5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Filter vibrating loose!?!

Yzcr87

Reaction score
The idea of a filter loosening itself sounds ridiculous but I've noticed the same on my 23'. The OEM filter was tightened with the force of a thousand suns. The next 5 oil changes I thought I was losing my mind when noticing how loose the filter was on removal each time. No leaks, just not "hand tight".
I'm due for my 6th oil change tonight & I'm gonna mark the filters position on the housing to see if it actually is somehow loosening itself or if I need to book myself a reservation for the funny farm.
WIX 57060 & M1 EP 0w-20 at 5,000mi intervals for reference.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've never had this issue with the OEM Mopar filter. I tighter 1 full turn after initial contact as per instructions (about as tight as a hand can do with normal strength) and never had anything close to a loose oil filter even a year later or 5,000 miles.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The idea of a filter loosening itself sounds ridiculous but I've noticed the same on my 23'. The OEM filter was tightened with the force of a thousand suns. The next 5 oil changes I thought I was losing my mind when noticing how loose the filter was on removal each time. No leaks, just not "hand tight".
I'm due for my 6th oil change tonight & I'm gonna mark the filters position on the housing to see if it actually is somehow loosening itself or if I need to book myself a reservation for the funny farm.
WIX 57060 & M1 EP 0w-20 at 5,000mi intervals for reference.
Fwiw, the rubber gasket will compress some with heat cycles. So filter may not be turning to loosen, just the gasket compressing some

Mike_WI

Reaction score
Make sure your oil pressure sensor isn't loose and leaking. I kept thinking my filters were getting loose and leaking oil. But 1000 miles I to my last oil change I actually saw drops of oil under the truck. First time since I've had it. Since my truck is lifted I can craw under it without jacking it up. Crawler under and filter was snug. Did some quick google searching which pointed me to pressure sensor. Reached down and I could turn the sensor by hand. I tightened it up. Haven't seen.any oil drops since. Need to look and see if the filter is coated like it was doing before, when I thought my filter was coming loose
That's a new path to explore. I will definitely look into that. Not exactly sure where the oil pressure sensor resides, but I'll figure it out. Thanks for the reply.

Mike_WI

Reaction score
Just a bad dealership. I use the SRT filters with no problems. You can also use a regular strap oil filter to tighten it and then to lose it. Factory filter I had to use oil wrench pliers to get it off destroying the filter in the process.
All other cars/trucks I use K&N due to the nut but I wasn't happy with how small the filter was that matched the truck.
I've never had to use a wrench to further tighten a filter, but I'm not against it in this case. I've never really cared for the metal band oil filter wrenches. I'll probably use a rubber banded strap wrench. Up to this point, my favorite oil filter wrench to only remove filters has been this cheap set I bought from Harbor Freight of all places. Kind of like a uniquely shaped slip joint set of pliers, with 2 opposing, crescent moon shaped jaws. They've been great honestly. I wouldn't want to use them to tighten though, as they will most likely pinch and deform the filter a bit, or worse.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've never had this issue with the OEM Mopar filter. I tighter 1 full turn after initial contact as per instructions (about as tight as a hand can do with normal strength) and never had anything close to a loose oil filter even a year later or 5,000 miles.
Same here. 3/4-1 turn and never had a problem. I need to use my strap wrench to loosen every single time and I even go closer to 10,000 miles between changes.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's a new path to explore. I will definitely look into that. Not exactly sure where the oil pressure sensor resides, but I'll figure it out. Thanks for the reply.
It's directly above the oil filter. Just checked mine and it's bone dry now. Before my filter would have a thin costing of oil all over it.

Users who are viewing this thread