-46k. The used market doesn't seem to have dropped in pricing yet as much as I thought they would. These are the prices I've been seeing before the pandemic. I found a fantastic loaded 19 white limited with only 5k miles on and its had some aftermarket done on it (lift, tires and wheels bed covers, ram step , window tint) for 49k at a dealer but gun-shy on why it would have been traded back in with only 5k miles. It's pretty much set up the way I would like it. I know the discussions of the pricing on the new ones dropping, wouldn't you think the used market would drop as well?

How many of you add the extra warranty when you buy used or new. Pretty sure I would on this truck which adds 2k to bottom line on average thru Ziegler.
I'm thinking you would be able to get into a new limited around the same price of the vehicles you're discussing.

Laramie longhorn. https://www.lauracdjr.com/new/Ram/2019-Ram-1500-22e497d20a0e0ae97bdec0501f8c2075.htm

I know dealers have larger profit margins on their used vehicles vice new. The last time my wife and I went to test drive a used durango in 2013, we ended up ordering a brand new 2014 as the prices were about the same and for the sole peace of mind we would know the maintenance history of our car. As you alluded to, why would someone trade in their modified ram with only 5k miles? Makes one think there might have been something wrong with it.

I can't answer your warranty question, but we did buy am extended warranty on out durango and plan on getting one for my ram if/when we pull the trigger, and it would be from Ziegler (thanks to those who posted that information on these boards).

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As you alluded to, why would someone trade in their modified ram with only 5k miles? Makes one think there might have been something wrong with it.

I've always wondered about that too. Sometimes you can get lucky though, maybe it's just buyers remorse after dealing with just a few months of payments, or maybe they think the truck has something wrong with it that's a deal breaker for them but not for you (like say missing a sunroof or ram boxes or payload is too small, or feeding the thirsty hemi scares them to death etc etc).

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Really depends on what deals you can find. When I was looking around it seemed that dealers were not willing to sell for what the truck was really worth new or bought the truck at the wrong price.

New trucks were only around 3-5K more than used trucks that had 5-15K miles on them already.

tdog65

Reaction score
I'm thinking you would be able to get into a new limited around the same price of the vehicles you're discussing.

Laramie longhorn. https://www.lauracdjr.com/new/Ram/2019-Ram-1500-22e497d20a0e0ae97bdec0501f8c2075.htm

I know dealers have larger profit margins on their used vehicles vice new. The last time my wife and I went to test drive a used durango in 2013, we ended up ordering a brand new 2014 as the prices were about the same and for the sole peace of mind we would know the maintenance history of our car. As you alluded to, why would someone trade in their modified ram with only 5k miles? Makes one think there might have been something wrong with it.

I can't answer your warranty question, but we did buy am extended warranty on out durango and plan on getting one for my ram if/when we pull the trigger, and it would be from Ziegler (thanks to those who posted that information on these boards).

Thanks for the links, I've actually seen those in my browsing thru used. Since this is just a want and not a need vehicle trying to be picky and not settle. I love black trucks but hate taking care of them but seems like the black ones have the best deals. I have a cabin with 1/2 mile gravel road so trying to stick to white, silver although I've found a very sharp Gray limited with 21k miles for $45500 thats tempting me. I really thought I would be able to get something for around 42 the way I want and have found some deals but would be willing to have to give up interior color or wheel choice. Lots of time to browse the internet but not very good if you do find something that you would have to travel to get or even test drive.

tdog65

Reaction score
Here is the 19 I keep looking at that I really like although its almost too much if thats possible. One of things I like about the Ram limiteds is that they are great looking without doing a bunch of mods too.
The one attached they quoted me 49 before the craziness kicked in.

tdog65

Reaction score
I don’t know if you’ve thought about this or not but you could look at a really nice Laramie brand new for less than a used Limited .

I had a 16 Laramie and it was very nice. Yes kind of kicking it round on Laramie Sport. Actually seen them new decent priced.

RainDesert

Reaction score
Here is the 19 I keep looking at that I really like although its almost too much if thats possible. One of things I like about the Ram limiteds is that they are great looking without doing a bunch of mods too.
The one attached they quoted me 49 before the craziness kicked in.

I would talk to the dealer about the truck, just get the full details about it. The carfax shows that dealer did all the service on it, and looks like it has a new motor.

Last edited:

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
holy cow..I would jump on that White Limited in a heartbeat..super loaded, nice wheels & tires already..5K miles means lots of factory warranty left..and nice price imo...that's a high 60's msrp truck, then the wheels & tires add another 1500 anyway..I don't see much risk.

tdog65

Reaction score
I would talk to the dealer about the truck, just get the full details about it. The carfax shows that dealer did all the service on it, and looks like it has a new motor.

The salesmen did say they had to replace the block. Didn't know any other details on it. The lift was done thru a installer that does all of them for the dealer. It would be covered under warranty. Does have me little worried if they replaced the block what other issues the truck would be having. Was only owned for about 4 months and guessing it spent most of that time at the shop. I was on way to look at the truck when the virus thing took over as I would definitely want to drive it first to see how it rides and handles.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I will say that I saw used truck values increase over the last 6moths of last year. In June my 2017 Rebel was valued at $32.5k, and in October the same truck, with 3k more miles on it, was valued at $36.5k from the same dealership. I had read that was happening because there was a higher demand for used trucks at the time. Not sure if that has anything to do with what you're seeing now or not, but I benefited from it last year. Made the difference in me buying a new 2020.

KarsonR

Reaction score
3 weeks ago I got a 2019 limited fully loaded with 19k miles on it for $39,500 I did some hard negotiations, but in the end I got a great deal. You have to be patient and the right deal will come along. Don't just jump on the first thing out there, and shop with your head. But what you can afford. I really wanted a limited, and used was the best way. And get one that's certified pre-owned.

tdog65

Reaction score
3 weeks ago I got a 2019 limited fully loaded with 19k miles on it for $39,500 I did some hard negotiations, but in the end I got a great deal. You have to be patient and the right deal will come along. Don't just jump on the first thing out there, and shop with your head. But what you can afford. I really wanted a limited, and used was the best way. And get one that's certified pre-owned.
Thanks and wow thats a deal for sure. I've seem some that low but they usually have 50k miles on them. I'm in no hurry and will do just what you suggested be patient. Thanks

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is no industry wide standard for "certified pre-owned". So the definition of that varies from dealership to dealership. It normally includes some sort of extra inspection process (beyond the normal safety inspection that used vehicles get), and can also include a limited warranty. It's usually better if you can get one that's CPO, but make sure you know exactly what you're paying extra for. Another case of buyer beware.

Last edited:

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is no industry wide standard for "certified pre-owned". So the definition of that varies from dealership to dealership. It normally includes some sort of extra inspection process (beyond the normal safety inspection that used vehicles get), and can also include a limited warranty. It's usually better if you can get one that's CPE, but make sure you know exactly what you're paying extra for. Another case of buyer beware.

It costs dealerships $800 to get a used Ram CPO. It extends the bumper to bumper and power train warranties and possibly more that I forgot.

JasonNY

Reaction score
Also keep in mind that while used car prices are dropping, the trucks sitting on dealers lots still have $x in them. I will expand. A dealer pays $46000 for the truck. Just because values dropped, it doesn't change what they have in the truck. Now as a dealer you roll the dice. Do you need the cash now and take a $4k hit? Or can you wait 2-3 months when values come back to where they were. I'd jump on a new or leftover opportunity right now. Should come out further ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread