5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Onboard air compressor

Sigfla

Reaction score
I have an ARB twin in the engine bay with remote filters in the fender well. I am curious about adding a tank. I haven’t had the compressor installed long but don’t wanna regret not adding a tank. I do have the manifold and I used 1/2 DOT poly line so when it charges it fills a good bit but nothing like a tank. I need to decide on upsizing my spare to 34’s to match my tires or ditching the spare and installing a 2-5 gallon tank. I can prob do both with a 1-2 gallon but I want to know if it’s worth the hassle.

DeanM2

Reaction score
Depends on what your going to do with compressor. If your going to run any kind of air tools, you want a tank. If its primarily for filling tires your better off without a tank.

Sigfla

Reaction score
Depends on what your going to do with compressor. If your going to run any kind of air tools, you want a tank. If its primarily for filling tires your better off without a tank.
Kinda what I figured. For the minimal cost of a small tank it’s just tough not to go ahead. Initially I did not want to deal with the maintenance (draining, etc.). After some research I see Viair tank has enough outlets in good locations it wouldn’t be too bad. I will have to fab up a bracket of some kind. Which is my only real hassle if I did it. I was mainly questioning the need bc when using an air gun testing my install it lost alot of umph after the initial charge got used up. I don’t have any air tools bc I am not that hardcore to need them at the moment but I do kinda live by the better to have it and not need it than the need it and not have it philosophy.

Sniper75

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a compressor and a tank also. I didn't want to leave the tank full which would cause water in the tank or turn on compressor and wait till tank was full. So this is what I went with a CO2 Powertank it's the best of both worlds. It can fill tires, run air tools etc. If I run low on CO2 I just run down to my local tank service center and fill it up. Hope this helps

Attachments

• 20230706_011430.jpg
    20230706_011430.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 6

Sigfla

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a compressor and a tank also. I didn't want to leave the tank full which would cause water in the tank or turn on compressor and wait till tank was full. So this is what I went with a CO2 Powertank it's the best of both worlds. It can fill tires, run air tools etc. If I run low on CO2 I just run down to my local tank service center and fill it up. Hope this helps
Already own the ARB and have it installed. Looked at the CO2 systems and honestly for my use it was overkill. Plus I didn’t want to deal with fills and having a big tank in the back of my truck in the FL heat. As long as you have decent access draining an air tank is no problem. You can even install an automatic drain. My current system holds charge for around 2 hours before I see any recharge. Plus air is free when I turn on the switch. Had no desire for a tank but after installing the ARB twin and researching them the cost is minimal, they have plenty of outlet ports for petcock/release valve, they are way more compact than I initially thought. Lastly I can discharge the tank super easy when not being used. I was a little worried about pressure in FL but 99% of the time the system is off an uncharged. When you need it I flip a switch and it charges pretty quick (in any case way faster than going to get a CO2 tank filled). If I was a serious off-roader I might go CO2. As it is my system is for filling toys, tires at the beach, and charging a water tank with pressure.

DeanM2

Reaction score
Your better off with no tank. Compressors put out more air at lower pressures. Which is perfect for tires and toys. Pumping a tank to 90+ psi just takes longer and adds no value for your use case.
And for tools, battery operated tools are better than pneumatic tools for most applications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online