5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil sample

Comfrt1

Reaction score
I used Amsoil in my 2022 3500 6.7 engine for the first time, now I want to get a sample to send to a lab for analysis . The issue that I'm having is , I'm trying to push a vinyl tube down the dip stick tube but it gets hung up about 5 inches from reaching the oil in the pan. It seemed like such a simple way to do it but its just not working. Any tricks or other ways to get a quick oil sample with out removing the drain plug?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I used Amsoil in my 2022 3500 6.7 engine for the first time, now I want to get a sample to send to a lab for analysis . The issue that I'm having is , I'm trying to push a vinyl tube down the dip stick tube but it gets hung up about 5 inches from reaching the oil in the pan. It seemed like such a simple way to do it but its just not working. Any tricks or other ways to get a quick oil sample with out removing the drain plug?
have not heard of anyone getting the tube down the dipstick
which is why a lot of us use this

U

User_3336

sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
Not ideal, but I use this to change the oil in my snowblower because the drain plug is a disaster. Never had a problem with that, but I was able to push the tubing in after lubing it up with oil without too much force.

I would never bother to try it in my truck, and the dip stick area is much larger on my snow blower then our trucks which are not intended to have anything shoved down it.

OP should bite the bullet and just change his oil, not like oil is expensive compared to everything else imo. And next time he knows how long he can go after it checks checked out.

Comfrt1

Reaction score
Not ideal, but I use this to change the oil in my snowblower because the drain plug is a disaster. Never had a problem with that, but I was able to push the tubing in after lubing it up with oil without too much force.

I would never bother to try it in my truck, and the dip stick area is much larger on my snow blower then our trucks which are not intended to have anything shoved down it.

OP should bite the bullet and just change his oil, not like oil is expensive compared to everything else imo. And next time he knows how long he can go after it checks checked out.
I just really only need an ounce or 2, im trying to avoid the potential mess by not using the drain plug.

Comfrt1

Reaction score
have not heard of anyone getting the tube down the dipstick
which is why a lot of us use this

I like this idea.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have removed excess oil before by using a cheap standard liquid pump and aquarium air line, which is thinner to fit a dipstick tube but still has decent interior diameter for oil. Works like a charm in just about any dipstick tube.

You can connect the airline hose to your pumps bigger hose by using electrical tape to thicken up the outside wall diameter to fit your larger hose. Then once it fits snug, tape the outside as well to hold the two hoses together. I highly recommend you cut your airline hose longer than the dipstick length so you don't accidentally get it stuck inside the tube.

I never worry about the dealership putting too much oil in our cars during oil services (for the ones I don't do myself) because of this system. I can remove any oil through the dipstick easily and cleanly.

Last edited:
U

User_3336

I have removed excess oil before by using a cheap standard liquid pump and aquarium air line, which is thinner to fit a dipstick tube but still has decent interior diameter for oil. Works like a charm in just about any dipstick tube.

You can connect the airline hose to your pumps bigger hose by using electrical tape to thicken up the outside wall diameter to fit your larger hose. Then once it fits snug, tape the outside as well to hold the two hoses together. I highly recommend you cut your airline hose longer than the dipstick length so you don't accidentally get it stuck inside the tube.

I never worry about the dealership putting too much oil in our cars during oil services (for the ones I don't do myself) because of this system. I can remove any oil through the dipstick easily and cleanly.
Great idea. you're so inventive! :)

Comfrt1

Reaction score
Great idea. you're so inventive! :)
I have the perfect tubing for the job it gets stopped about 6 inches from full insertion. No mater what I do it won't go past rhat last little point, very aggravating!!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the perfect tubing for the job it gets stopped about 6 inches from full insertion. No mater what I do it won't go past rhat last little point, very aggravating!!

Is it similar to aquarium airline tubing? The reason why I use that is it's small enough to get past those bottle necks while not being too small to siphon oil up to a 60W.

Go to your local pet store, buy some airline tubing, and give it a try. Make sure it's a least a foot beyond the dip stick length, that way you can keep shoving once you feel it stuck. I haven't run into a dipstick tube this didn't work on.

Users who are viewing this thread