5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil reco's for 70K mile 5.7 etorque

Adjutant

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have been going through alot of the "what did you do to your Ram today" pages, and I see several different oils that people seem to swear by
I even saw someone used a 0W oil, and that made people crazy (in a good natured way)

What would your choice of oil be for a "mid mileage" 2021?
This truck came off lease, and the guy was religious about maintaining his truck. He also kept it spotless. I had someone ride with me, and he said he thought it was "right off the lot". It really is pristine, and I want to baby this thing

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you continue to maintain it and change the oil every 5-6K miles, it's not likely to matter what brand you use. 0w-20 is fine, 5w-20 is also fine

• What makes 0W-20 suitable for use in the corresponding 5W or 10W vis-grades?​

0W motor oils (0W-20) are suitable for use in 5W applications because the 20 refer to the viscosity measurement value. That value is the one most critical aspect to match when selecting a motor oil. The 0W or 5W refers to the pumpability in cold temperatures. Therefore, a 0W would flow more easily than a 5W and could be an acceptable substitute. Thus, it is suitable to use a SAE 0W-20 as a replacement for SAE 5W-20 application.

**Offers same protection as 5W but also provides faster flow and better fuel economy.

Just don't post that you didn't spill any on the oil change 🤯🤡

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have been going through alot of the "what did you do to your Ram today" pages, and I see several different oils that people seem to swear by
I even saw someone used a 0W oil, and that made people crazy (in a good natured way)

What would your choice of oil be for a "mid mileage" 2021?
This truck came off lease, and the guy was religious about maintaining his truck. He also kept it spotless. I had someone ride with me, and he said he thought it was "right off the lot". It really is pristine, and I want to baby this thing
You saw someone use a 0w oil because that's what the manual says to use. Different years even in this generation claims different weight oil. My 2022 lists 0w20 per factory spec.

Just use what is in your manual get full syn and change it every 7-10k miles (check levels every 2k miles to make sure you aren't burning it up)

Adjutant

Reaction score
Thanks guys. My truck is going to remain a pavement princess. I love the Rebels that are totally outfitted for overlanding, but thats not in my wheelhouse.

Im still in the "honeymoon" phase with this truck. I just want to treat it well. I always keep up on services, but thought there might be some hidden gems in the oil change world

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. My truck is going to remain a pavement princess. I love the Rebels that are totally outfitted for overlanding, but thats not in my wheelhouse.

Im still in the "honeymoon" phase with this truck. I just want to treat it well. I always keep up on services, but thought there might be some hidden gems in the oil change world
Since you got 4x4 buy one of these to help with your oil change, get some tubing from Home Depot\Lowes to attach to it

Jmac509

Reaction score
I use Pennzoil ultra platinum with the mopar filter.

I would use the recommended oil that's on your fill cap for your model and year of truck. I've heard all sorts of competing theories on why you would want thicker or thinner oil.

My experience is anecdotal so take it for what its worth, but I was one of the guys who subscribed to running a thicker grade of oil (5w-30) instead of the factory oil (5w-20). My 5.7 failed from lifter failure after 130k miles. I heard a theory that lifter wear occurs at idle since the oil pump is running at a lower pressure/flow. I thought it was interesting for 2023 they switched to 0w-20 oil. I'm wondering if they reduced the weight in an attempt to increase flow through the lifters at idle with the thinner oil.

On the flipside my buddy had a 2500 with the 5.7 that had 300k miles on it with zero issues running the weight of oil his truck recommended its entire life.

river rat

Reaction score
This stuff last forever and makes your exhaust smell like guacamole.

71fH9kPevlL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/