5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Starvation Z63 “Campaign”

JaneGI

Reaction score
I think you're over reacting a bit. Your truck is driving just fine. It's documented that you took it in so if your truck blows up it will be covered.

Black oil is normal on diesels. It will be pitch black within a thousand miles.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
I want to say one other thing about your comment. Some of us aren't sitting on a ton of cash. If this truck smokes-out because of a RAM factory screw-up. I'm out of the vehicle. The only vehicle I have. That means if my dealer doesn't go out of his way and provide a loner, I'm buying a rental for a month, possibly. Plus, this issue of oil starvation can cause serious problems down the road. I'm dumping this truck as soon as possible. For sure, I'm dumping this truck before any real warranty is over. So that means I'm out of this truck before 3yr/3600. Meaning I need to come out of pocket. Normally, I drive a truck for at least 50K miles, but nope, not this truck.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess you didn't read my other comments. My truck also had a fuel tank nearly fall off after purchase. (LEMON ALERT) If you got this Z63 notice, you're being told the factory installed the incorrect parts into your Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. Those parts are fully responsible for engine lubricant during the first few moments the engine starts. That simply means while you might not have a failure during the first thousands of miles, you may see a full engine meltdown after 20K or 30K of engine wear. It's a disgrace. What is even more disgraceful is the fact when I brought it to the dealership, they downplayed the entire thing. Additionally, Ram doesn't have PARTS! The parts are all on back order for me and this guy who started the thread. Meaning RAM sent us a "oh, by the way" letter and forgot to have the parts ready for the storm that follows.
So you had one issue, I assume the dealer took care of it.

Now you MAY have another. But so far nothing to prove you do and you want to ditch the truck?

If your engine were to blow they most certainly would provide you with a loaner. Since this is a potential documented issue.

I have a 2020 ecodiesel with 73,000km and I've had zero issues other than a small battery monitor being replaced under warranty.

If you're that worried just get rid of it now, but no brand is perfect.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update. I have my truck back from the dealer. I spoke with the service manager and the mechanic who worked on the truck. The mechanic said the Z63 campaign was specifically for only 33 Ram 1500 Ecodiesels, 2022 model year, that had been identified as have a faulty anti drain valve o ring in the oil filter adapter. Their procedure was to check the oil for any sort of metal shavings. If any kind of metal shavings found, a new engine would be fitted. If no metal shavings, they'd replace parts related to the anti drain valve and oil filter adapter. They didn't specify what parts. They did not find any metal shavings in my oil. Phew. Parts are on back order. They said it's good to drive, but I'm cautiously skeptical. Pretty much gonna just park it until parts are here. Good excuse to drive the old Landrover anyway.
^^^
My bold, above

So, less than 3 dozen vehicles are affected by this issue??? That seems amazingly small.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just returned from my dealership with the same "recall" Z63 Oil starvation. What a load of, I don't know what. My dealership told me the same thing. They said it sounds worse than it is. I was like what? The dealer said Ram makes these notices sound like the end of the world. HA! I told him, step two on the recall was to replace the engine. In vehicle terms, that is the end of the world, Broh! Aseras is right, they need to do more than check the dipstick. The dealer told me he checked the filter for sparkles/engine pieces and there should also be a code if the oil pressure has issues. My engine had none of those things. But, this gives me zero warm fuzzy feelings. The engine oil when it was changed the first time was black as night. I had the opportunity to see it because when the dealer changed the oil he dumped it all down the front of my suspension. Much of it ended up on my garage floor. So yeah, it was very black thick stuff. Now I have a truck with 9K miles and who knows if the bearing isn't half baked. Thanks Ram for my 2022 pretty red piece of junk. I'm going camping this week and I'm driving this so called truck. If it blows oh well. I'm spinning the dice to see if it will make it 8 hours towing 7 tons. Have a feeling we will get it done. After my trip I'm dumping this RAM Good Ship Lollipop. I'm headed to the Toyota dealer to get a new truck. Because I'm sure NOT going to keep this thing. The damage is done.
You’re doing an 8 hour trip while towing 14,000lbs with an ecodiesel?

JaneGI

Reaction score
So you had one issue, I assume the dealer took care of it.

Now you MAY have another. But so far nothing to prove you do and you want to ditch the truck?

If your engine were to blow they most certainly would provide you with a loaner. Since this is a potential documented issue.

I have a 2020 ecodiesel with 73,000km and I've had zero issues other than a small battery monitor being replaced under warranty.

