5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Only 6.5 mpg towing enclosed trailer!

Mike 67

Reaction score
I knew my '19 Ram with the 5.7 (non etorque) and 3.21 gears would deliver worse mpg compared to my old 07 GMC Duramax. But holy cow, I just got 6.5 mpg pulling my enclosed v nose trailer! The trailer with snowmobiles only weigh about 3,700 lbs. I would normally get 11-12ish mpg with my Duramax. On the freeway I set the cruise at 75 (just like I would with my Duramax).
The truck only has about 5K miles on her now. Hope it loosens up and the mpg improves.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That seems low - but there's lots of variables:
- Diesel v Gas (turbo?)
- gearing ratio
- terrain?
- eTorque does nothing / not much when moving

tobyw

Reaction score
Speed is your enemy when towing... The single best way to improve economy while towing is to slow down, period. No amount of gearing, cold air intake, exhaust system, computer flashing, or what have you is going to take the place of patience. Make the same run at 60-63mph and you'll be much happier with the fuel economy. Still may not get you back to where you were with the Duramax at higher speeds, but I'd wager you'll see a marked improvement over your current 6.5mpg benchmark (y)

Konrad

Reaction score
No, it won't loosen up. What exactly do you expect towing at 75 mph?

It's not even about the weight. V-nose or not, you're dragging a big box through the air. Aerodynamic drag increases almost exponentially with speed (2x the speed, 4x the drag). Your gas 1500 is not exactly a Diesel beast that's able to power through it with ease.

Slow down to 65 and you'll see 11-13. That's what I'm getting when towing our 4500# 25ft TT. Only a bit over 70 and it drops to 8-9 mpg

IMHO 75mph is just too fast for towing anyway. Most trailer tires aren't even rated for such speed (usually 65mph).

R

Rob5589

75 mph

My guess is your old Duramax would have done better than 11-12 towing slower.

My old 03 Silverado loaded with 800+ lbs in the bed, flat towing a 3500 lb Jeep, would get 12. At 65 mph....

Speed is your enemy, while towing...

Mike 67

Reaction score
Yep, I know lowering the speed would help. Just didn't want to hold up the rest of the guys caravanning in our group.
The tires I'm running are large tires and have a speed rating of 81mph. Not worried about a blow out. Never had one in the 10+ years owning this trailer.
The trip home (without trailer) I ran the same 75mph and got just under 18mpg. I just expected/hoped for better mpg than I'm getting.

raven_DT

Reaction score
@ 75mpg 6.5mpg sounds reasonable. Your comparing apples to oranges (Hemi vs. Duramax) mpg wise. Think of the money saved over the initial cost of a diesel...a lot of gas to buy for that. 75mph seems pretty high towing, especially for a 1/2 ton...be safe.

raven_DT

Reaction score
No, it won't loosen up. What exactly do you expect towing at 75 mph?

It's not even about the weight. V-nose or not, you're dragging a big box through the air. Aerodynamic drag increases almost exponentially with speed (2x the speed, 4x the drag). Your gas 1500 is not exactly a Diesel beast that's able to power through it with ease.

Slow down to 65 and you'll see 11-13. That's what I'm getting when towing our 4500# 25ft TT. Only a bit over 70 and it drops to 8-9 mpg

IMHO 75mph is just too fast for towing anyway. Most trailer tires aren't even rated for such speed (usually 65mph).
I'm getting 8-8.5 mpg @ 65mph towing a 26ft/5900# TT mostly interstate...

Konrad

Reaction score
I'm getting 8-8.5 mpg @ 65mph towing a 26ft/5900# TT mostly interstate...

I should have probably mentioned that my 11-13 mpg is on incredibly boring flats of the Midwest (IL, MI, WI, IA, NE) and we travel light (me + wife + 300 lbs of stuff), but these are real, calculated numbers I'm getting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NDanecker

Reaction score
I drove from PA to NJ when picking up a 7 x 14 v nose trailer (empty). I got 10's running 65 or so, and taking it easy. Stayed mostly in 7th, and I have 3.92. Gas motors suck (and I mean both gas and experience) for towing. If you tow a lot I'd stay away from anything gas. Just my opinion with my 20+ years towing trailers with various gas and diesel trucks. However, gas trucks have their place and are fun when not towing! :)

raven_DT

Reaction score
I should have probably mentioned that my 11-13 mpg is on incredibly boring flats of the Midwest (IL, MI, WI, IA, NE) and we travel light (me + wife + 300 lbs of stuff), but these are real, calculated numbers I'm getting.

We are getting ~8.3ish mpg traveling along the Appalachian mountains on I-24 and I-75 @65mph. Truck holds 65mph on the dot even going up some of the hills (White Oak Mountain/Ringgold Gap) around there. Funny thing is we get a solid 8.5mpg on the interstates but as soon as we pull onto the divided highway @65mph we usually drop to 8-8.2mpg with the truck wanting to shift from 7 to 5 constantly...

Konrad

Reaction score
We are getting ~8.3ish mpg traveling along the Appalachian mountains on I-24 and I-75 @65mph. Truck holds 65mph on the dot even going up some of the hills (White Oak Mountain/Ringgold Gap) around there. Funny thing is we get a solid 8.5mpg on the interstates but as soon as we pull onto the divided highway @65mph we usually drop to 8-8.2mpg with the truck wanting to shift from 7 to 5 constantly...

I guess I'd be fine with 8.5ish in the mountains. We'll see - we'll be heading west this spring. Are you in Tow/Haul mode all the time?

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
3.92 gears here, and I was towing the largest enclosed 6x12 Uhaul trailer filled to max, which I estimated to be around 4K in total @ 65, and was achieving 14.1mpg @ 65 MPH. I remained in the right lane and just stayed behind slow cars if I caught up to them in that lane. My Truck has 1113 mile on it, so very new.

NDanecker

Reaction score
Wow, I don't even get that in normal driving w/o a trailer :confused:
I agree. I believe that 14.1 was an instant mileage number given by the lie-o-meter. Drive for a few hundred miles to get a true average and it will be down in the 10 or less. LOL

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
I agree. I believe that 14.1 was an instant mileage number given by the lie-o-meter. Drive for a few hundred miles to get a true average and it will be down in the 10 or less. LOL
Yes, you are correct. I believe that was instant mileage for the day, maybe less.

raven_DT

Reaction score
I guess I'd be fine with 8.5ish in the mountains. We'll see - we'll be heading west this spring. Are you in Tow/Haul mode all the time?

Always in tow/haul mode, it will save your transmission. If you don't engage tow/haul it will allow the transmission to shift into 8th, then back down, then back up...needless shifting and wear on your transmission shifting in and out of OD 8th.

Usa450r

Reaction score
Just drove from SLC, UT to Phoenix, AZ. Pulled a 8.5x16 enclosed trailer with a UTV that weighs approximately 1700 lbs. The trip was mostly highway. Some travel at elevation. I stayed between 68-75 mph on the highway. Tow/Haul mode was engaged. I got around 9 mpg for the trip.

Flatop

Reaction score
I knew my '19 Ram with the 5.7 (non etorque) and 3.21 gears would deliver worse mpg compared to my old 07 GMC Duramax. But holy cow, I just got 6.5 mpg pulling my enclosed v nose trailer! The trailer with snowmobiles only weigh about 3,700 lbs. I would normally get 11-12ish mpg with my Duramax. On the freeway I set the cruise at 75 (just like I would with my Duramax).
The truck only has about 5K miles on her now. Hope it loosens up and the mpg improves.
MY Limited non E Torque Hemi with 3.21 gears towing a 27x7 in line snowmobile trailer with 3 sleds in it ( so around the same weight- 3700lb) averaged 10.8 but that's because the roads prevented 70 mph. I would usually get 9 though

Konrad

Reaction score
I still wonder why would anyone want / need to go faster than 65mph with any kind of trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread