5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Change with a Ram AirFlow CAI installed

raygun9

Reaction score
I've been researching this intake and the G/T exhaust for my rebel and I gotta ask the folks with the CAI.. how much of a PITA is it to change your oil? I'm trying to see how you could fill it without remove the CAI/Cover and it might just be the angles of the camera on all the install videos I watched but it looks like you have to take off the CAI to fill?
Thanks!

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yup. No problem at all. Beat me to posting my pic.😀

Just did my second oil change a few days ago. Easy peasy. 10,000 miles and the air filter still looks like new.

raygun9

Reaction score
I just traded my 2012 for a 2020 rebel and I'm itching to start the mods. Not sure if I should go with this first or try and track down that G/T exhaust and go with that.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ive been eyeing the Ram air intake, but it's just so expensive. I thoght when I bought an Airad air intake for $440 it was overpriced as hell, but the $650 I have seen the Ram air go for, or the $1k they want you to pay is just bonkers.

I think you may also need to do things with the front grill to get the proper usage of the intake at higher speeds also as it closes off the front.

raygun9

Reaction score
Don't get the whimpy GT exhaust (Borla S type), get aa Borla Atak
Ive been listening to them, but I do a lot of 3-4 hour weekend road trips. Figured the S type was easier on the drone on the inside.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ive been listening to them, but I do a lot of 3-4 hour weekend road trips. Figured the S type was easier on the drone on the inside.

There is zero drone with the ATAK when cruising. Don't let that effect your decision. Anyone that says there is drone doesn't know what drone is. When cruising, you hear the exhaust a little bit, but not intrusive and can still carry in normal conversation with passenger or make hand free calls without issue. My Kenda Klever M/T tires make more noise in freeway than my Borla ATAK

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ive been eyeing the Ram air intake, but it's just so expensive. I thoght when I bought an Airad air intake for $440 it was overpriced as hell, but the $650 I have seen the Ram air go for, or the $1k they want you to pay is just bonkers.

I think you may also need to do things with the front grill to get the proper usage of the intake at higher speeds also as it closes off the front.
Then get the Vararam for under $400. And other than the radiator cover trimmingz there isn't anything you need to do to the front of the truck. The grill shutters don't completely block off airflow like some want to make you think

Attachments

• PXL_20220409_221258841.jpg
    PXL_20220409_221258841.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 28

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score

my last ram had a magnaflow 18inch (mufflex 18), it was loud, specially in the morning for the neighbours.

now my gt exhaust, I find is perfect, love the sound tone, and love the level of sound. of cours in the truck with the sound cancellation option i dont hear it as much as outside... i recently took care of that :) with the adapter to cancell that

so time to time it make me think its not loud but as soon i hear my truck when my wife takes it or if a window is down,.. i remember its perfect for me.

if your looking for a loud agressive sound then its not enough for you, this is medium sound

(lets say just to give an idea (not scientific), stock is no sound, basic after market are low sound, medium aftermarket would be medium(like the GT), agressive after market would be loud ,and straight pipe would be loud agressive)

if your looking into GT exhaust you could also just by the gt muffler, and get the resonator delet kit from flowmaster, it come with black tips too. then you would get the same gt sound but a litlle more loud/agressive and you would save on the gt resonator(not buying them)

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ive been eyeing the Ram air intake, but it's just so expensive.

In all fairness, you do get a lot more with the Mopar kit. It bolts to the hood opening, wheras Vararam just sits on the throttle body. And it comes with a "beauty cover" so you don't have to trim the radiator cover. And a hole filler for the stock airbox opening. And a better solution for the crankcase vent. So yeah it costs more, but there are reasons.

I've eyed it, too. Decided not. Then looked at it again and put it off indefinitely. Still sitting on the fence. If someone comes up with a good dual battery solution, that might tip me over.

FWIW, the stock 1500 already has a cold air intake. Performance-wise, you probably get more bang for the buck just by cutting out the carbon filter and throwing in a K&N cartridge. I don't necessarily recommend that, just sayin'....

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Then get the Vararam for under $400. And other than the radiator cover trimmingz there isn't anything you need to do to the front of the truck. The grill shutters don't completely block off airflow like some want to make you think
I have been considering that one too.
I feel like I would still want to take some of the shutters off though. I question how much better airflow you would get with removing the shutters vs a new air intake...
People say they can hear the air intake after they replace it, but I just don't know how I could hear anything over my exhausts 🤷‍♂️
In all fairness, you do get a lot more with the Mopar kit. It bolts to the hood opening, wheras Vararam just sits on the throttle body. And it comes with a "beauty cover" so you don't have to trim the radiator cover. And a hole filler for the stock airbox opening. And a better solution for the crankcase vent. So yeah it costs more, but there are reasons.

I've eyed it, too. Decided not. Then looked at it again and put it off indefinitely. Still sitting on the fence. If someone comes up with a good dual battery solution, that might tip me over.

FWIW, the stock 1500 already has a cold air intake. Performance-wise, you probably get more bang for the buck just by cutting out the carbon filter and throwing in a K&N cartridge. I don't necessarily recommend that, just sayin'....
I removed the carbon filter and noticed a MPG increase, not sure if it was just break in or what but it was around 2 MPG as crazy as that sounds.
I haven't threw in a K&N yet as i'm still on the fence weather I want to slap an aftermarket in. My truck is tuned but I don't think i'm going to get any extra juice from it, i'm not going to hear it, and I don't show off the inside of my engine compartment (and my catch can already makes it look like Frankenstein lives inside it).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I removed.my carbon filter before I got my Vararam. I honestly do not see how it could be a restriction in the intake. It has more open space for airflow than the stock paper filter below it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I removed.my carbon filter before I got my Vararam. I honestly do not see how it could be a restriction in the intake. It has more open space for airflow than the stock paper filter below it.
I mean I put it in front of my face and tried to blow really hard and I couldn't get air into it.
I know very a scientific test.

On a side note, do you think I could fit a Vararam in here?
I could try to find another way to mount my can, possibly where to current box is if needed I think.
2022-04-17 10.03.00.jpg 2022-04-16 17.09.54.jpg 2022-04-16 17.09.34.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I mean I put it in front of my face and tried to blow really hard and I couldn't get air into it.
I know very a scientific test.

On a side note, do you think I could fit a Vararam in here?
I could try to find another way to mount my can, possibly where to current box is if needed I think.
View attachment 143025 View attachment 143027 View attachment 143026
That shouldnt interfere with the Vararam at all. And if nothing else, you could move it to the open space created when you remove factory airbox.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That shouldnt interfere with the Vararam at all. And if nothing else, you could move it to the open space created when you remove factory airbox.
I guess i'm putting the Vararam on my xmas list for my wife then for a Spring time project

Users who are viewing this thread