5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil or Dry Filter for Cold Air Intake

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve always opted for the K&N oiled filter. I’m sure there will be those who say that the oil will wind up in the intake and on the throttle plate. I have never experienced this. The only oil I’ve seen in the intake is downstream of the factory PCV. A good bit of oil gets sucked in from there. That’s the reason some folks install a catch can.

Plenty of dyno results for the K&N filters producing a few more horsepower. Also a few tests over thousands of miles that show that high performance filters (oiled or dry) don’t filter quite as well as the factory paper filters. Never had a problem though.

RenoRam

Reaction score
Thoughts, recommendations.
Thanks
Think you might receive opinions on both sides. With that stated, I've run both and prefer dry flow. In the end, it is what you're comfortable with.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Think you might receive opinions on both sides. With that stated, I've run both and prefer dry flow. In the end, it is what you're comfortable with.
+1

I never realized any benefit from running K&N oiled gauze filters.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I run AFE in all of my vehicles (dry ) and have been quite happy with them.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AFE has multiple air intakes available for 2019s now by the way. Oiled and dry options available. Either will probably be fine, but I prefer dry for a little more peace of mind.

PorBoy

Reaction score
I also see they supposedly have a cold air intake for our DT trucks.

pguerrero693

Reaction score
AFE has multiple air intakes available for 2019s now by the way. Oiled and dry options available. Either will probably be fine, but I prefer dry for a little more peace of mind.
How often do you change the filter on the intake for the dry setup

RenoRam

Reaction score
I believe that AFE states to "clean" the filter around 50k miles. I will be looking to order their dry flow filter shortly.

PorBoy

Reaction score
I didn’t know S&B had a drop in air filter for the 2019 DT....

boltbarge

Reaction score
Installed the afe Magnum force cold air intake with the oiled filter
Did you notice any difference in power or improvement in sound? Your video sounds good, do you have any other exhaust modifications on your ram?

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you notice any difference in power or improvement in sound? Your video sounds good, do you have any other exhaust modifications on your ram?

A little power bump not much. The sound is amazing from the air intake. the exhaust is stock

Users who are viewing this thread