5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil life monitor stuck at 100%

DieselFuelOnly

Reaction score
Any ideas? It was working until reset after the oil was changed, I attempted to reset again but seems as if it still will not move from 100%.
I guess I should try the KISS method of a battery shunt.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On a serious note, I changed mine the other day and it would not let me reset the life meter until I drove a few hundred yards.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Any ideas? It was working until reset after the oil was changed, I attempted to reset again but seems as if it still will not move from 100%.
I guess I should try the KISS method of a battery shunt.

How many miles have you driven since you reset?

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I actually just did about a 750 mile road trip right after the change.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Sorry. I See that question was for OP

Oh no worries, but you did get my brain moving a bit. Realized it takes me about 100 miles to drop 1% but that's a lot of stop and go. I think the OP should call the dealer and see what they think before he unplugs the battery. It could take overnight or 24 hours for all your Unconnect stuff to work again after a battery disconnect. Better to not disconnect if it isn't required.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh no worries, but you did get my brain moving a bit. Realized it takes me about 100 miles to drop 1% but that's a lot of stop and go. I think the OP should call the dealer and see what they think before he unplugs the battery. It could take overnight or 24 hours for all your Unconnect stuff to work again after a battery disconnect. Better to not disconnect if it isn't required.
Yeah, we’ve seen evidence that it’s just a 10K mile countdown, barring anything like excessive idle hours. So 1% = 100 miles, as you wrote. That being said, the OP has an issue. There’s no way it would stay constant for 800 miles.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. Mine’s dropped 2% and I’m at 190 miles. OP has some kind of issue. Maybe a battery reset would help this.

sppb32

Reaction score
I don't trust it, i change my oil every 6k miles i don't care what percentage it is, always had problems with my GMC Envoy if i was going by the oil life monitor even using top synthetic oil it always had built up crude clogging the cam timing solenoid.

GerryS

Reaction score
Yeah, we’ve seen evidence that it’s just a 10K mile countdown, barring anything like excessive idle hours. So 1% = 100 miles, as you wrote. That being said, the OP has an issue. There’s no way it would stay constant for 800 miles.
We don’t know how many miles the OP has put on since he reset the oil life. Before disconnecting the battery, maybe reset it again and keep track of the miles.
Gerry

SD Rebel

Reaction score

I didn't mean to make it sound too linear, that's just a sample based on my normal street heavy driving, if I take it on a long trip it goes to about 150-200 miles = 1%. It definitely adjust on other factor(s) besides a straight count down.

However, since I work from home, I do my oil change annually to stay in the 5yr/60K powerstrain warranty, around 4,300 miles per year. My computer still has me at about 37%.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't mean to make it sound too linear, that's just a sample based on my normal street heavy driving, if I take it on a long trip it goes to about 150-200 miles = 1%. It definitely adjust on other factor(s) besides a straight count down.

However, since I work from home, I do my oil change annually to stay in the 5yr/60K powerstrain warranty, around 4,300 miles per year. My computer still has me at about 37%.
I’ve got a Lifetime MaxCate warranty, so I stick to the 1-yr oil change interval as well….which just happened to be yesterday. I had 8,150 miles this time around with 16% oil life remaining. And that included a major outlier in the form of a 3,300-mile road trip.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I’ve got a Lifetime MaxCate warranty, so I stick to the 1-yr oil change interval as well….which just happened to be yesterday. I had 8,150 miles this time around with 16% oil life remaining. And that included a major outlier in the form of a 3,300-mile road trip.
Lifetime MaxCate warranty looks like that is not available anymore

Users who are viewing this thread