5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

oil weight, MDS, and lifter failure. It's settled.

Mirowpl

Reaction score
Yes I traded my 2020 hemi with 3.21 gears for new 2022 eco diesel with 3.21 Talk about living on the edge….

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I think the scary thing about these new vehicles is the misleading info from the factory. First off, the ZF trans they claim is "fill and run for life." Meanwhile, ZF and every manufacturer recommends a pan/filter/fluid change at 50-60k and then thereafter. Which I've done.

Now the oil weight debacle. I've done 9 out of 10 oil changes on my truck. Highest quality oil (AmsOil) in the recommended weight (5w-20, as it says on the cap), and I do have some measure of ticking at 66k. The dealer has me slated for a visit to inspect the manifolds because it does seem like the common passenger side one is cracked. Part of me wonders though, is it also a lifter on it's way out.

The truck has been babied too. Meticulously maintained, driven conservatively, and only the highest quality fluids used. I guess time will tell.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think the scary thing about these new vehicles is the misleading info from the factory. First off, the ZF trans they claim is "fill and run for life." Meanwhile, ZF and every manufacturer recommends a pan/filter/fluid change at 50-60k and then thereafter. Which I've done.

Now the oil weight debacle. I've done 9 out of 10 oil changes on my truck. Highest quality oil (AmsOil) in the recommended weight (5w-20, as it says on the cap), and I do have some measure of ticking at 66k. The dealer has me slated for a visit to inspect the manifolds because it does seem like the common passenger side one is cracked. Part of me wonders though, is it also a lifter on it's way out.

The truck has been babied too. Meticulously maintained, driven conservatively, and only the highest quality fluids used. I guess time will tell.

There have been other reports of Amsoil being noisy in the hemi. Try switch to something different, there are other "highest" quality oils available. Also recommend 5w-30.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Interesting. Redline perhaps?

I've used Redline and liked it. They have recently changed their formula and I no longer know what they're doing there and if its better or worse than their previous formula. I also used Mobil 1 Euro 0w-40, and I'm now using HPL.

You could try drain 15 oz of your current oil and put 15 oz of LubeGuard in to see if that quiets it up after 1000+ miles. I'm not a fan of mixing oils with additives, but it might be a cheap way to determine if your engine can quiet down as many report LG having that effect. If it does work I'd switch to one of the other 3 oils without LG, but that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread