5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil weight and viscosity

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamFam2023

Reaction score
Hey Everyone! My 2022 1500 is coming up on its first oil change. I see that the manual recommends 0W-20. I wanted to see what others are running in their Hemis because I know that some people thinks that 0W-20 is too thin of an oil for this size engine.

My question to you is: What type of oil do you run and why? And are you a brand snob? (I’m not but I wanted to get the Coke vs. Pepsi debate for oil started haha)

raygun9

Reaction score
I ran redline 0w30 for about 10 years in my 2012 5.7, with my 2020 Ive been sticking w PUP 5w20.. the redline was great at calming down lifter noise but it might have been overkill.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mobil One Extended Performance 0W-20. I ran Mobil One in my last truck, a 1998 Dakota. I had it for 17 years with 250,000 miles on it with no engine issues. Seemed to work well, so I see no reason to change brands.

BigRedTD

Reaction score
When I had a Hemi (2010, 2015 & 2018), I ran 5w30 and it kept the engine quiet with great wear numbers on the oil analysis.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
5W-20 Penzoil Ultra Platinum, also great oil analysis results (I do one at every oil change) and no worries about powertrain warranty..

You will get two positions on what oil to use, some say 20W too thin, only for mpg. Others say 30W too thick, will hurt upper valvetrain lubrication. Neither side has definitive proof to fully support their side.

Some blame 20W and MDS for the failed lifters, yet, the 6.4L Hemi runs 40W and has no MDS and has just as many lifter issues. No one truly knows.

Do the one that makes you feel best, because in the end, a engine that runs 0W-20 and one that runs 5W-30 will last just as long, and certainly longer than most owners will keep them. Assuming all the variables are the same and you didn't get a bum set of roller pins from the factory.

Last edited:

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everyone is wrong unless they're using PUP 5W30 with Lubegard. ;)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! My 2022 1500 is coming up on its first oil change. I see that the manual recommends 0W-20. I wanted to see what others are running in their Hemis because I know that some people thinks that 0W-20 is too thin of an oil for this size engine.

My question to you is: What type of oil do you run and why? And are you a brand snob? (I’m not but I wanted to get the Coke vs. Pepsi debate for oil started haha)
The debate has already been hashed out in multiple threads. Shutting this one down you can search for the other threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread