5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One year update

2021QCBH

Reaction score
Hey dudes, just a “little” update here for those who care. A year ago last week I purchased my 2021 Bighorn QC. It’s a hemi non e torque 4x4 with 3.21s in granite crystal. It’s basically the cheapest hemi bighorn you can buy with only two options, remote start and factory floor liners. I added rear wheelhouse liners and a Curt retrofit trailer hitch (only rated to 6k lbs). Truck is rated to tow a little over 8k and has what I believe is the highest payload attainable in a bighorn 4x4 configuration.

Options I wish I had-
I was going for a deal on this truck because of the current market. I received a fair trade number and ended up getting 9200 off sticker so I settled on some things. I wish it had a center console, sliding rear window, 20s, and a limited slip but I’ve been getting by just fine with the auto 4x4 (sees service on tons of different boat ramps). I think I can live without the level one group now knowing all the issues that come along with the cracking rear windows as much as I miss that power option.

Overall experience-
The truck has been an absolute dream. At exactly the one year date it flipped 28k miles. I went by the book on break in and it seems to have worked great. Changed out the factory fill at 2500 miles and have been observing 7500 mile oil changes on pennzoil platinum since. 100% 0 oil consumption noted on those oil changes. I did do one UOA on the first 7500 mile change and still had 2.4 TBN. Wear materials were still high so I stick with 7500 until I get another UOA to decide if I’ll extend.

When I can take my highway route to work I can average 17-18 mph for the week. City only route averages between 15-16. Winter knocks it down a mpg or two. If I get a nice wind free (rare) highway trip I can average 21-24 pending where I’m headed and even windy I can still achieve somewhere in the 19 mpg range unless it’s an extreme head wind.

It tows wonderfully and frequently. Generally around 4k lbs with a loaded up bed. It handles weight in the bed unbelievably better than my coil 2010 1500. The max I’ll likely ever tow is around 6k and I haven’t needed to do that in 5-6 years. The cheap Goodyears (I generally hate Goodyears) have stayed in perfect balance and handle all conditions besides deep snow just fine. Also surprisingly, seem on pace to do at least 60k miles.

Minor gripes-
I’m extremely picky on functional things and ram did a bang up job on all the controls and interfaces (per usual). All the steering wheel functions work great and the in dash screen is extremely easy to navigate and very informative.

Where they missed the mark is somewhere to put your phone in the center flip up console. It has 2 cup holders then sort of a square space bwreeen the lid latch and cup holders. I assume this is where they want the phone to go but it falls over and is in a bad position to see it. It also gets worse when plugged in to charge. It also renders the glove box lid latch useless when it’s in there and you can only fit one phone there (I have personal and work).

The old U connect is ok and works decently other than freezing up sometimes at start up for 10-20 seconds. Figure that comes with the territory of screen life. It takes way too long to pickup Bluetooth and you have to tap the media device button twice to get it to start streaming. Siri is WAY too loud. Other vehicles I’ve had/driven let you control the Siri or nav voice volume separately vs stereo or Bluetooth voice calls.

That said, I love being able to turn on the rear camera while in motion to check trailer connection or make sure I shut the tailgate since the tailgate ajar function doesn’t work.

Problems to date-
Early on it had a squeak in the drivers seat but that’s generally healed itself. One small squeak in the LH front tweeter on certain road surfaces (will fix myself at some point). It tossed all the grease out of the RH outer CV joint due to an incorrectly clamped boot clamp. Not a huge issue at the moment but will get it in for replacement before warranty is up.

Thanks for reading, hope it just keeps doing what it’s been doing ! Cheers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread