5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil temps towing

mjamesgt

Reaction score
So I wasn't sure whether to post this in the towing section or the hemi section but here goes. This past weekend I was towing my boat (approx 7k lbs) in 100 F heat. On some of the hilly stretches my oil hit 255 F and then when the road flattened it was back to 215 range. I currently am running 5w20 PUP. If i go up to 5w30 will my oil temps lower? Should I be changing my oil now after seeing those temps? I had planned to run 5k miles between oil changes. Also I only tow about 10% of all my miles, maybe even less. Suggestions?

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I wasn't sure whether to post this in the towing section or the hemi section but here goes. This past weekend I was towing my boat (approx 7k lbs) in 100 F heat. On some of the hilly stretches my oil hit 255 F and then when the road flattened it was back to 215 range. I currently am running 5w20 PUP. If i go up to 5w30 will my oil temps lower? Should I be changing my oil now after seeing those temps? I had planned to run 5k miles between oil changes. Also I only tow about 10% of all my miles, maybe even less. Suggestions?

The manual recommends 5w20 synthetic, all day every day, for all conditions. Unless your truck gave you any warning light indications that it was operating outside of it's deigned intention, like an oil temp overheat warning, I'd say you're fine. Not sure how often you're towing, but unless it's a ridiculous amount, I'd say just keep an eye on the oil life monitor, as well as check the oil itself to see when it starts to look too dark, and go from there. If you are towing a lot, and often, you can go with the Sever Duty schedule, which is to change it at every 4,000 miles, per the manual.

mjamesgt

Reaction score
Ok that’s kinda what I was thinking also. No lights went off on the dash. I don’t tow often, just don’t want to hurt a brand new engine. This thing has to last me a while!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parnine

Reaction score
What were your transmission temps? The tranny genrally fails long before the engine when towing and keeping your tranny temps down and in the right gear is always a focal point when towing heavy loads.

mjamesgt

Reaction score
What were your transmission temps? The tranny genrally fails long before the engine when towing and keeping your tranny temps down and in the right gear is always a focal point when towing heavy loads.
Those were quite steady the entire drive, don't think they went above 215 F.

Users who are viewing this thread