5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One Week with my 1500

HRCfan1

Reaction score
I'm OK with mine. My trailers max out at 7k:
View attachment 129349

Honestly, I was hoping for more with a 1/2 ton Diesel, but I know my 3.21 pushed down my towing capacity in favor of the fuel economy I want.

It might sound a little ignorant, but I do take capacities with a grain of salt. Proper loading, weight distribution, and responsible driving are a much bigger factor in how much you can carry. I purposely kept the sunroof, ramboxes, multi-gate, and air suspension out of the equation because I knew they would be heavy and hurt my payload.

I've seen them as low as 1050lbs, which is basically 5 adults and a cooler full of beer. I can promise you that even with all the bells and whistles, your 1500 can handle more than that. The main reason for the low numbers is in order to conform to the DOT's GVWR. The figures are incredibly conservative because your average moron is going to be going 85 down the highway with 10k strapped to his tail and absolutely no concept about trailer brakes or load distribution.

Dang. That seems like a really low towing capacity for a 2wd without some of the heavy options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TimGee

Reaction score
Sure, if you're doing it frequently. But, no reason to get a 2500 (payload isn't that great on some of those, either) to tow heavy once or twice a year.
Good point. Beautiful picture. Headed to Bear Lake, Utah in a week with my trailer. Can't wait. Kids are getting older. . . .

IMG_5746.JPG

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Dang. That seems like a really low towing capacity for a 2wd without some of the heavy options.
Yea, I purposely avoided a lot of the heavier options for this reason. When I started shopping, I saw how low they can go with certain additions, like sunroof, multigate, ramboxes, and other things. I wanted an optioned-out Ram, but I decided to forego the things I knew I really wouldn't use.

It seems the 3.21 is my main enemy when it comes to tow *rating.* Emphasis on the word 'rating' because I'm going to take that with a grain of salt.
1652724606578.png
It doesn't say it, but the only difference between the 2 trucks above is the A/R. Otherwise, Identical trucks.

Bottom line, I still prefer the 3.21, I'm trying to max out my efficiency. This is a road-trip/commuter/work vehicle that sees some towing here and there. I've made it clear in other discussions, I don't believe the 3.21 makes a huge difference on highways or on flat pulls. Maybe if I was pulling something up a slow mountain pass, but otherwise, I'm comfortable exceeding my ratings with caution.

I probably won't even have much opportunity to exceed my tow rating, but when I do, it will be under optimal conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread