5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Filter Adapter...will this work on a 2021 RAM 1500 Limited with a 5.7 eTorque?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'll try to answer the questions and address comments.

"what's the benefit of running 2 filters instead of 1?"
Well, there's much more filtration area with two filters.
I was going to use a single remote filter, but I already had this double unit floating around the shop.

"So you need to buy double the amount of filters each oil change?"
Yep. Every 3,000 to 5000 miles.

"and then add more oil too!"
Oh yeah. Holds more oil now. About 9 quarts.

"You probably get a little more cooling surface area."
It's insignicant. Oil temps still occasionally rise to over 220.

"Buying two filters instead of one each oil change isn't going to break the bank, but I'd rather spend a little more on a higher quality oil filter."
True. That picture was taken just after install and those filters were on a shelf in the shop, so that's what went on.
I use larger WIX 51773 filters now.

"Actually ram does not have an oil cooler at the filter location, it has an oil heater. I am sure id has a double function though. Because it has a coolant attachment, the water warms faster than the oil, thus, they designate it as a heater. Weird, I now, but that's what they call it."
In the version of FSM that I have, it's called a cooler, but it's function is, as you state, to get the oil to engine coolant temperature quickly. So yes, it is a heater, because it can never cool oil below engine coolant temp. It acts as a moderator, to keep engine oil going into the engine at a relatively consistent temperature.

I change the oil and filters on this excellent engine every 3000 to 5000 miles, using quality filters and Rotella 5W-30 oil except in summer for long trips, when I will use Rotella 15W-40.
Oil and filters are cheap compared to the cost of replacing an engine. Mine is 70,000 miles old and still purrs like new.

The subject of oil and filtration has many sides and factions, and the debates continue on the usual oil and lubrication forums about best oil viscosity and oil change intervals.
The choices I make give me peace-of-mind. That's my benchmark.

Steve
For most, running dual filters is for improved filtering to allow longer drain intervals. There is really no benefit of a dual filter set up if you are using good filters and changing oil ever 3-5k miles.

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Oil temp isn't a huge issue. Engine oil is designed to run at higher temps. Too cold is more of an issue than too hot, as it would take longer to "burn off" moisture. Unless you are constantly overheating your engine, I wouldn't be too concerned about cooling the oil..

As far as pressures. Higher oil pressure from running two filters isn't necessarily a good thing either. The higher pressure is from more restriction through the filters. Theoretically, running two filters should decrease pressure because the surface area of the filter media is more. But definitely shouldn't increase oil pressure. My thoughts are the size of the oil lines/passages in the adapters is probably causing more restriction if you are seeing higher pressures. Ok once again, not a positive attribute.

I considered possible oil pressure reduction during the install, so parts took a while to assemble.
It uses 1/2" inside diameter fittings and hoses and double clamps at each hose end to guard against leaks.
The filters are in parallel, so total oil pressure is split between the filters for better flow.
Indicated oil pressure on the instrument cluster is normal, so flow rate is adequate.

Steve

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I considered possible oil pressure reduction during the install, so parts took a while to assemble.
It uses 1/2" inside diameter fittings and hoses and double clamps at each hose end to guard against leaks.
The filters are in parallel, so total oil pressure is split between the filters for better flow.
Indicated oil pressure on the instrument cluster is normal, so flow rate is adequate.

Steve
That reply was in reference to silver bullets quote from the other forum saying pressure increases and oil temps dropped

Users who are viewing this thread