5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Filter Relocate Kit For The 5.7?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I considered this kit but I'm having good success using a zip lock bag over the filter.

One potential issue is if something goes wrong with the motor the dealership will immediately blame the kit.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The zip lock bag method, or the 2x zip lock bag method means zero drips for me when changing the filter.

Use 1 gallon zip locks, slip on the first bag after breaking the filter loose and turning about 1/2 turn, once the oil starts dripping out, wait until it stops, maybe 30 seconds, slip off that first bag. Then slip on the 2nd bag and finish unscrewing. Note there is about 1/4 of a liter of oil that will fall out of the filter mount once you remove the filter, hold the bag over the mount to catch that.

Easy peasy.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The zip lock bag method, or the 2x zip lock bag method means zero drips for me when changing the filter.

Use 1 gallon zip locks, slip on the first bag after breaking the filter loose and turning about 1/2 turn, once the oil starts dripping out, wait until it stops, maybe 30 seconds, slip off that first bag. Then slip on the 2nd bag and finish unscrewing. Note there is about 1/4 of a liter of oil that will fall out of the filter mount once you remove the filter, hold the bag over the mount to catch that.

Easy peasy.
I can't use the bag method anymore. Since I use the larger SRT filter, just not enough room.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I can't use the bag method anymore. Since I use the larger SRT filter, just not enough room.

I gotcha, yeah I can see how that won't work well.

Switch back to the MO339. Most oil analysis I've seen in including 3 I've done on my own truck which spends a lot of time off-road in the desert show excellent filtration from the factory filter. Way below acceptable limits of "dirt" in the sample. The bigger filter probably honestly isn't doing you any favors other than making harder to do your oil change.

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
I concur with Knightro84 - fumoto valve and the PacBRake kit - makes changing my oil quicker, easier, and cleaner. No offense SDRebel - I never got the hang of the 2 bag method. Only got away "clean" once out of 4 times using that method. I'm VERY happy with the relocation kit. Well worth it IMHO.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

~Ocho1~

Reaction score
I have the fumoto oil drain plug, & oil udder. But honestly the zip lock bag method works best for me. I'm going on like my 4th oil change & at this point I'm doing it in like 25 minute (mainly because oil doesn't drain as fast through the Fumoto as it would if I just pull the plug. Zero drips

It's pretty easy for me now.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the fumoto oil drain plug, & oil udder. But honestly the zip lock bag method works best for me. I'm going on like my 4th oil change & at this point I'm doing it in like 25 minute (mainly because oil doesn't drain as fast through the Fumoto as it would if I just pull the plug. Zero drips

It's pretty easy for me now.
Shoot, when I change my own oil, I let it drip for at least 1/2 hour after the stream stops. I don't need to be fast in my garage, it's not Jiffy Lube. Get as much of the old oil out.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Shoot, when I change my own oil, I let it drip for at least 1/2 hour after the stream stops. I don't need to be fast in my garage, it's not Jiffy Lube. Get as much of the old oil out.
I did that a couple times, and the oil would sprinkle sideways because of the wind and get over the driveway.
I would think 10-15 minutes is about normal. I only give my Ram maybe 5 minutes on the pain because it's more of a pain to funnel out. I let the oil filter sit for about 10 minutes slightly unscrewed draining into it's filter\funnel though because I don't need to hold it.

I like the idea of the oil filter relocation thing, but it's kind of expensive, and I don't think personally it will save me as much time as it would take to actually install it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did that a couple times, and the oil would sprinkle sideways because of the wind and get over the driveway.
I would think 10-15 minutes is about normal. I only give my Ram maybe 5 minutes on the pain because it's more of a pain to funnel out. I let the oil filter sit for about 10 minutes slightly unscrewed draining into it's filter\funnel though because I don't need to hold it.

I like the idea of the oil filter relocation thing, but it's kind of expensive, and I don't think personally it will save me as much time as it would take to actually install it.
I have a nice garage I change my oil in. So no wind for me. With the fumoto valve and drain tubes the oil goes right into oil pan, so even if it was outside shouldn't be effected by wind

JK47TheWeapon

Reaction score
Anyone have a picture of where you relocated the filter to when using the pacbrake kit?

Users who are viewing this thread