5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On the road again!

drydocked

Reaction score
Left this morning for a 6 week, 4k+ mile trip from northwest WI to the FL keys and back with various stops in between. Picture was last night loaded and ready to go.
Was 16 degrees when we left this morning, drove 640 miles to our first stop in southern IL where we de-winterized the camper and are spending a couple nights. Good weather and little wind made for a good day. Last year we made a similar trip and had a foot of heavy snow on top of the trailer when we left plus a 15-20 mph headwind the first day. That was the worst mileage I ever got towing!
Turned 23k miles on the truck today, 12k on the trailer tow trip odometer.

Attachments

• 20230304_183014.jpg
    20230304_183014.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 86

drydocked

Reaction score
Jayco Jayflight 21QB. It's been discontinued and replaced by the 212QB, same dimensions and floorplan but less features.
It looks bigger in the picture than it actually is (21' camper, 26' hitch to bumper), must be an optical illusion.

Davidbt

Reaction score
Jayco Jayflight 21QB. It's been discontinued and replaced by the 212QB, same dimensions and floorplan but less features.
It looks bigger in the picture than it actually is (21' camper, 26' hitch to bumper), must be an optical illusion.
Thanks, ours is the 212QB and it's had nothing but problems. I thought your's looked very familiar. 20221119_113737.jpg

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, ours is the 212QB and it's had nothing but problems. I thought your's looked very familiar. View attachment 154100
We're getting off into the weeds, but my '19 Jayco had about 20 problems from new, dealers fixed about 15 of them, created more, and I fixed some. Sold with one major problem yet and was overjoyed to get rid of it. Never Jayco again.

drydocked

Reaction score
In case anyone is interested I'm posting the mileage and mpg stats from our trip. We left We left Sunday March 5th and returned home Friday April 14th.
Total miles driven: 6,161
Miles towing: 4,017
Fuel used: 426.25
Average overall mpg for trip: 14.45
Best mpg towing: 12.32 (1)
Worst mpg towing (not including 1st 2 tanks on winter fuel) 11.6
Best mpg not towing: 32.51
Estimated average mpg not towing: 23.4 (calculated using average of 12 for towing miles)

(1) only use those fill-ups that were 100% towing or non-towing were used for the best/worst data, most were a mixture of towing/non-towing. All of the towing-only fills used for this calculation were at 70-75 mpg interstate driving.
All mpg figures were hand calculated. Our first 2 tanks of winter fuel and before reaching warmer weather delivered 8.76 and 9.97 mpg. After that it was 12.16, 11.6 and 12.3 once we hit warmer weather and got into areas that didn't have winter blend diesel.
The best non-towing mpg of 32.5 was over a 3-day period that included day trips from Key Largo to Key West, Bahia Honda Key and Marathon Key. This was 45-55 mph traffic with some stop and go and a little around town type driving at the destinations.
The truck towed and performed great and needless to say I'm very happy with the fuel mileage this little diesel delivers!

Users who are viewing this thread