5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Open tailgate dead battery?

JamMastaJ

Reaction score
Went on a road trip out of town over the weekend. On the way back home stopped in a small town to get gas. The family all got out to use the restroom and grab snacks. I hit the door lock function on my key fob. The horn sounded weird but I didn’t think anything of it. Once we were done we head back to the truck. I press the remote start and it doesn’t work. I start cursing in my mind about the next issue that will need to be addressed out of warranty. I go to unlock the door and nothing. I pull out the key in the fob to get into the cab and no lights on the dash. I start freaking out. Someone sees me panicking and assures me it’s just a dead battery. We tried multiple times with multiple vehicles to get the truck started but couldn’t. Being this is my fist push start vehicle I didn’t realize you get no warning before your battery dies. Previously your car would be hard to start giving you an idea replacement was imminent. This happened on a Sunday in a small town luckily there was one part store with one battery that I needed that cost over $250. Once I got back to my truck with the new battery I realized my tools were locked up in my bed under my tonneau cover. Is there a way to open your tailgate when your battery is dead?

Last edited:

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If bed access is important when battery is dead, you should consider a tonneau cover with an external lock
I don’t think there’s another option if the cover is locked/secured and preventing access.

Pertzbro

Reaction score
how did you battery die?! I'm 6 1/2 years in and it still has good numbers when checked.

Users who are viewing this thread