5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil question again

GFK51

Reaction score
I promise that this will be my last question on oil, today at least. I am going to order Pennzoil Ultra Platinum from Walmart, they do not stock the Ultra Platinum. I am torn between ordering the 5w20 and the 5w30. My Longhorn has only 5,000 miles and I do not want to mess up my warranty if anything goes south. Please help me decide.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If it's DIY under the factory 5 year / 60K powertrain warranty, you want to use the OEM filter and 5W-20 oil that is FCA/Chrysler approved on the back of the container. I prefer Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W-20, heck it even has a new RAM on the label :) That oil is well reviewed and meets all of your requirements and has compared well against PUP.

The Mopar filter number is MO-339, you should find it at Walmart as well. Buy two 5-gallon jugs, cheaper than individuals.

Keep your receipts. Note that Walmart receipts bleed easily, so make sure after you purchase your oil & filter, you take a picture of it and store it on your computer. Keep a log of the dates you did your oil change as well.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You'll end up having to make this decision on your own because some people will say 5w20 and some will say 5w30. The only thing I'm going to tell you is that you can never go wrong with following the owner's manual recommendation.

Reverse

Reaction score
I promise that this will be my last question on oil, today at least. I am going to order Pennzoil Ultra Platinum from Walmart, they do not stock the Ultra Platinum. I am torn between ordering the 5w20 and the 5w30. My Longhorn has only 5,000 miles and I do not want to mess up my warranty if anything goes south. Please help me decide.
Read your manual? Or trust the opinion of some guy you've never met on the Intertubes. Your call :)

Users who are viewing this thread