5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Filter Relocation Kit

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No, it will not. As long as it is installed properly and doesn't cause any issues.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Well, depends on the your service advisor. Let me give you the other side of the argument here. Say the rather well known issues of roller lifter/pins becomes a problem in the future, they could say your aftermarket oil relocation kit caused it. Effected the oil pressure or flow rates, or any other thing they can make up.

Then you say, "prove it!". Then they say, "nope, take us to court if you want". They then stick their hands in their pockets and walk away as they then force you to prove it. Yes, you can say the Magnuson-Moss act all you want, but you can't force the dealership or the manufacturer to repair your truck if they found an excuse not to.

You then could spend potentially months or years trying to prove your case in court and in the end, may not actually win it. All because of an oil filter that is just a little bit of a hassle to remove once or twice a year?

Save yourself the money of a relocation kit and possible hassle of a warranty issue and just use the zip-lock bag method to remove my oil filter, I never spill a drop. You use 2 zip lock bags. Break the filter loose, slip on the first bag, and drain the initial oil. Stops after a few seconds, remove that bag and slip on the 2nd bag. Then finish unscrewing. Simple, zero mess. I've done 4 oil changes on my truck, and the oil filter isn't an issue with this method, I actually look forward to doing it.

However, if you still want to go with the kit, speak with your service advisor first before you do it. They could be cool and say no problem, make sure to get it in writing just in case.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, depends on the your service advisor. Let me give you the other side of the argument here. Say the rather well known issues of roller lifter/pins becomes a problem in the future, they could say your aftermarket oil relocation kit caused it. Effected the oil pressure or flow rates, or any other thing they can make up.

Then you say, "prove it!". Then they say, "nope, take us to court if you want". They then stick their hands in their pockets and walk away as they then force you to prove it. Yes, you can say the Magnuson-Moss act all you want, but you can't force the dealership or the manufacturer to repair your truck if they found an excuse not to.

You then could spend potentially months or years trying to prove your case in court and in the end, may not actually win it. All because of an oil filter that is just a little bit of a hassle to remove once or twice a year?

Save yourself the money of a relocation kit and possible hassle of a warranty issue and just use the zip-lock bag method to remove my oil filter, I never spill a drop. You use 2 zip lock bags. Break the filter loose, slip on the first bag, and drain the initial oil. Stops after a few seconds, remove that bag and slip on the 2nd bag. Then finish unscrewing. Simple, zero mess. I've done 4 oil changes on my truck, and the oil filter isn't an issue with this method, I actually look forward to doing it.

However, if you still want to go with the kit, speak with your service advisor first before you do it. They could be cool and say no problem, make sure to get it in writing just in case.
They have to prove it, you do not. If they claim warranty void, you proceed as if it were a warranty issue they failed to correct and either go lemon law or MMWA and send the notices and proceed from there. They have to prove causality they can't just go blanket denying anything. You really have to do things that are really blatant to lose warranty coverage. That said if you lose oil pressure and the engine spins the bearings and there's codes stored for loss of oil pressure and you show up with this installed with obvious signs of leaking, that's easy for them to prove. They can't deny you a radio or air conditioner or transmission warranty because of the oil filter. You are explicitly allowed to use after market parts, including oil filters, however "complex" they may be having a remote installation. The dealerships know jack all and say crap that's wrong all the time. You send the legal notices required by your state or federal and then the manufacturer has to step in and actually make them look at it and have a "real" mechanic look and that's where a real warranty determination will be.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
They have to prove it, you do not. If they claim warranty void, you proceed as if it were a warranty issue they failed to correct and either go lemon law or MMWA and send the notices and proceed from there. They have to prove causality they can't just go blanket denying anything. You really have to do things that are really blatant to lose warranty coverage. That said if you lose oil pressure and the engine spins the bearings and there's codes stored for loss of oil pressure and you show up with this installed with obvious signs of leaking, that's easy for them to prove. They can't deny you a radio or air conditioner or transmission warranty because of the oil filter. You are explicitly allowed to use after market parts, including oil filters, however "complex" they may be having a remote installation. The dealerships know jack all and say crap that's wrong all the time. You send the legal notices required by your state or federal and then the manufacturer has to step in and actually make them look at it and have a "real" mechanic look and that's where a real warranty determination will be.

Of course they cannot deny your radio or A/C warranty do to an oil filter. But we aren't talking about that, we are talking about an internal engine problem they can easily blame or make-up because you installed a 3rd party oil filter relocation kit that literally changes where the oil is filtering from on your engine. That isn't a Mopar kit, but likely something overseas with various parts made by who knows who, who likely didn't do much testing before putting the kit out for sale. They can simply say your kit caused the problem, they can make up whatever reason they want.

Either way, you cannot make the dealership perform warranty work they don't believe they have to. Sounds like we are saying the same thing, you will need to take them to court, however that can literally take months or even years, especially now. There are many examples of dealerships avoiding warranty work due to various reasons even more minor than an relocation kit. Again, in reality, you are the one who has to prove it, since no one can make them do it. Not like you can call the cops or your local & Federal government is going to call them an make them do anything likely without some sort of judgment.

In the end, is it worth the possible risk, time and money for something that is actually not that hard to do? But whatever the OP wants to do, I think at the very least, go and speak with his service advisor or even Mopar warranty and ask them about it before installing the kit. If they say no problem, get it in writing.

2001gw

Reaction score
Of course they cannot deny your radio or A/C warranty do to an oil filter. But we aren't talking about that, we are talking about an internal engine problem they can easily blame or make-up because you installed a 3rd party oil filter relocation kit that literally changes where the oil is filtering from on your engine. That isn't a Mopar kit, but likely something overseas with various parts made by who knows who, who likely didn't do much testing before putting the kit out for sale. They can simply say your kit caused the problem, they can make up whatever reason they want.

Either way, you cannot make the dealership perform warranty work they don't believe they have to. Sounds like we are saying the same thing, you will need to take them to court, however that can literally take months or even years, especially now. There are many examples of dealerships avoiding warranty work due to various reasons even more minor than an relocation kit. Again, in reality, you are the one who has to prove it, since no one can make them do it. Not like you can call the cops or your local & Federal government is going to call them an make them do anything likely without some sort of judgment.

In the end, is it worth the possible risk, time and money for something that is actually not that hard to do? But whatever the OP wants to do, I think at the very least, go and speak with his service advisor or even Mopar warranty and ask them about it before installing the kit. If they say no problem, get it in writing.

Makes you wonder....why doesn't Mopar make "AND INSTALL" a kit like this at the factory????? :rolleyes:

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Just design it right to begin with. Have you ever changed the filter on the Pentastar V6? Had one in a Jeep. I was shocked the first time I changed the oil. Pop the hood, unscrew a cap on the front of the motor, lift out the filter, drop the new one in and screw the cap back on. Stupid simple.

Oil change places were on their knees screaming at the sky when this design came out.

Users who are viewing this thread