If you're that worried just get rid of it now, but no brand is perfect.

"If your engine were to blow they most certainly."

You're hilarious.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I want to say one other thing about your comment. Some of us aren't sitting on a ton of cash. If this truck smokes-out because of a RAM factory screw-up. I'm out of the vehicle. The only vehicle I have. That means if my dealer doesn't go out of his way and provide a loner, I'm buying a rental for a month, possibly. Plus, this issue of oil starvation can cause serious problems down the road. I'm dumping this truck as soon as possible. For sure, I'm dumping this truck before any real warranty is over. So that means I'm out of this truck before 3yr/3600. Meaning I need to come out of pocket. Normally, I drive a truck for at least 50K miles, but nope, not this truck.

The powertrain warranty for the diesel engine is 5 years/ 100,000 miles.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My bad 3.5 tons. Meant to say 7 thousand pounds. Is that all you've got to add to the conversation?
Ok, three things.
1) You could be trying to tow that much, so how could any of us actually know? People do stupid things all the time.
2) You won't last long here if you continue posts like that.
3) If all you're after is a pity party, you won't get what you want here.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"If your engine were to blow they most certainly."

You're hilarious.
Yes I'm hilarious. And you're combative. You seem to only want to hear what you want to hear. People are trying to help you out.

I know you've been here for a whopping 8 posts but there are many on this forum who are very experienced with Ram trucks. I've had two Gen 5s and have had little to no issues with both.

Sell your truck, get a Toyota. That's the solution you've seen to come up with.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just returned from my dealership with the same "recall" Z63 Oil starvation. What a load of, I don't know what. My dealership told me the same thing. They said it sounds worse than it is. I was like what? The dealer said Ram makes these notices sound like the end of the world. HA! I told him, step two on the recall was to replace the engine. In vehicle terms, that is the end of the world, Broh! Aseras is right, they need to do more than check the dipstick. The dealer told me he checked the filter for sparkles/engine pieces and there should also be a code if the oil pressure has issues. My engine had none of those things. But, this gives me zero warm fuzzy feelings. The engine oil when it was changed the first time was black as night. I had the opportunity to see it because when the dealer changed the oil he dumped it all down the front of my suspension. Much of it ended up on my garage floor. So yeah, it was very black thick stuff. Now I have a truck with 9K miles and who knows if the bearing isn't half baked. Thanks Ram for my 2022 pretty red piece of junk. I'm going camping this week and I'm driving this so called truck. If it blows oh well. I'm spinning the dice to see if it will make it 8 hours towing 7 tons. Have a feeling we will get it done. After my trip I'm dumping this RAM Good Ship Lollipop. I'm headed to the Toyota dealer to get a new truck. Because I'm sure NOT going to keep this thing. The damage is done.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have heard and read the new tundra has twin turbo issues. Maybe they have resolved the issues, but I would do some research before heading over there.

JaneGI

Reaction score
Ok, three things.
1) You could be trying to tow that much, so how could any of us actually know? People do stupid things all the time.
2) You won't last long here if you continue posts like that.
3) If all you're after is a pity party, you won't get what you want here.
3. Nope, not looking for a pity party. Looking for constructive input here. Something like, have you checked this or have you investigated the computer codes. Look for code # something along those lines. Or maybe even pointing to another forum about the same issue. 2. Stop threatening me about how long I'm going to last. Do you want to shut up the woman that challenges people for answers, and is venting a bit about her new Ram truck being put together wrong? 1. People do stupid things, that's right! They even put the wrong parts into trucks when they build them. (See Ram 1500 Oil Starvation)

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3. Nope, not looking for a pity party. Looking for constructive input here. Something like, have you checked this or have you investigated the computer codes. Look for code # something along those lines. Or maybe even pointing to another forum about the same issue. 2. Stop threatening me about how long I'm going to last. Do you want to shut up the woman that challenges people for answers, and is venting a bit about her new Ram truck being put together wrong? 1. People do stupid things, that's right! They even put the wrong parts into trucks when they build them. (See Ram 1500 Oil Starvation)
^^^
My bold.

And with that...the first addition to my ignore list.

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Then sell it, and move on to another forum...

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stuff breaks, stuff gets built wrong. It happens. What matters if it gets fixed promptly and you get taken care of. That's what warranties are for.

That said the current QA of wait until someone complains needs to be addressed too. There's way too much ship it now fix it later going on in everything now and it sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread