5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil change trick to keep it clean + 5w30 info

SpookyWatcher

Reaction score
Quick and dirty thread. Change your oil when it's bone cold. (eg not driven for long enough that it's room temp) There was no splatter on the sway bar. Zero. It just beautifully arc'd over it until it was a dribble then it dripped on the sway bar. No bid deal. EASY Peasy and Zero mess. When I changed the oil when it was slightly warm it was one of the biggest messes I have ever made.

Next, my buddy was changing his oil on his rebel when I pulled up. He had 5w30 mobil 1 sitting there. He's got 6000 miles on his rebel and changing out the factory. He put in the mobil 1 and fired it up and it was night and day difference. Sounded so much better. The ticking was GONE. The engine just sounded so much happier. So I asked him if I could test drive it real quick. MDS worked perfectly and it was a cold start and a cool morning 57 degs'ish. No issues whatsoever that I could tell from the quick test drive. I'll have him tell me what his mileage does. But it might just be anecdotal because it's still breaking in. But seriously...damn that engine sounded soooo much better.

I reminded him about the required weight for warranty etc...his reply: "F*** em and feed em fish heads. I ain't putting that thin sh** in this thing". :D

Just info I'm passing along. I am NOT recommending anyone deviate from factory. You make that choice for yourself. But the difference was remarkable. I myself am still running 5w20. But I might switch to mobil1 from pup to see if any difference.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
Uh oh - an oil thread. This will surely go over as well as the 3.12 vs 3.92 threads...

For the record I'm a Mobil1 fan coming from GM products but haven't tried it on the Ram yet.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You likely won't have any issues from going with thicker oil, except probably the MDS may not operate as well and you could probably have heavier wear on your upper-vavletrain, but that could take many thousands of miles to ever be noticeable and probably only a teardown would ever notice it.

The reason for the lighter oil isn't just mpg, but it does help with lubrication in higher tolerance engines. Will going thicker make a difference in the long-terms, we honestly don't truly know. The engine sounding better to your ears doesn't mean it's actually running better. Thicker oil could be muffling normal mechanical sounds while maybe not offering the best lubrication in tighter places.

I still don't recommend you do anything beyond the recommended oil types until your 5yr/60K warranty is over, you never know if your engine has the roller pin issue. You can get Mobil 1 oils that are Chrysler certified, such as 5W-20.

SpookyWatcher

Reaction score
The big take away is changing the oil when it's cold. There was ZERO sway bar splash mess. It just beautifully arc'd over with zero mess. And this was on level ground without raising the front end.

The oil weight was a "huh..nice to know".

Users who are viewing this thread