5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Pressure Behavior After First Oil Change

mikerbahn

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I noticed that my oil pressure runs higher than "normal" for the first 3 miles or so when first driving the truck. It idles ~53 psi and climbs to ~60 psi during normal driving.

After the first few miles, it will drop back down to what I have noticed, prior to my first oil change, to be "normal": ~38-40 psi when idle, 50-52 psi when driving.

Note: I did not notice, nor check, what the oil pressure was in the first 3 miles of driving before my first oil change, so all of this could be completely valid. I just wanted some opinions from folks that are more mechanically knowledgeable than me. :)

jabara572

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I noticed that my oil pressure runs higher than "normal" for the first 3 miles or so when first driving the truck. It idles ~53 psi and climbs to ~60 psi during normal driving.

After the first few miles, it will drop back down to what I have noticed, prior to my first oil change, to be "normal": ~38-40 psi when idle, 50-52 psi when driving.

Note: I did not notice, nor check, what the oil pressure was in the first 3 miles of driving before my first oil change, so all of this could be completely valid. I just wanted some opinions from folks that are more mechanically knowledgeable than me. :)

Cold oil pressures are always higher than hot pressures. Your #'s are good to go, totally normal.

Users who are viewing this thread