5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Filters Recommendations

Bionicbo

Reaction score
Looking to see what oil filters people are using or prefer, I've always used napa gold but want to see if there is something better to maybe switch to. I'm running full sythentic.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use K&N Gold for the nut on the bottom of the filter and I've heard good things about Mobil1 (same internals as the K&N?)... Any premium filter should perform fine.

Ch28

Reaction score
Any thoughts on purolator boss? Got a couple off amazon on sale for 8ish. Just dont see a lot of mentions for them on here.

SacRebel

Reaction score
Mobil 1 they have a 20,000 mile rating. This will make oil changes easier and probably more frequent if I don't have to change the oil filter every time.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to see what oil filters people are using or prefer, I've always used napa gold but want to see if there is something better to maybe switch to. I'm running full sythentic.
I've been using Mobil 1 Extended Performance. This doesn't mean it's the best available, but it's good, proven, and designed for 1-year change intervals. I've used Purolator PureONE in the past as well. For what it's worth, here's an interesting rundown from bobistheoilguy.com:

(All filters rated at 20um unless otherwise stated)
AC-Delco 98% at 25-30um
Amsoil 98.7%
Bosch D+ 99.9% at 40um
Bosch Premium 99%
Fram XG 95%
Fram TG 99%
Fram Ult 99%
Mobil 1 EP >99% at 30um
Motorcraft 80%
Purolator 96%
Purolator Boss 99%
Purolator PureOne 99%
Royal Purple 99% at 25um
Wix/NG 95%

The bottom line is that you can use any premium filter with good results, as long as you're not trying to run crazy OCIs.

Bionicbo

Reaction score
Any thoughts on purolator boss? Got a couple off amazon on sale for 8ish. Just dont see a lot of mentions for them on here.
I just got one as well, still debating on using it or not, I'll be calling to get firm numbers on efficiency rating.

Bionicbo

Reaction score
I just got one as well, but I will be returning, after calling and speaking to the tech department, numbers are as follows Purolator red 99% @ 30 microns, PurolatorOne 99% @ 20, and PurolatorBoss 99% @ 40.

Daniel

Reaction score
Hey i use castrol syntec 5w20 with mobil 1 filters

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Champion makes the filters for many of these companies and look at this filter that is on closeout. I have them and they are a premium filter 99% at 20 microns. I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum at 5k intervals.

Dixit

Reaction score
This is what I been using and created a parts number cross reference.

Oil Filter Part# 4892339AA (Original Ram filter) (Wix 57060) (Mobil M1-113A)
Oil Filter Part# 04884899AC (Hellcat Oil filter that fits) (Wix 57899) (Mobil M1-210A)
Oil Filter Part# 5038041AA (Viper Oil filter that fits) (Wix 57063)

I personally been using the Wix XP 57899 which is the one for the Hellcat and fits fine. Decent amount wider than the stock filter.

alangsam

Reaction score
Anyone heard of service champ? I had to go to jiffy lube as I couldn’t get to the dealer and this is what they used?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Anyone heard of service champ? I had to go to jiffy lube as I couldn’t get to the dealer and this is what they used?
Jiffy Lube filters are the WORST...pieces of crap and cost JL like $2. If you ever find yourself in a bind and need to use these types of services, buy and supply your own filter.

Users who are viewing this thread