5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil change

pasteris71

Reaction score
Just purchased my 2019 Ram Bighorn. Have roughly 300 miles on so far. What is the break in period and how soon do I need to change oil?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I received an email from my dealer suggesting initial oil change at 3000 for breakin

steindog

Reaction score
Any of the above posted mileages for first oil change seem reasonable to me. I just did my first one at 2388 miles and switched to 5W20 full synthetic. The break in oil was pretty dark even at 2388 miles but I'm sure it was still doing a great job lubricating the engine. No noticeable sediment in bottom of drain bucket to speak of. My question to those that have read up on the warranty as it relates to intervals and the oil monitoring system telling you when to change oil is if you're a low mileage driver you would likely exceed 12 months between changes. The way I read the warranty doesn't it seem like the "whatever comes first" wording means that time trumps mileage when it comes to staying in compliance with the warranty? If this is true we better never exceed 12 months between oil changes or possibly void warranty? Thoughts on this anyone?? Thanks.

steindog

Reaction score
Owner's manual is quite clear... if you are low mileage, once a year it is.

View attachment 14701
Yep that's how I understood it but I can see how the oil monitoring system could fool someone into thinking they're ok yet beyond 12 months and out of compliance. Good info to have out there in any case if anyone was not aware.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
There is no official or correct recommendation other than what makes you comfortable.

I did mine at 2k. There was clearly some metal sediment in the filter and some shimmer in the bottom of the oil. Take from that what you will.

I have no regrets

Highlander_1

Reaction score
My dad was a mechanic for 40 yrs, claimed he had a new car come back in because it wouldn't stop smoking, found out the owner changed to 100% synthetic oil too soon as the rings didn't fully seat. So i like to have at least 8000Mi before changing to let the break in oil do it thing, oil filter is there for a reason. just my two cents worth. Then I'll add my Amsoil.

U

User_3336

when was this? 40 years ago? my first oil change has always been at 2000 miles or earlier, and its always been to full synthetic.

My dad was a mechanic for 40 yrs, claimed he had a new car come back in because it wouldn't stop smoking, found out the owner changed to 100% synthetic oil too soon as the rings didn't fully seat. So i like to have at least 8000Mi before changing to let the break in oil do it thing, oil filter is there for a reason. just my two cents worth. Then I'll add my Amsoil.

Highlander_1

Reaction score
when was this? 40 years ago? my first oil change has always been at 2000 miles or earlier, and its always been to full synthetic.

Actually it was. 40yrs ago. His point to me was allow the rings a chance to seat before going to synthetic, that was all.. as I was had just purchased a new car and was asking the same question everyone else does when to change the break-in oil out.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually it was. 40yrs ago. His point to me was allow the rings a chance to seat before going to synthetic, that was all.. as I was had just purchased a new car and was asking the same question everyone else does when to change the break-in oil out.

Not trying to be a **** here (its difficult for me, ok?) but this makes no sense to me. Unless synthetic oil means something completely different nowadays, I have a very hard time believe the proper weight and amount of synthetic oil would be THE cause of a vehicle's engine smoking. Not trying to call you or your dad out, I'm just saying that if it were my money, I'd bet it was something else.

U

User_3336

Just wondering how the comment was relevant to 2019.

smikels

Reaction score
Changing the oil when the light comes on. I take it that is 10k miles. Not there yet. I am sure most people put at least 10k miles a year on their vehicles. No use throwing paying for oil beforehand in my experience. I think people are in a mindset that they need to change it early cause it is better for their vehicles. Wonder how many actually keep their vehicles long enough for it to really matter if it actually did.

Ride2little

Reaction score
My initial change was at 2000 miles. I plan to change it again at 5K, just to get into the rhythm since I change mine at 5K intervals. It's just an easy thing to keep track of.
My Toyota FJ Cruiser ran like new when I sold it w 230K miles.
As did my Chevy Tahoe w 265K miles until it was totaled.
Oil, injector cleaner and tire rotations at 5 K. Seems like a good formula tor me.

Last edited:

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If yours is an ecodiesel I can assure you the rings are just peachy, not like a gas engine.

Users who are viewing this thread