5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil leak 2019!

TAroux

Reaction score
Howdy,
I’ve recently noticed some oil spots in the drive way, climbing under the truck I checked the drain cap and the oil filter both seemed to be clean and tightened. It seems like the oil is coming out of this part and I’m not quite sure what it is? Anyone have this issue? View attachment 75620

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’re attachment did not work. Did you recently get an oil change done though??

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Howdy,
I’ve recently noticed some oil spots in the drive way, climbing under the truck I checked the drain cap and the oil filter both seemed to be clean and tightened. It seems like the oil is coming out of this part and I’m not quite sure what it is? Anyone have this issue? View attachment 75620
Can't view attachment...try adding the photo as a thumbnail. Also...if it looks like it's coming from the part thats under your oil filter...then it's coming from the filter. Might either be oil filter is not the correct size or there's too much oil in the engine.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think I saw his pic earlier on another post, if it was that same post, it was a rubber grommet near the vicinity of the oil filter, highly likely it was residual oil from an previous oil change that wasn't clean up right. Especially since the part it was on didn't have any oil to leak.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think I saw his pic earlier on another post, if it was that same post, it was a rubber grommet near the vicinity of the oil filter, highly likely it was residual oil from an previous oil change that wasn't clean up right. Especially since the part it was on didn't have any oil to leak.
I figured it had to just be from a previous change.

Ecotanker

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. strange thing is it hasn't leaked for the first 5K on the new filter... I went under it yesterday after I found the spots on the driveway and it looks like it is coming from around the filter... I grabbed the filter with my hand and tried to tighten it and it tightened about a inch. Has anyone else experienced the filter loosening up over time? Never had this issue with my Ford and this was the first oil change on the Ram. It has 11K on it now, changed the oil at 4K (break in change). I put a WIX 57060XP and 5W20 QSUD in it. I normally hand tighten oil filters. Does RAM require it to be tighter? Has anyone else experienced them loosening up?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am having the same problem. strange thing is it hasn't leaked for the first 5K on the new filter... I went under it yesterday after I found the spots on the driveway and it looks like it is coming from around the filter... I grabbed the filter with my hand and tried to tighten it and it tightened about a inch. Has anyone else experienced the filter loosening up over time? Never had this issue with my Ford and this was the first oil change on the Ram. It has 11K on it now, changed the oil at 4K (break in change). I put a WIX 57060XP and 5W20 QSUD in it. I normally hand tighten oil filters. Does RAM require it to be tighter? Has anyone else experienced them loosening up?
Never had one come off, I hand tighten 3/4 to 1 turn after contact. Oh yeah - also punctured one tightening it with an oil filter wrench early in my oil change career - my mechanic buddy had a good chuckle. Somehow I felt he had done similar at one time.

JV77

Reaction score
I had this issue after my 2nd oil change IIRC. I have used my local dealer with the MOPAR synthetic oil change coupon for all changes so far. Approximately 2,000 miles after the 2nd oil change, I came home to find a large oil spot on my driveway. Normally I park in the garage, but this morning I had to park out on the driveway for a few hours in very low temps (around 0 degrees or so). To this date I had not had a spot of oil under this truck in my garage or in my normal parking spot at work. When I saw the spot on my driveway, I immediately checked under my truck to see oil all over the filter and surrounding parts. The seal was barely making contact, but it took a full turn with one finger and thumb before I even had to grab the filter with my whole hand to tighten some more.

As it was not actively leaking when I got home, and had not left a drop at my spot at work, my belief is that the cold temps that morning, coupled with a loose filter allowed for the seal to blow by when I started the truck and everything sealed back up after the engine got up to temp. The issue has not occurred again, but I do make a point of checking the filter for tightness after each oil change now (it has been tight every time). My hope is that the tech on that day just didn't tighten the filter fully, but enough for it to be sealed and that I will never have this issue again, but I will be watching this thread to see if it is more widespread.

Also, when I do my own oil changes, I typically tighten the filter 3/4 to 1 full turn past when the lubricated seal makes contact with the filter housing surface. It typically is about hand tight at that point. That method has never failed me in the past. I am sure it is possible these trucks have a specified tightening procedure, but I haven't seen it. If anyone knows of one, I would like to have that info for future reference.

Barqs

Reaction score
I had the same issue after my first or second oil change from the dealership. In my case it appeared to be dripping from a component directly below (steering or something, can't remember). They found the filter very loose and asked where I had taken it for my previous oil change because their mechanics always check twice before lowering the vehicle. Oops, it was them!

Users who are viewing this thread