5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One tough Ram 3500

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yesterday at a freeway interchange (I-5 and SR 126 in northern LA County in CA) a Gen-4 Ram 3500 regular cab dually was towing a slant-bed fifth-wheel auto transport trailer with three vehicles on it, and somehow the whole thing got turned over onto the passenger side. Didn't see the accident, so have no idea how it happened, but there it was, the Ram 3500 and the auto trailer both over on their passenger sides, still attached at the fifth-wheel. The nose of the Ram was in mid-air, apparently the combination of the fifth-wheel hitch holding together and the contact of the right rear fender with the roadway, was stable enough that the front corner of the Ram never touched the ground. One of the three cars on the trailer came off, but two stayed strapped to the trailer. I didn't watch the proceedings continuously, had to work but checked back at the window occasionally to see what was happening. First thing they did was unhitch the Ram 3500 DRW and put it back on its wheels - right rear fender smashed, but not much other damage I could see (although I was a ways away). The Ram sat there for awhile while the two class-8 tow trucks/wreckers worked to get the auto transport trailer back on its wheels, and while that was happening a couple of guys were doing something around the right rear wheel of the Ram. Lo and behold, when all was said and done, the Ram was driven off under its own power. One of the class-8 wreckers towed away the auto transport trailer, but the Ram 3500 drove off on its own. That Ram 3500 impressed the heck out of me.

Docholliday

Reaction score
Late entry but, I just bought a 3500 DRW crew cab, having a flat bed put on it. My first Ram since the mid 1990's where my Cummins kept blowing the 44RE every 5000 miles. Good to know the 3500 is as tough as it looks / feels.

Users who are viewing this thread