5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Filter for Ecodiesel ?

Croaker

Reaction score
Because of delays in receiving my ordered Ram1500, I was given free oil changes.

After calling a few dealerships who use Rotella oil in the Ecodiesel, I found one who said they only use Mopar MS-12991 in the EcoDiesel, so I made the appointment. Many dealers are still using Rotella which would be fine with me if it complied with MS-12991 ???
Not trusting that they would provide the correct filter, I checked before leaving the dealership and found that the filter was different than the stock filter. It was glossy and did not have the “M” “Mopar” logo imprint.

When I confronted the service manager, he said it was a genuine Mopar filter and he did not know why it was different. He showed me (what he said was) the box that the filter came in. He said that the housing may be different because the filters are now a “one-time-use”, so a running change may have been made to replace the older heavier-duty filter with logo.

So, my question to the 5gen Ram community… Do ALL of the newer Mopar filter cartridges have a Mopar logo embossed on them. ? If so, I got cheated. (So did Ram because they paid for the oil change)

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m only giving my experience. Every oil filter that came in a mopar box for my diesel (4 so far) has been stamped with the M. The one time I ordered off amazon and it came in a plastic bag, it was a knock off and didn’t have the M.

Croaker

Reaction score
This oil filter was installed by a Mopar Dealer Service Department. I did not expect to get a non-Mopar filter from a certified Mopar dealer?? 4CD9C313-C25A-4D93-B87F-6A3DBC2BEDC3.jpeg

Last edited:

Croaker

Reaction score
Well, I contacted a local dealer and they were unable/unwilling to determine if this is a Mopar filter. I also sent a DM to “Ram Cares” and they are also unable to say.

So far, nobody can say if there is a difference in the Mopar filter and the unmarked $20 aftermarket filter. Since none of the professionals, including “Ram Cares”, knows the answer, I am going to assume that Stelantis is OK with their dealers using the $20 filters.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I contacted a local dealer and they were unable/unwilling to determine if this is a Mopar filter. I also sent a DM to “Ram Cares” and they are also unable to say.

So far, nobody can say if there is a difference in the Mopar filter and the unmarked $20 aftermarket filter. Since none of the professionals, including “Ram Cares”, knows the answer, I am going to assume that Stelantis is OK with their dealers using the $20 filters.
With the shortage of filters that seems to be persisting, it wouldn’t surprise me any if they just got them from a random Chinese manufacturer. I don’t know if that’s the case, it just wouldn’t surprise me.

Croaker

Reaction score
With the shortage of filters that seems to be persisting, it wouldn’t surprise me any if they just got them from a random Chinese manufacturer. I don’t know if that’s the case, it just wouldn’t surprise me.
I agree. But that just means we can all use the $20 filter. 😎

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
Probably would be better to go back to replace-able filters in the cartridge - less cost for consumers.

The dealers can get away with cheap aftermarket crap, and DIY-customers are stuck finding and paying for OEM to keep the warranty.

This is the classic example of “Screw the Americans” while China banks (OEM or Aftermarket).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Croaker

Reaction score
I thought it may have been an enterprising employee exchanging them and selling the $90 filters online. (They showed me the Mopar box they said it came in)

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I thought it may have been an enterprising employee exchanging them and selling the $90 filters online. (They showed me the Mopar box they said it came in)
Oooh, didn’t think if that. Wouldn’t be the craziest thing I’ve heard of.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just priced mopar oil filters at my local dealer in Ontario Canada. $96 Canadian plus taxes a piece….

They also said they had a truck in the shop that had a blown up eco diesel due to lack of maintenance and the warranty claim was denied as the owner had only done 2 oil changes when he should have completed 4 based on mileage.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With how important filtration is on these diesels, I’d hate not knowing if I had an official oil filter or not. I have the 8 year warranty and I’m so nervous about them finding any reason to decline me “You see sir, you’re not using a Mopar oil filter” claim denied. Even if I bought it from a dealer?

Save your receipts I guess?

Croaker

Reaction score
I am going to replace it because I don't believe it is the correct filter. But it pisses me off because it was a warranty oil change and should have been free. Now I have to pay.

on another note... two out of four dealers in my area wanted to use Rotella. The other two said Mopar. There is really no way of knowing what oil they are using.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am going to replace it because I don't believe it is the correct filter. But it pisses me off because it was a warranty oil change and should have been free. Now I have to pay.

on another note... two out of four dealers in my area wanted to use Rotella. The other two said Mopar. There is really no way of knowing what oil they are using.
It's sad that after 3-4 years they are still trying to use the wrong oil on the 3rd gen ecodiesel. This is why my truck gets serviced by me only as at least I know I'm using the correct products.

I've switched to Quaker state 5W-40 Euro. It goes on sale frequently for $35CDN for 5 litres.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just priced mopar oil filters at my local dealer in Ontario Canada. $96 Canadian plus taxes a piece….

They also said they had a truck in the shop that had a blown up eco diesel due to lack of maintenance and the warranty claim was denied as the owner had only done 2 oil changes when he should have completed 4 based on mileage.
I just ordered two from Mopar parts Canada. They were about $70. You have to pay shipping which was about $25 but even with shipping and tax it's cheaper than local dealer.

I've used rock auto in the past and they are usually priced well but I just checked last week and their prices shot up. Must be a "shortage" again.

I wish a good aftermarket company like Wix would make one. I don't trust the Amazon Chinese knock offs.

CDN Billet

Reaction score
I just ordered two from Mopar parts Canada. They were about $70. You have to pay shipping which was about $25 but even with shipping and tax it's cheaper than local dealer.

I've used rock auto in the past and they are usually priced well but I just checked last week and their prices shot up. Must be a "shortage" again.

I wish a good aftermarket company like Wix would make one. I don't trust the Amazon Chinese knock offs.

I agree from ordering from Mopar Parts Canada. Looks like price went up to $74 each.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not too far. Like an hour. I’ll have to look them up. But the knockoff filters look identical to the OEM. Any bets made in the same factory? If they were cheaper I’d cut an OEM one in half and the knockoff to see the differences. But alas. At damn near 100 a piece - nope.

dmitriy

Reaction score
Do they even sell the ones which come apart anymore? (just the plastic cup ones?)

Users who are viewing this thread