5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Only apprehension about buying a 2021 today is Uconnect 5 in September

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m ready to order a truck that would come in late-July. I have no issues with the Uconnect today but that’s 10 minutes of me playing around with it at a dealership. It’s fast enough, functional enough, etc (this would be a 12” screen).

I Did watch a few Uconnect 5 Pacifica videos and it looks like an improvement.

The question for 2019-2021 owners, if you didn’t have your Truck today and were in an old beater and could buy a truck today or wait until September-December to get a Uconnect 5 as the only change to the 2022 model year, would you wait?

doolin64

Reaction score
I like the latest and greatest and most likely Il would hold off, if it wasn't an imminent need for a new vehicle. Drove me crazy with my 2015 f150 when they released Android auto and Apple Carplay in 2016.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All depends on how badly you need a new truck. Waiting until September then probably having to order your waiting until November-December for the vehicle. Is U5 really worth the wait? If you can wait until Sept then might wait until December when Employee Pricing is going on again and get the best deals on the trucks. It's always a waiting game for the latest and greatest. For me to wait there would have to be something more that just that to tickle my fancy.

TravisJ

Reaction score
No, I wouldn’t wait. Because last I checked they haven’t even confirmed it to be on the 2022. A lot of rumors that it may be pushed off another year. I also don’t find it to be that special. Improvement? Sure, but a lot of the new features are pointless to me. I don’t need 5 user profiles or two devices on Bluetooth. The current 12 inch is fast and responsive to me...I don’t need a better processor or better graphics. Wireless CarPlay would be nice, but I don’t mind my phone plugged in.

I would rather have something that has been around awhile...not something that will be buggy and need constant updates to fix bugs etc.

End of the day not a single new feature is something I would have to have. When I started truck shopping I simply needed a 2019+ whether new or used. Why? Because CarPlay was a must...U5, not so much. Cars are updated and improved constantly. If you wait for the newest feature another one will be right around the corner you missed out on. So much missed enjoyment.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There was a mention recently that a 1500 refresh isn’t coming until 2023. I would expect Ram to save UConnect 5 for the refresh and carry on with U4 for 2022

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I would definitely wait if you don’t need a new truck right away. You’ll own it for a few years. Might as well get what you want or you‘ll be regretting it once they come out.

Cheers,

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you're good either way.
The current uconnect is plenty good, next gen should be good too.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
There was a mention recently that a 1500 refresh isn’t coming until 2023. I would expect Ram to save UConnect 5 for the refresh and carry on with U4 for 2022
I hope you’re wrong. F150s have Sync4 with all the bells and whistles like OTA map updates, free remote app for life, hi-res screen and wireless CarPlay. It def beats Uconnect4 by a long shot. Can’t imagine RAM would stick with it for another year.

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
Buy the truck you want now with all the features you want. If and when uconnect5 comes out it is that necessary then simply upgrade the radio I’m sure infotainment.com will release a package once it does.

What happened to the good old days when people simply bought a new radio to have the lates and greatest

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hope you’re wrong. F150s have Sync4 with all the bells and whistles like OTA map updates, free remote app for life, hi-res screen and wireless CarPlay. It def beats Uconnect4 by a long shot. Can’t imagine RAM would stick with it for another year.

Not sure which Sync was in my '13 F150, but it was garbage. The GPS never showed me accurately on the map rendering the turn by turn useless. There were other issues and quirks, but the Nav was the biggest disappointment.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Buy the truck you want now with all the features you want. If and when uconnect5 comes out it is that necessary then simply upgrade the radio I’m sure infotainment.com will release a package once it does.

What happened to the good old days when people simply bought a new radio to have the lates and greatest
Only difference is that OEM radios cost 4 grand, not 400 bucks like they used to...

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. A few of you made a really good point about buying the first generation of the new thing. Sure, we have software updates now over the air but do I really want to spend a year or two waiting for UConnect5 bugs being fixed? Probably not. If the current version with the latest update is improved and I don't want Wireless CarPlay or multi-user or multi-bluetooth, then there's nothing wrong with today's system. In fact, it's better than most other things out there. Sure, Mercedes' fancy huge S-class touch screen looks cool but that's a $120K car that can't tow anything.

I appreciate the feedback. Sounds like there aren't any UConnect4 Deal Breakers that I hadn't already seen.

Spe1996

Reaction score
There were many mentions about it U5 being new. By the time the 2022 comes out this fall not only will it be in the Pacifica but also the Grand Cherokee L and the Grand Wagoneer/Wagoner.

Runagun

Reaction score
As a owner of both '21 pacifica and '21 ram. I wouldn't let lack of uconnect 5 be a stopping point in buying a '21 Ram. While uconnect 5 is a neat system. The biggest advantage is wireless android/carplay. Which has it pros and cons too. I don't always want to link my phone to the car. But with Uconnect5 it automatically does. The worst part is when making a call. I can't go to my phone and hang up the call. Or if I have to punch in numbers I need to use the screen, Which sucks. Great part is waze always opens up. From the ram. While the 12inch screen is big. It's very narrow for waze or Google maps. I'd love for them to come out with 2 10inch screens. Make that center screen wider. If they come out with that. I'll be trading in snow white.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless you want the latest and greatest i would go ahead and order what you want. Almost a guarantee that’s the new Uconnect will be buggy let the kinks work themselves out and there’s no telling if they will go ahead and keep the old Uconnect 4 and just wait on a refresh to give unconnect 5. I would also factor in what type of deal you can getting buying a 21 versus negotiating on a 22 when the time comes is the savings worth it. Only you can decide that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread