5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One year in the seat

Nstewart18

Reaction score
Hey everyone, thought I would share some pics and impressions of the 21 Rebel I bought new just over a year ago. Just shy of 30k on the odo with plenty of terrain. Here are the problems I have encountered:
1) Front sway bar links are not built great, they shake loose when driving on rough terrain and need tightening just about every 5-7k
2) 35/12.5 fit just fine with stock suspension. I’ve been running atlas primas for nearly 10 months with just a little rubbing. A spare 35 will fit under the bed with a bit of squeeze. This model comes with a factory 2” level built into the frame, so make sure when ordering after market bumpers indicate it has a 2” front lift to avoid the bumper gap (I have the ADD stealth front bumper and a harbor freight apex 12k fits inside, but might need a touch of grinding on the fairlead mount to keep your winch line from rubbing
3) Stock suspension is listed as “Performance tuned” and comes with 5100 bilsteins with a 2.0 rear strut smoothie, will definitely need to upgrade to the 8112s as my suspension is already on its way out the door. You can see in the pics, I carry about 800 extra pounds with my bed rack, RTT and front bumper/winch set up.
4) current set up gets mpg 11 city/14 hwy, but I may improve that switching the 3.92 ratio to a 4.11 or 4.56 and movie my bed set up a touch lower
5) The stock inverter 115V will not run any compressor rated at 115V/3A or higher. Could have done the math first, but stick to the portables.

MECHANICAL ISSUES
Most recently threw a P0305 cylinder 5 misfire that is unrelated to plugs or coils (I’ll update if anyone is interested)

The electronic shifter had problems directly from the factory. Off-road package comes with a hill decent switch (that is honestly a bit gimmicky for those that really wheel) that had to be replaced within the first 30 days.

Some minor issues with CarPlay where it will back out of one menu to the previous and requires a second selection to bring back to previous page. I am a little disappointed it doesn’t do wireless CarPlay like most other modern Subarus, VWs and other modern cars

BOTTOM LINE: I do love this truck a lot, I have taken it off roaring in Moab, Zion, Death Valley, mud and snow in northern WA and a number of salt flats and desert terrain in NV. I have towed a car trailer 800 miles with no issues. This truck runs surprisingly cool in hot dry climates, but I am surprised to be running into drivetrain issues this early on. Let me know what you think of my build and if there were any experiences I left out 7BBD2606-59D4-45D2-A5EA-074BB1442EC2.jpeg
0F5320A8-E7F2-46C3-AFC1-26EC052B3370.jpeg
2EC00154-6D30-4F16-B07F-DC15C2FE12A2.jpeg
1870E7B9-C5FE-4699-BA45-3B6D4618A170.jpeg

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2" level from the factory? this is the first I'm hearing about this. most people i see are throwing a 2" level kit on the front.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s not from the factory. But it’s an option from mopar you can have installed. Which is basically like a factory lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not so sure about the 2 inch level built into frame “ that this model comes with”.
Also looks like you could be very close to your bump stops on rear suspension. You will certainly be there if you put much more weight on the rear with hauling or towing. Might need to raise the rear or get bags.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s not from the factory. But it’s an option from mopar you can have installed. Which is basically like a factory lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that makes sense. i saw in another thread OP stated the Rebel comes with the 2" factory level up front and i was very confused.

i know the aftermarket bumpers don't work (have that gap) because the Rebel grill design and the under headlight panels on the Rebel are different than the Laramie/Bighorn trims.

NRitland2

Reaction score
Love this post! Great seeing someone go for it, build it for true off road use and show how well the truck does

Nstewart18

Reaction score
that makes sense. i saw in another thread OP stated the Rebel comes with the 2" factory level up front and i was very confused.

i know the aftermarket bumpers don't work (have that gap) because the Rebel grill design and the under headlight panels on the Rebel are different than the Laramie/Bighorn trims.
So when you get the off-road package like this, they do level the front +2” and when I bought the bumper you have the option for a 2” lift option, which I did not pick, because I did not know it was leveled. You can get a flush bumper from ADD, but you gotta pick the right one.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So when you get the off-road package like this, they do level the front +2” and when I bought the bumper you have the option for a 2” lift option, which I did not pick, because I did not know it was leveled. You can get a flush bumper from ADD, but you gotta pick the right one.
i still don't think you are understanding what is being said. you have a Rebel, it is not offered with the "off-road group" or package as you say. the front is not leveled. The Rebel has the same lift as the off road group but is not leveled. you need to select the Rebel specfiic bumper from ADD because the grill and the body panels under the headlights are different than the bighorn/laramie trim.

unless i am mistaken. it seems like others have already chimed in about a Mopar level, but again the Rebel does not come leveled from the factory.

Svt40

Reaction score
Damn I apparently do not go anywhere then. Just a tick over 1 year for my truck as well and it's got 3769 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/