5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One week review

clb5335

Reaction score
I bought a 2022 double cab big horn etorque 4x4 night edition one week ago. It has the level one safety, blind spot and cross path detection, and 9 speaker with sub. Here are my observations after one week and almost 1000 miles.

Overall, I love it. It's comfortable and quiet, gas mileage is decent and it looks awesome. I probably won't be evaluating towing until the spring when we get the camper back out. I have noticed a couple quirks already though.

The brakes feel strange when you are decelerating from a low speed with low brake effort. It seems like as you slowly pull your foot off the pedal, there is not a commensurate reduction on braking power. I wonder if this is the etorque system charging. It's not a big deal, but I would prefer for the brakes to always be linear. I will say this issue is less bothersome than my 2012 sierra which had a tendency to lurch forward at low speed and low brake pressure when then transmission would make its final downshifts.

The auto start/stop works great during normal driving. I'm pleased with that. I was a bit worried that it would annoy me, but it's been great. The only thing I don't like, is when I come to a stop in my driveway the engine shuts off. When I switch to park, it turns back on. Then I hit the off button. It's pretty silly for the engine to turn on when it is put into park. Is it possible to change this?

The 9 speaker alpine system is nowhere near as good as I hoped. The system has more bass than a normal stereo which is good. But other than that, the sound quality sucks. And even the bass sounds disconnected from the music. It sounds like bass, not like instruments. Everything drones and sounds muddy, guitars sound like they are being played in a cardboard box. I do not like it. And the worst thing is, it appears to not be easy to improve.

The cupholders do not accommodate a large water bottle. WTF!?

Active noise cancelling is cool. But I kind of wish it cancelled a little more wind and a little less hemi. Not that the wind noise is bad, it is overall one of the most quiet vehicles I have ridden in. Are there any adjustments for the level of noise cancellation?

The phone holder in the center console is cool. I'll be adding a wireless charger to it. The truck absolutely should have came with that from the factory.

I wish the steering wheel controls did more to control the infotainment. I don't like reaching over and trying to steady my hand to touch a little imaginary button on the touch screen while I'm driving down the road.

I wish I didn't have to hit unlock on the key fob. My wife's OLD 2008 Nissan altima had proximity sensors on the key and I was sure every new vehicle would have that feature in the near future. But here we are. Still pulling keyfobs out of our pockets to hit the unlock button like the cavemen did.

Well I think that's it, overall I'm extremely happy with my new (used) ram!

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a 2022 double cab big horn etorque 4x4 night edition one week ago. It has the level one safety, blind spot and cross path detection, and 9 speaker with sub. Here are my observations after one week and almost 1000 miles.

Overall, I love it. It's comfortable and quiet, gas mileage is decent and it looks awesome. I probably won't be evaluating towing until the spring when we get the camper back out. I have noticed a couple quirks already though.

The brakes feel strange when you are decelerating from a low speed with low brake effort. It seems like as you slowly pull your foot off the pedal, there is not a commensurate reduction on braking power. I wonder if this is the etorque system charging. It's not a big deal, but I would prefer for the brakes to always be linear. I will say this issue is less bothersome than my 2012 sierra which had a tendency to lurch forward at low speed and low brake pressure when then transmission would make its final downshifts.

The auto start/stop works great during normal driving. I'm pleased with that. I was a bit worried that it would annoy me, but it's been great. The only thing I don't like, is when I come to a stop in my driveway the engine shuts off. When I switch to park, it turns back on. Then I hit the off button. It's pretty silly for the engine to turn on when it is put into park. Is it possible to change this?

The 9 speaker alpine system is nowhere near as good as I hoped. The system has more bass than a normal stereo which is good. But other than that, the sound quality sucks. And even the bass sounds disconnected from the music. It sounds like bass, not like instruments. Everything drones and sounds muddy, guitars sound like they are being played in a cardboard box. I do not like it. And the worst thing is, it appears to not be easy to improve.

Active noise cancelling is cool. But I kind of wish it cancelled a little more wind and a little less hemi. Not that the wind noise is bad, it is overall one of the most quiet vehicles I have ridden in. Are there any adjustments for the level of noise cancellation?

The phone holder in the center console is cool. I'll be adding a wireless charger to it. The truck absolutely should have came with that from the factory.

I wish the steering wheel controls did more to control the infotainment. I don't like reaching over and trying to steady my hand to touch a little imaginary button on the touch screen while I'm driving down the road.

I wish I didn't have to hit unlock on the key fob. My wife's OLD 2008 Nissan altima had proximity sensors on the key and I was sure every new vehicle would have that feature in the near future. But here we are. Still pulling keyfobs out of our pockets to hit the unlock button like the cavemen did.

For what it’s worth, some of the items you mentioned above are included in the higher trims/packages.
Stereo system (Harman Kardon upgrade), wireless charging, and passive entry.

clb5335

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, some of the items you mentioned above are included in the higher trims/packages.
Stereo system (Harman Kardon upgrade), wireless charging, and passive entry.
I think that makes me more frustrated than I was before you told me lol

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think that makes me more frustrated than I was before you told me lol
Well if you want to get good and p1ssed, all of your complaints could be solved if you get a TRX.
Brake weirdness because of eTorque? Not a problem with the TRX (no eTorque).
Auto start/stop? Not a problem with the TRX (no A/S/S).
Noise cancellation? Doesn’t really matter because all you’ll hear is the supercharger whine. And you’ll love it.
Cup holder capacity? Ok, you got me there.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

This is the regenerative braking on the eTorque.

Is it possible to change this

This is how auto start/stop works and cannot be changed.

Are there any adjustments for the level of noise cancellation?

