5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil

BigDave

Reaction score
First oil change yesterday. I decided to act a bit defensive against lifter fail etc, and so I bought the mopar filter and 7 qts of PUP… but I had the neighborhood oil change place do the job. That way I have the products that are warranty-friendly, AND a dated receipt they typed up with the oil and filter details on it.

I did it at about 40% remaining on oil time. Probably overthinking, but I figure the first thousand miles or so will have the most metal bits in it, from brand new engine, so I’ve got them out of there already.

I don’t want dodge to tell me my oil change habits are the reason for my failed cam lobe and deny me the warranty. But also I think the whole failure thing becomes much less likely if I do it this way.

oil pressure at warm idle is 30+ psi, so that bodes well… add these habits and I think I will have a 200k hemi on my hands.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are they using any special break-in oil these days, like with extra zinc, sulphur, moly, or whatever? If it's just good ordinary oil, change early and often should suffice.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
First oil change yesterday. I decided to act a bit defensive against lifter fail etc, and so I bought the mopar filter and 7 qts of PUP… but I had the neighborhood oil change place do the job. That way I have the products that are warranty-friendly, AND a dated receipt they typed up with the oil and filter details on it.

I did it at about 40% remaining on oil time. Probably overthinking, but I figure the first thousand miles or so will have the most metal bits in it, from brand new engine, so I’ve got them out of there already.

I don’t want dodge to tell me my oil change habits are the reason for my failed cam lobe and deny me the warranty. But also I think the whole failure thing becomes much less likely if I do it this way.

oil pressure at warm idle is 30+ psi, so that bodes well… add these habits and I think I will have a 200k hemi on my hands.

Exactly what I do, but they honor warranties for DIY owners who just keep a log and receipts, the way you did it is ahead of the game. You can't go too soon when it comes to oil changes in regards to warranty, the only stipulation with RAM is that you cannot go past a year regardless of how little miles you do, just keep that in mind.

I personally do 5,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first with PUP and OEM filter. The first oil change is the most important, that's where the most bits of metal are in. I have done an oil analysis of every oil change I've done on my RAM, and it takes 2-3 oil changes to wash out the initial break in, especially copper before it settle down.

Last edited:

BigDave

Reaction score
Exactly what I do, but they honor warranties for DIY owners who just keep a log and receipts, the way you did it is ahead of the game. You can't go too soon when it comes to oil changes in regards to warranty, the only stipulation with RAM is that you cannot go past a year regardless of how little miles you do, just keep that in mind.

I personally do 5,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first with PUP and OEM filter. The first oil change is the most important, what's where the most bits of metal are in. I have done an oil analysis of every oil change I've done on my RAM, and it takes 2-3 oil changes to wash out the initial break in, especially copper before it settle down.
very helpful, thanks much

23RAM

Reaction score
they honor warranties for DIY owners who just keep a log and receipts
Up here they fight with you over every little thing if you DIY, including unrelated things like electronics. If I buy the synthetic oil and filter myself, it costs about $70 plus my time. The dealer charges $90. I might as well let them do it and any problems it's 100% their issue and I get to hear them try to get out of it, at which point I get to smile and say it's all on them.

I'd rather do it myself, but for $20 twice a year, I'll let them suck it up. If oil and filters were cheaper like in the USA, I'd consider doing it myself, but for $20, free coffee and wifi, they can do it.
😁

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Up here they fight with you over every little thing if you DIY, including unrelated things like electronics. If I buy the synthetic oil and filter myself, it costs about $70 plus my time. The dealer charges $90. I might as well let them do it and any problems it's 100% their issue and I get to hear them try to get out of it, at which point I get to smile and say it's all on them.

I'd rather do it myself, but for $20 twice a year, I'll let them suck it up. If oil and filters were cheaper like in the USA, I'd consider doing it myself, but for $20, free coffee and wifi, they can do it.
😁

Oh I would as well, but for me it's not the economics, it's the trust. I honestly don't trust the entry level techs they assign to do the oil changes, I usually find a fault with it and rather just do it myself. But if you got a good shop you trust, keep going to them :)

Users who are viewing this thread