5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Leak

The Critic

Reaction score
2020 5.7 eTorque, 12K.

First discovered this oil leak around 7K. Dealer acknowledged the issue and replaced the oil filter adapter/cooler assembly. I cleaned the area very well after the repair, but the oil leak has returned.

I am not familiar with these engines. Valve cover gasket on that bank is bone dry. Cylinder head looks dry as well. Where else could it be leaking from?

Edit: upon further inspection there appears to be oil residue on a sensor that screws into the block. Oil temperature sensor?

Attachments

• 80817442-975C-4823-83C3-B5C4AB64E507.jpeg
    80817442-975C-4823-83C3-B5C4AB64E507.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 199
  • 969900A0-C26C-4E8D-A497-CCA14C329D7F.jpeg
    969900A0-C26C-4E8D-A497-CCA14C329D7F.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

brewdog

Reaction score
I have this same exact problem. Noticed when changing oil for the first time that the metal tube next to oil filter had oil droplets on it, wiped it clean and it continues to leak. From your pictures do you know what the oil filter adapter/cooler assembly is?

The Critic

Reaction score
I have this same exact problem. Noticed when changing oil for the first time that the metal tube next to oil filter had oil droplets on it, wiped it clean and it continues to leak. From your pictures do you know what the oil filter adapter/cooler assembly is?
The oil filter adapter/cooler is the metal piece that the oil filter screws onto.

brewdog

Reaction score
Not sure if you have figured out your leak yet, but as I said before mine looks to be exactly what your experiencing, will attach photos. I took mine to the dealer and they cleaned all oil residue off and put dye in engine oil, service advisor called me after test driving the vehicle for 20 miles and said there was no leak, I told him in fact there is a leak and I showed you the pictures when dropping off truck. Got a call the next day that they had found a leak coming from threads around sensor, so they used sealant on threads and re torqued sensor. After cleaning everything very well and driving a few hundred miles the leak was back, but this time I was able to pin point it myself. There is a hex bolt plug going into engine block above sensor that is leaking oil (picture attached). It is at the dealer now getting repaired will keep you posted. First two pictures are prior to taking it in the first time, third picture is the leak I discovered. Hope this helps you out.

Attachments

• IMG_0725.jpeg
    IMG_0725.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0729.jpeg
    IMG_0729.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0742.jpeg
    IMG_0742.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 200

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not sure if you have figured out your leak yet, but as I said before mine looks to be exactly what your experiencing, will attach photos. I took mine to the dealer and they cleaned all oil residue off and put dye in engine oil, service advisor called me after test driving the vehicle for 20 miles and said there was no leak, I told him in fact there is a leak and I showed you the pictures when dropping off truck. Got a call the next day that they had found a leak coming from threads around sensor, so they used sealant on threads and re torqued sensor. After cleaning everything very well and driving a few hundred miles the leak was back, but this time I was able to pin point it myself. There is a hex bolt plug going into engine block above sensor that is leaking oil (picture attached). It is at the dealer now getting repaired will keep you posted. First two pictures are prior to taking it in the first time, third picture is the leak I discovered. Hope this helps you out.
Nice job with finding the oil leak and pictures.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I commend you on tracking the leak down on your own. Who do they hire to work on these trucks, school children? I'm thinking I'd have serious reservations about taking my truck to that dealership for anything if they couldn't even find a simple oil leak on a relatively new engine. Thanks for posting the details and pics. (y)

The Critic

Reaction score
Excellent find. I am going thru the exact same scenario.

I took the truck to the dealer on 5/3. They acknowledged the leak but said it is residue from the last repair. The area was cleaned and dye was added. They kept the truck, drove it for 100 miles, and said there was no leak. I got the truck back, drove it for 200 miles and found the leak to be back. This time I decided to clean and reseal the oil temp sensor myself. After doing so, the leak was back within 100 miles. I will check the hex bolt tomorrow. Please keep us updated on the fix for this; depending on what it entails, I may just address it myself.

The Critic

Reaction score
I just went outside to check mine. Unfortunately the oil galley plug is bone dry on mine.

I am going to order a replacement sensor from a different dealer, install and reevaluate.

Users who are viewing this thread