No

This can be added. I and many others added to ours.

Most of the items that you discussed on here are because you bought a Big Horn and not a higher-level truck. You can't expect them to give you everything that you talked about on here when you essentially buy the base model. Or one step up from a Tradesman.

clb5335

Reaction score
I'm intrigued by adding the passive entry. I assume there's a writeup here somewhere and I'll go looking. Is it difficult or expensive?

I'm also interested in adding adaptive cruise. I saw somewhere that should be possible with he level one safety hardware.

Overall the truck is better than I hoped for and these are pretty minor grievances.

Except the cupholders. Those are unforgivable.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I'm intrigued by adding the passive entry. I assume there's a writeup here somewhere and I'll go looking. Is it difficult or expensive?

I'm also interested in adding adaptive cruise. I saw somewhere that should be possible with he level one safety hardware.

Overall the truck is better than I hoped for and these are pretty minor grievances.

I've added both to my truck. Look in the modification section of this forum there are several write-ups. I have two on there for adding the digital rear view mirror and the 360° camera system called surround view.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score

you got a base model bighorn off the lot man. of course your not going to get most of the cool features. your truck is nearly a tradesman work truck. i have a bighorn but was built and spec'd out to be a Laramie and Rebel. only reason i did that is because i didn't want a Laramie or Rebel, both for separate reasons. my truck pretty much has all thoughts features.

n8zcc

Reaction score
When I took delivery of my 2022 Longhorn with the Longhorn Level 1 Equipment Group, that was the first thing I noticed, the cup holders were too small to hold my 1-gallon water jug!

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
When I took delivery of my 2022 Longhorn with the Longhorn Level 1 Equipment Group, that was the first thing I noticed, the cup holders were too small to hold my 1-gallon water jug!
find me a car/truck that has a cup holder to hold a 1 gallon water bottle. i have a 40oz hydro and even thats hard to fit in some.

clb5335

Reaction score
Finally someone with a sense of humor! Lol

CTRam1500

Reaction score
Good morning,
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie eTorque 4x4 Crewcab.
Now I do have the noise concellition in my vehicle. RAM says that is to help with the generator noise from eTorque.
I am getting wind noise from my doors.
It is driving me crazy.
Took it to 3 different dealerships to fix the problems under warranty.
They looked at the gaskets.
Door frames, and other items. They can hear the wind noise.
The final outcome...
IT IS THE CHARACTERISTICS OF THE VEHICLE.

THAT IS THE WAY THE TRUCK IS MANUFACTURED, AS PER RAM CUSTOMER SERVICE ( Tope).

Now I have a friend who has 2004 RAM 1500 that is quite as hell.

So RAM is saying that they are building a quite cab... I say hog wash ( I have to watch my language).
I had one dealership say it's a truck, not a Lexus.
I bought this truck to enjoy to drive it.
Not to listen to wind noise...
Nor have to turn up my music.
AND... this REALLY messes up my hearing aids when I have them on.

Never had this problem in my Ford F150.

vincentw56

Reaction score
First, why are you hyjacking someone else's post about your issue. Second, why are you double posting it? Third, quiet is subjective. One person might think it is really quiet, others might not. Without us hearing your truck, there is no way to know. Maybe see if there are other Rams you could drive to see if there is a difference.

CTRam1500

Reaction score
First, why are you hyjacking someone else's post about your issue. Second, why are you double posting it? Third, quiet is subjective. One person might think it is really quiet, others might not. Without us hearing your truck, there is no way to know. Maybe see if there are other Rams you could drive to see if there is a difference.
Sorry,
New to forums.
Didn't intend to hijack anyone's post.
I corrected that problem with the hijacked post.
I have driven other Rams...
Ands others have driven my Rams and have said that it is noisy ( windy).
Thank you for assisting me in fixing the way I present myself on this forum.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone was new to posting at one time, give the guy a break.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score

find me a car/truck that has a cup holder to hold a 1 gallon water bottle. i have a 40oz hydro and even thats hard to fit in some.
Ram has you guys covered for a gallon water bottle. Slide the cup holder back and there is a useless big cavernous pit right there. It will hold a gallon milk jug easily. (I would need a shovel to clean the junk out of my console space first).

Heck, Ram was even nice enough to provide gas milage that allows frequent stops to fill its baldder and empty yours if you are downing gallons of water at a time!

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Ram has you guys covered for a gallon water bottle. Slide the cup holder back and there is a useless big cavernous pit right there. It will hold a gallon milk jug easily. (I would need a shovel to clean the junk out of my console space first).

Heck, Ram was even nice enough to provide gas milage that allows frequent stops to fill its baldder and empty yours if you are downing gallons of water at a time!
I know your being smart but...... That's not a holder designated for 1 gallon jugs. That's storage space you just think that's what it's for. Also... don't ever disrespect that "big cavernous pit" with a gallon of milk, that pit is made perfectly spec'd out for a 12pk of the finest beer of your choice sir.

disarm

Reaction score
Also... don't ever disrespect that "big cavernous pit" with a gallon of milk, that pit is made perfectly spec'd out for a 12pk of the finest beer of your choice sir.
With all due respect, the finest beer deserves to be kept on ice in the back seat floor bin, or a whole case in the RamBox. So many options...

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know your being smart but...... That's not a holder designated for 1 gallon jugs. That's storage space you just think that's what it's for. Also... don't ever disrespect that "big cavernous pit" with a gallon of milk, that pit is made perfectly spec'd out for a 12pk of the finest beer of your choice sir.
Fits a bag of taco bell perfectly too!

baumann6

Reaction score

I have one of these and it works great.

Users who are viewing this thread