5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil pressure gauge drops to halfway at idle then back to normal when driving

Jamesgland

Reaction score
Should I be concerned about this?

Noticed today that the oile pressure gauge dropped to halfway when I stopped at a red light. Then it jumped back to normal position (3/4) when I started driving again.

It did this the entire ride home …dropping when stopped and jumping when driving.

2019 Tradesman
5.7 Hemi V8
44k miles

Attachments

• 2464F3B8-29CE-48A7-B976-DBD8ABB16AD9.jpeg
    2464F3B8-29CE-48A7-B976-DBD8ABB16AD9.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 5922E5A2-9E59-4666-9ED0-D3FB4AB81C27.jpeg
    5922E5A2-9E59-4666-9ED0-D3FB4AB81C27.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Noticed today that the oiled pressure gauge dropped to halfway when I stopped at A red light. Then it jumped back to normal position (3/4) when I started driving again.

it did this the entire ride home …dropping when stopped and jumping when driving.

2019 Tradesman
5.7 Hemi V8
44k miles

That’s normal. Engine oil pressure is always lower at idle. Less oil circulating at lower pressure when not under load. These gauges are sometimes a curse because they make us think something is wrong! If pressure was low you’d get a low oil pressure light on the display

Think of it like your heart rate or pulse. Less exertion, lower pulse. And vice Versa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamesgland

Reaction score
That’s normal. Engine oil pressure is always lower at idle. Less oil circulating at lower pressure when not under load. These gauges are sometimes a curse because they make us think something is wrong! If pressure was low you’d get a low oil pressure light on the display

Think of it like your heart rate or pulse. Less exertion, lower pulse. And vice Versa

Thanks man! I appreciate the help!

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Noticed today that the oile pressure gauge dropped to halfway when I stopped at a red light. Then it jumped back to normal position (3/4) when I started driving again.

It did this the entire ride home …dropping when stopped and jumping when driving.

2019 Tradesman
5.7 Hemi V8
44k miles

Your oil pressure will fluctuate based on RPM. Idle will obviously be lower than when driving when the engine is at a higher RPM. The oil pump runs off the crankshaft, the more rpm, faster the oil pump runs, the more pressure

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Only a curse because people are so used to only having the idiot light that only comes on when the problem gets to the point of causing damage. Or the guages that were configured as basically go/no-go and never actually fluctuated with actual oil pressure.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only a curse because people are so used to only having the idiot light that only comes on when the problem gets to the point of causing damage. Or the guages that were configured as basically go/no-go and never actually fluctuated with actual oil pressure.

Exactly

Users who are viewing this thread